Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jan 9, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #6,406 of 9,746
hahaha no worries, I had a 701 before love the looks so much, but never get the sound right for me.

now I guess I just need to find a good deal on z1r and TA :)

The TA don’t really have power enough for most planars but other than that to me it has power enough for most anything else and the versatillity is enormous and I love the tone and musicallity

Jan 9, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #6,407 of 9,746
The TA don’t really have power enough for most planars but other than that to me it has power enough for most anything else and the versatillity is enormous and I love the tone and musicallity
I didn't notice any issues driving the LCD-X on the TA other than it doesn't sound as good as my MDR-Z1R.

Jan 9, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #6,408 of 9,746
I didn't notice any issues driving the LCD-X on the TA other than it doesn't sound as good as my MDR-Z1R.

I tried 2 HiFiMan, the HE-500 and the (cough cough) HE-6 and to me they were both lacking on the TA compared to the RudiStor RPX-100 I had before, but after getting the Z1R I sold them both

Jan 9, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #6,409 of 9,746
I was lucky to find a local audio store had the Z1R's BNIB for $1499. I had them for a week before I found a ta-z1hes on crutchfield scratch/dent for $1498. The ta-z1hes was returnable incase it was really a scratch/dent. Luckily it is flawless and I don't think I've talked to my wife for 3 days, haha. My only other headphones were a pair of Aeon closed and a drop noble iem. I think I prefer headphones that are warm easy/enjoyable to listen to but we will see over time. These have been great for just about everything that I enjoy listening to (electronic/hardcore/soundtracks/hiphop/punk).

I see myself exploring the abyss diana v2 or meze empyrean as I just want to enjoy the music I listen to and am not overly concerned with extreme separation/detail which I read can be fatiguing.

Jan 10, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #6,411 of 9,746
Jan 13, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #6,413 of 9,746
Well, I've had my Z1R for two days now and have started to form some impressions.

I am coming from Z7. I use the WM1A Walkman with the balanced Kimber Kable, in High Gain mode. I do not own an amplifier. My listening is primarily classical, with rock and Jazz as my next most listened-to genres.

When I first put the Z1R on and played some of my go-to tracks (CD-quality FLAC up to DSD), it was clear the the bass performance is similar to the Z7, which is good. But things seemed bloomy and thick in the mid-bass region, which struck me as odd because most people I've seen say the Z1R is superior to the Z7 in that respect. Vocals seemed slightly recessed, too. I had a twinge of "Oh God, what have I done..." but then got to work with EQ.

Pictured is what I arrived at for EQ.

DSC_7312.JPG

Brain burn-in is a real thing, and I can't say whether it is all EQ or just acclimatization, but things are definitely sounding better to me on night 2.

The fit and finish are of course unimpeachable. I kind of feel like the body is ever so slightly more microphonic than the Z7? It could be that the shape of the hanger just hits my winter-time sweater more.

Overall, the Z7 seems very close in terms of overall performance, but I haven't had time to really live with the Z1R yet. I wonder if this is one of those "90% of the performance for 40% of the price" situations.

I would be very interested to hear from others with respect to what EQ work you've done, cable and amp pairings, whatever, to get things sounding "just right" to your ears.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #6,414 of 9,746
Well, I've had my Z1R for two days now and have started to form some impressions.

I am coming from Z7. I use the WM1A Walkman with the balanced Kimber Kable, in High Gain mode. I do not own an amplifier. My listening is primarily classical, with rock and Jazz as my next most listened-to genres.

When I first put the Z1R on and played some of my go-to tracks (CD-quality FLAC up to DSD), it was clear the the bass performance is similar to the Z7, which is good. But things seemed bloomy and thick in the mid-bass region, which struck me as odd because most people I've seen say the Z1R is superior to the Z7 in that respect. Vocals seemed slightly recessed, too. I had a twinge of "Oh God, what have I done..." but then got to work with EQ.

Brain burn-in is a real thing, and I can't say whether it is all EQ or just acclimatization, but things are definitely sounding better to me on night 2.

The fit and finish are of course unimpeachable. I kind of feel like the body is ever so slightly more microphonic than the Z7? It could be that the shape of the hanger just hits my winter-time sweater more.

Overall, the Z7 seems very close in terms of overall performance, but I haven't had time to really live with the Z1R yet. I wonder if this is one of those "90% of the performance for 40% of the price" situations.

I would be very interested to hear from others with respect to what EQ work you've done, cable and amp pairings, whatever, to get things sounding "just right" to your ears.

It took me a good few days before I started to get used to the signature of the Z1R and mine were a slightly used pair so not much burn-in needed. Over time they open up and the bass does get better too but it's always going to sound large and thick, and the mids even out as well.

Jan 13, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #6,415 of 9,746
It took me a good few days before I started to get used to the signature of the Z1R and mine were a slightly used pair so not much burn-in needed. Over time they open up and the bass does get better too but it's always going to sound large and thick, and the mids even out as well.

I've been skeptical of physical burn in, but maybe it's real? My Z7 was purchased used, and always felt like it had powerful bass but was still open and airy. I would read the reviews and scoff - no way is this bass muddy! Maybe the Z1R follows a similar curve? How long would you say it was before you noticed a change?

I wish we could do double blind tests with two Z1R units, one brand new and one 500 hours in :)

I'm listening to the Z1R as I type this and finding it excellent.

Jan 13, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #6,416 of 9,746

Not to rain on your newly embarked “parade”, as I too own the Z1R,Z7 and 1A. Typically though I found the new MrWalkman firmware to get the 1A way closer to desktop amp sound with both the Z1R and Z7.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-walkman-os-custom-firmware-non-android.943661/

It may be that his aftermarket firmware just gets stuff sounding slightly “closer” with the 1A? It’s so true that that lower midrange “fog” is one of the issues that will seem to clear itself magically-up after a few days of mental adaptation. The Kimber seems to add some corrections in that fog area as well as typically we always look at amp damping factor being expressed in that lower midrange area.

Typically while a very small aspect..........amping will somehow tighten the bass a tad, and remove the slight fog around it. The end results for many is they think the bass has been enhanced. But typically the desktop may only enhance the bass by only a dB. This effect is the psychological hearing effects of clearer bass sounding like more bass.

The phenomenon is so difficult to find truth in that many reviewers simply give up to question the reality of simply more bass or more clear bass emitted! Basically clearer bass and more bass are subjectively equals. :)

With my simple tests I was not able to get a signal from the 1A and later amplify it to be as clear as the MDR-Z7 and MDR-Z1R to the 1A 4.4mm output with the Kimber. Meaning that common sense would say, don’t have a TA, simply hook up the 3.5mm of the 1A to 3.5mmX2 to RCA and hook it to an extra amplifier for that damping factor?

It’s not that simple. It’s the closeness that the Walkmans do hooking to the full-size that has a magic. It’s in many ways hard to improve upon.

Keep in mind I’ve only done these tests with the small grouping of equipment I have. But there is a small improvement with getting the TA and joining it to the Z7 or MDR-Z1R. If that improvement is of value depends on the individual. It turns out these damping issues are multiplying by volume levels desired. Basically this means people that are super super low volume listeners will hear less of the damping artifacts on a daily basis........being still there, but minimized.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #6,417 of 9,746
Not to rain on your newly embarked “parade”, as I too own the Z1R,Z7 and 1A. Typically though I found the new MrWalkman firmware to get the 1A way closer to desktop amp sound with both the Z1R and Z7.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-walkman-os-custom-firmware-non-android.943661/

It may be that his aftermarket firmware just gets stuff sounding slightly “closer” with the 1A? It’s so true that that lower midrange “fog” is one of the issues that will seem to clear itself magically-up after a few days of mental adaptation. The Kimber seems to add some corrections in that fog area as well as typically we always look at amp damping factor being expressed in that lower midrange area.

Typically while a very small aspect..........amping will somehow tighten the bass a tad, and remove the slight fog around it. The end results for many is they think the bass has been enhanced. But typically the desktop may only enhance the bass by only a dB. This effect is the psychological hearing effects of clearer bass sounding like more bass.

The phenomenon is so difficult to find truth in that many reviewers simply give up to question the reality of simply more bass or more clear bass emitted! Basically clearer bass and more bass are subjectively equals. :)

I'm chalking it up to brain burn-in as of right now. After EQ-ing and just listening to music tonight, I'm feeling good about it. Things are very clear, with good bass and overall detail. I find myself turning things down to 46-48 instead of the 50 that was my standard listening level with the Z7.

Jan 13, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #6,418 of 9,746
I'm chalking it up to brain burn-in as of right now. After EQ-ing and just listening to music tonight, I'm feeling good about it. Things are very clear, with good bass and overall detail. I find myself turning things down to 46-48 instead of the 50 that was my standard listening level with the Z7.

Many in this thread if you go back, have had that fog brain burn-in thing take place. Many found to just listen for 2 days with-out judging was the answer. For me I became used to the sound on day two.

Jan 13, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #6,419 of 9,746
Yep, i 'thought' i needed a high volume presuming the Z1R needed it to sound at their best, but ended up lowering the volume and that was an improvement, and more relaxing. These are a headphone that needs living with, and as George Michael said ' listen without predudice', they aren't there to analyse with, but to listen to music on in a relaxed and enjoyable way. After a while, your ears and mind accept them in a way that is heavenly, forgetting you are even wearing them, instead you have music reproducing inside your head. I dont think many put these on , listen to a couple of favourite tracks and fall in love immediately, they take some time to accustom to, but once you do, there is no going back.

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:01 AM Post #6,420 of 9,746
Yep, i 'thought' i needed a high volume presuming the Z1R needed it to sound at their best, but ended up lowering the volume and that was an improvement, and more relaxing. These are a headphone that needs living with, and as George Michael said ' listen without predudice', they aren't there to analyse with, but to listen to music on in a relaxed and enjoyable way. After a while, your ears and mind accept them in a way that is heavenly, forgetting you are even wearing them, instead you have music reproducing inside your head. I dont think many put these on , listen to a couple of favourite tracks and fall in love immediately, they take some time to accustom to, but once you do, there is no going back.

They can at times ask for volume to “hear” the midrange, so you crank it in a search but maybe they are the best when somehow you become tricked and they sound “all midrange”.

Note though volume has very little to do with damping factor. Damping factor is the amps ability to move the driver mechanically. It’s not loudness, stuff can be terribly loud and still be missing damping quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back