Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
May 4, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #7,021 of 9,638
I got both, first bought the Z7 (mid 2017), 5 months later the Z1R. IME as @Redcarmoose, they have enough different characters to use them according to genre. The Z7 suits more rock oriented genres, while the Z1R fits more bass oriented ones. The Z7 it's also more convenient for moving around the house and do work, while Z1R it's best to just sit, relax and listen.

The Z1R it's way more comfortable in the long run, as the pads have better cushioning and real letter (they're still holding as day 1), while the Z7's pads are starting to feel a little squashed. To me it was worth the upgrade and will continue to own them.
Exactly.

May 4, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #7,022 of 9,638
B4EFA2DC-1F79-4440-9314-7657D8EA8CCF.jpeg

The MDR-Z7 can scale up, but I have found it’s more dependent on equipment than the MDR-Z1R? Meaning (to me) it’s absolutely perfect with....

MDR-Z7 to Kimber to TA from 1Z and Cradle via AQ Carbon
(high-gain, DSEE HX, DSD RE, LINEARIZER) (firmware 1.03)
(Without this front-end, the MDR-Z7 would be worthless to me?)

In that configuration it’s priceless, yet with other combos I can’t listen to it. Underpowered it has a really bad signature. I assume Sony were using it with premium gear in the testing process? The MDR-Z1R is slightly more forgiving of bad equipment.

The Z7 is very dependent of what’s upstream. IMO probably amazing with the DMP-Z1?

But my love affair with the Z7 is unexpected; I purchased it after the MDR-Z1R? As an open box for $360 I still can’t get over how it sounds with Goa Trance. Still without the correct front-end the Z7 is muddy and temperamental.

I actually listen to IEMs more, but the thrill is hearing/feeling the headphones shake as an alternative to the IEM response. The MDR-Z7 does that in the most profound way? I mean probably all types of headphones do that? But the MDR-Z7 really vibrates, as well as a more focused rendition of elements than the MDR-Z1R does. It’s a guilty pleasure in it’s methods, not really rough at all, just more focused? In the above configuration it does all genres well, but I love it with EDM.

This style of bass.

Cheers!

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #7,023 of 9,638
The impact is quite profound in my experience. Z1R paired with the TA amp, a Naim Uniti Atom streamer and all Nordost Frey 2 power coming from an Ansuz Acoustics power distributor along with Nordost Tyr 2 rca interconnects made them sound almost as if they were open back. They certainly sounded better than Sonoma M1 that I still have. It was the weirdest thing. Granted the streamer and the choice of interconnects was wrong given that Sony TA digitizes its rca inputs but this setup worked quite well until I found something immensely better.

The thing is, I have no regrets with the switch to Chord Dave. It pairs extremely well with Meze Empyrean to the point that I’m thinking that this can be my main pair of headphones for quite a while without thinking of chasing after novelty. All I’m really thinking of adding is the M Scaler and that’s it. I already have a streamer that I’m satisfied with. End game might be within reach.
I tried them with a DMP-z1, wpw soundstage increased even better.

isnt the DAve single-ended? Maybe is the reason you hear it small

May 5, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #7,024 of 9,638
_20210505_171636.JPG

Guess I'm moving up the range, 6312 to 8483
so far my first impression is the same as Sacguy's
Yep, I had the Z7 (first version) and once I got the Z1R I sold my Z7. It retained the main things I loved about the Z7 (comfort, plentiful bass, build quality, laid-back nature) but added a greater degree of resolution and clarity. I also think the bass on the Z1R is notably cleaner.
now I do get why some reviewer said the Z7 is build a tad better than Z1R, the Z7 does feel a bit sturdier, and the Z1R has the ring around the baffle made from plastic, while the Z7's cups are all a single piece of metal.
a detail I missed when i dont have the two side by side like this.

So far I'm not tempted to keep the Z7, keep in mind my Z7 is not stock, I bought it used and the previous owner changed the pads to a nondescript velour pads, as the OG pair had already deteriorated badly, I just stuck with it as with it on I still love its sound to bits. one to note is with the velour pads, my Z7 is pretty heavy to drive, it's about as hard as my T1 at - 28 to- 19 dB, while the Z1R are more comfortable around - 36 to - 29dB balanced on my DX7s.
So you can say I never knew how Z7 stock sounds like.
"Fly Away" by Adikara Fardy man that opening passage is so emotional with the Z1R. I think this headphone has the best rendition of male vocal I've ever heard.
Its not as laid back as my Z7 is, more energetic, more engaging, bass reach deeper, a tad clearer, around the same level of detail retrieval as my T1.
But yes the Z7 and Z1R are of the same signature at heart.
My ear time with it is still less than a couple hours R/N.

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #7,025 of 9,638
. It would be awesome if Sony had an open back version of the Z1R.
yeah... they need to release a new open back to replace last of its kind from Sony, MDR MA900 indeed.

May 5, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #7,026 of 9,638

Guess I'm moving up the range, 6312 to 8483
so far my first impression is the same as Sacguy's

now I do get why some reviewer said the Z7 is build a tad better than Z1R, the Z7 does feel a bit sturdier, and the Z1R has the ring around the baffle made from plastic, while the Z7's cups are all a single piece of metal.
a detail I missed when i dont have the two side by side like this.

So far I'm not tempted to keep the Z7, keep in mind my Z7 is not stock, I bought it used and the previous owner changed the pads to a nondescript velour pads, as the OG pair had already deteriorated badly, I just stuck with it as with it on I still love its sound to bits. one to note is with the velour pads, my Z7 is pretty heavy to drive, it's about as hard as my T1 at - 28 to- 19 dB, while the Z1R are more comfortable around - 36 to - 29dB balanced on my DX7s.
So you can say I never knew how Z7 stock sounds like.
"Fly Away" by Adikara Fardy man that opening passage is so emotional with the Z1R. I think this headphone has the best rendition of male vocal I've ever heard.
Its not as laid back as my Z7 is, more energetic, more engaging, bass reach deeper, a tad clearer, around the same level of detail retrieval as my T1.
But yes the Z7 and Z1R are of the same signature at heart.
My ear time with it is still less than a couple hours R/N.
Comparing stock to stock, I would say the Z1R has brighter treble and mellower, less bloomy/fat bass. It took a bit to get used to, but I ultimately found it superior.

I find the Z1R slightly less comfortable. It's heavier and bigger, and the lower hanging cable jacks mean that there are fewer comfortable positions (say, resting on a pillow). With that said, I think they're nicer looking than Z7, at least off the head (I feel like a total dorkus if I see myself in the mirror with Z1R on). On the head, the Z7 is more svelte. The Z1R grille is really visually interesting and the black metal is really tasteful. The Z1R pads are higher quality for sure, and last a lot longer with no obvious changes. They're also way easier to remove and replace. And of course you get that sweet Z1R box :)

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #7,027 of 9,638
This thread just popped up when I looked at Head-Fi ...

I've been listening to my Z1R's a lot more since changing my setup. I am now listening with the Z1R's plugged into Chord TT2 and MScaler via a Vetere USB from an Auralic G1.

This is after just the TT2, before that the Sony TA-ZH1 headphone amp and before that the Pioneer U-05.

I have just noticed that the SQ via the Chord combo really brings the Z1R to a great level. No, it obviously doesn't change the overall signature but the headphones definitely benefit from the TT2/MSc.

Just my opinion having had all three amps FWIW :)

May 5, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #7,028 of 9,638
I tried them with a DMP-z1, wpw soundstage increased even better.

isnt the DAve single-ended? Maybe is the reason you hear it small

I suspect it’s down to synergy between Sony products. Dave is indeed single-ended but that’s not the issue. Their implementation is superb. It works wonders with Meze Empyrean which I powered using the TA amp in balanced mode before getting Dave. Width and depth of soundstage is superior on Dave’s single-ended output than on Sony’s balanced with the same set of cables. In any case, I’m getting a good deal for both as a trade in at a dealer where I bought Dave and plan to pick up an M Scaler this fall.

May 5, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #7,029 of 9,638
Nice to see more action on this thread the last few days.
Time to drag up an old topic - cables!

I recently changed from a Kimber Axios copper cable on my Utopia to the new Norne totl Vykari heavy guage copper+silver cable. Needless to say the result is outstanding. I can now have some Vykari adapters made to allow me to use this cable with my Z1R - or simply get a brand new Norne S4 all silver cable made for the Z1R.

My Utopia and various Stax headphones get most of my listening time however I like to keep a closed back headphone in my toolkit ie the Z1R - even if it is not used that much.

I guess my question is as old as this thread - an all silver cable for the Z1R - or my new copper+silver Vykari (which are seperate copper and silver cables - not plated)?

May 5, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #7,030 of 9,638

I recently changed from a Kimber Axios copper cable on my Utopia to the new Norne totl Vykari heavy guage copper+silver cable. Needless to say the result is outstanding. I can now have some Vykari adapters made to allow me to use this cable with my Z1R - or simply get a brand new Norne S4 all silver cable made for the Z1R.

My Utopia and various Stax headphones get most of my listening time however I like to keep a closed back headphone in my toolkit ie the Z1R - even if it is not used that much.

I guess my question is as old as this thread - an all silver cable for the Z1R - or my new copper+silver Vykari (which are seperate copper and silver cables - not plated)?
I switched from the AXIOS Cu to the DHC Prion4 all silver and it was a significant upgrade. Deeper more detailed bass, wide detailed soundstage and smooth top to bottom.

May 5, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #7,031 of 9,638

Yes, it seems no one has poked the bear with the stick for a while.😁😁😁 The last time we had a discussion about cables, some people really got riled up. It was almost like a religious debate. In my experience, which seems to differ quite a lot from others on this headphone, the less silver the better. But if you really want some silver in your sound chain, go with a hybrid rather than an all silver.

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #7,032 of 9,638
This thread just popped up when I looked at Head-Fi ...

I've been listening to my Z1R's a lot more since changing my setup. I am now listening with the Z1R's plugged into Chord TT2 and MScaler via a Vetere USB from an Auralic G1.

This is after just the TT2, before that the Sony TA-ZH1 headphone amp and before that the Pioneer U-05.

I have just noticed that the SQ via the Chord combo really brings the Z1R to a great level. No, it obviously doesn't change the overall signature but the headphones definitely benefit from the TT2/MSc.

Just my opinion having had all three amps FWIW :)
That’s interesting. I listened to my Z1R with the TA-ZH1ES and it sounded great. Recently I upgraded to Chord Dave and Im not liking the sound of Z1R much at all. Under some conditions Z1R can sound almost like it’s open back. Do you ever get the impression that the presentation is just too closed in? Crossfeed didn’t seem to solve this problem for me.

May 5, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #7,033 of 9,638
OK
so we have
1 for all silver
and
1 for hybrid copper/silver

Anyone else care to bite?

May 5, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #7,034 of 9,638
I suspect it’s down to synergy between Sony products. Dave is indeed single-ended but that’s not the issue. Their implementation is superb. It works wonders with Meze Empyrean which I powered using the TA amp in balanced mode before getting Dave. Width and depth of soundstage is superior on Dave’s single-ended output than on Sony’s balanced with the same set of cables. In any case, I’m getting a good deal for both as a trade in at a dealer where I bought Dave and plan to pick up an M Scaler this fall.
Maybe you would buy a "relative cheap" Flux lab FA 10 to run the Z1Rs in order to keep them. @Slim1970 likes the sinergy a lot (I think he used Chord Hugo TT2 and some other DAC with that combo)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back