Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Sep 21, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #5,866 of 9,638
Yeah it is kinda expensive for something i can't audition. And for that kind of money i would expect them to blow the Z1R out of the water.
Better off trying HD820 if you want to hear a radically different sound than z1r

Sep 21, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #5,867 of 9,638
Better off trying HD820 if you want to hear a radically different sound than z1r
Yeah i'll give it a listen once my dealer starts allowing auditions again. Everyone seems to have their own issue with it , but it is currently less than half the price the of Verite.

Sep 21, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #5,868 of 9,638
Yeah i'll give it a listen once my dealer starts allowing auditions again. Everyone seems to have their own issue with it , but it is currently less than half the price the of Verite.
I think the main issue is a lot of people buy a closed back for enhanced bass pressure , but hd820 is more like the bass of an open back sounding headphone + isolation. So a different mission than the z1r and most closed backs and thus sounds a lot different than most closed backs.

Sep 21, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #5,869 of 9,638
Ok, so I had the Sony amp and Z1R and loved them. I moved to a Chord Hugo TT2 and then the MScaler connected via cables that cost too much but I loved the sound.

I have been mainly listening to my music - streamed from Tidal only - on Focal Stellia and Utopia headphones. I then decided to try my other 'favourites' the Ether 2 and Z1R. I have to say that both were great but the TT2/MSC combination makes the Z1R go to a different level. They are a great closed headphone anyway but I've found I am hearing more detail with them than I did with the Sony amp and it is a more 'comfortable' listen. The bass and sound signature of the Z1R is very present but the fog has been removed. I can't describe more but would simply say, if you have the Z1R and are looking at the Chord products then it really is worth demo'ing them ! I do not think anyone would be disappointed in the slightest ! *I know there is a huge cost implication but for those who may consider the move it is worth a try.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #5,870 of 9,638
Ok, so I had the Sony amp and Z1R and loved them. I moved to a Chord Hugo TT2 and then the MScaler connected via cables that cost too much but I loved the sound.

I have been mainly listening to my music - streamed from Tidal only - on Focal Stellia and Utopia headphones. I then decided to try my other 'favourites' the Ether 2 and Z1R. I have to say that both were great but the TT2/MSC combination makes the Z1R go to a different level. They are a great closed headphone anyway but I've found I am hearing more detail with them than I did with the Sony amp and it is a more 'comfortable' listen. The bass and sound signature of the Z1R is very present but the fog has been removed. I can't describe more but would simply say, if you have the Z1R and are looking at the Chord products then it really is worth demo'ing them ! I do not think anyone would be disappointed in the slightest ! *I know there is a huge cost implication but for those who may consider the move it is worth a try.
Ditto, only i made the mistake of also demo-ing Dave vs TT2+M-Scaler and at that moment price became just a number LOL.
Can't wait untill i get the M-scaler as well. The Z1R really do scale incredibly well. Are those Wave (I assume ) cables really worth it? I think i'd rather build my own with ferrites just out of principle.

Sep 21, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #5,871 of 9,638
Yeah it is kinda expensive for something i can't audition. And for that kind of money i would expect them to blow the Z1R out of the water.
The VC’s to my ears definitely do not blow the Z1R’s out of the water. They are a very enjoyable listen. The wood on the VC’s do give them a very natural sound and timbre as well. It’s a matter of taste at that price point, but the VC’s are worth a listen. They do a lot things well.

Sep 21, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #5,872 of 9,638
The VC’s to my ears definitely do not blow the Z1R’s out of the water. They are a very enjoyable listen. The wood on the VC’s do give them a very natural sound and timbre as well. It’s a matter of taste at that price point, but the VC’s are worth a listen. They do a lot things well.
Did you get a chance to listen to the Final Audio D8000 Pro?

Sep 21, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #5,873 of 9,638
I've read good reviews and had 1 person recommend it but was wondering if anyone could perhaps offer some input please on it's pros and cons compared to the TA-ZH1ES? Obviously a downside is I need a couple of adapters to connect my 4.4mm cables to it, but apart from that are there any issues using the Sony BCR-NWH10 to connect my WM1A to it? I've had portable amp/dacs before but this is new territory and also now owning a high end headphone like the Z1R it may not go well with certain amps.

No, there should be no issue. You just need a USB-B cable to connect the dock to TA-ZH1ES. I have all (1A, TA-ZH1ES, Z1R, BCR-NWH10) except for the Kimber cable.

Sep 21, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #5,874 of 9,638
No, there should be no issue. You just need a USB-B cable to connect the dock to TA-ZH1ES. I have all (1A, TA-ZH1ES, Z1R, BCR-NWH10) except for the Kimber cable.
Thanks for your reply, I was actually meaning if I purchased the RME ADI amp if there was anything that may make the TA-ZH1ES a better option for Walkman connectivity.

Sep 21, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #5,875 of 9,638
Thanks for your reply, I was actually meaning if I purchased the RME ADI amp if there was anything that may make the TA-ZH1ES a better option for Walkman connectivity.

The connection between WM1A to RME ADI amp vs TA-ZH1ES should be similar. Your consideration should be what do you want to use them for? The reason I chose TA-ZH1ES is for the synergy between sony products, it's also a good amp for my other headphones. I loved all the different connection options eventhough I mostly use the 4.4MM balance option.

Sep 21, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #5,876 of 9,638
I just want to use headphone out.
I had said that the TA-ZH1ES is the most obvious choice for connections, synergy and support and tips from so many other users but if I can't stretch financially I was hoping for some feedback on the RME ADI-2 as a more affordable option. The RME ADI-2 gets very good reviews but as I will be using my MDR-Z1R I would like to know if they go well together.
If cost wasn't a factor I'd definitely go for the TA-ZH1ES.

Sep 21, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #5,877 of 9,638
Did you get a chance to listen to the Final Audio D8000 Pro?
Not yet. It's one of the few headphones that have eluded me.

Sep 22, 2020 at 2:38 AM Post #5,879 of 9,638
Ditto, only i made the mistake of also demo-ing Dave vs TT2+M-Scaler and at that moment price became just a number LOL.
Can't wait untill i get the M-scaler as well. The Z1R really do scale incredibly well. Are those Wave (I assume ) cables really worth it? I think i'd rather build my own with ferrites just out of principle.

I deliberately didn't listen to the Dave !

I was going to audition WAVE cables but wasn't able to in the end so went with Chord Signature super aray to connect the TT2 to the MSC. I think the std BNC cables are ok but couldn't help upgrading :)

Sep 22, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #5,880 of 9,638
I just want to use headphone out.
I had said that the TA-ZH1ES is the most obvious choice for connections, synergy and support and tips from so many other users but if I can't stretch financially I was hoping for some feedback on the RME ADI-2 as a more affordable option. The RME ADI-2 gets very good reviews but as I will be using my MDR-Z1R I would like to know if they go well together.
If cost wasn't a factor I'd definitely go for the TA-ZH1ES.
Reach for the stars man :p I got my TA for 1.1k off Amazon uk, open box. There are deals if you shop around.
@darmccombs Can comment more on the Z1R and ADI-2/TA since he has all 3.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back