Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jul 31, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #5,431 of 9,638
I agree. The stock SPC sounds ok, but there is some harshness and the Z1R has peaky highs with this cable. The next up the price line seems to be the Sony/Kimber copper cable. This removes the harshness and high peaks to a great degree, and is affordable. I found this to be pretty good bang for the buck.

Going up the line is thicker (and/or more pure) copper, and silver cables. They can provide a little further refinement, at a significant cost increase. It just depends how much you are willing to spend. Some folks are fine spending $500+ to get the last bit of improvement from the Z1R. I figured if I was going to spend that much on a cable to improve the Z1R, maybe I should take that money and improve my amp. For those willing to add $500+ to this Z1R investment, there are lots of options going cable improvement, or headphone improvement, or other chain improvements.

None of these choices are wrong, that's the fun part of this hobby. By buying a Sony/Kimber cable to get rid on the major harshness and peaky highs, I had some $$$ left over for other improvements. It's all trade-offs and system synergy...

Absolutely it is fun but with every turn you make the wallet is screaming 🤣🤣🤣

Jul 31, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #5,433 of 9,638
I personally never said that we are on the topic of cables. As usual I was misquoted. To wit I wrote "they go hand in hand, they compliment each other" For the ultimate audio playback I feel there is not one with out the other. Therefore, both are required. I never brought up a conversation of cables. I picked this one. Done. Perhaps it could sound even better to me. Not worth my time. I am elated with them as they stand, I am using an Audio Technica AT-HA5050H

Jul 31, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #5,434 of 9,638
I personally never said that we are on the topic of cables. As usual I was misquoted. To wit I wrote "they go hand in hand, they compliment each other" For the ultimate audio playback I feel there is not one with out the other. Therefore, both are required. I never brought up a conversation of cables. I picked this one. Done. Perhaps it could sound even better to me. Not worth my time. I am elated with them as they stand, I am using an Audio Technica AT-HA5050H

Well that wasn't in response to you specifically, but since you are very experienced with cables (I've read some of your other posts in this thread) do you have any budget friendly tips on upgrades from the stock cable?

Jul 31, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #5,436 of 9,638
Well that wasn't in response to you specifically, but since you are very experienced with cables (I've read some of your other posts in this thread) do you have any budget friendly tips on upgrades from the stock cable?
Triton Cables has an all copper cable that starts at $199. I have the IEM version, nice cable.

Jul 31, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #5,437 of 9,638
So since we're on the topic of cables, and I need a new cable... Could you guys comment on a replacement for the z1r that is ~$200 and balanced? I was thinking of looking at ebay since Sony doesn't sell the kimber anymore.

I'm using GU Craftsman cable. They have copper & silver, Price is reasonable, quality is pretty good. I wish they offer longer one on their store. I find 1.2M is shorter than what I need. I find it better than stock cable but I'm not that gifted to hear the differences between cable. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000402408073.html?spm=2114.12010615.8148356.3.69a01263QWs5DZ

Jul 31, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #5,438 of 9,638
Look up Dyson Audio on Ebay, Message him. He will build you an incredible custom cable for cheap. Nothing will beat it.

Edit: dysonaudio dot com

He will take care of you there. I suggest that you do not get what he has ready made but something completely custom. It is not going to be a fortune. I recommend silver for the Z1R. It is not bright at all IMO.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #5,439 of 9,638
I mean no offense but your posts are hard to understand. I said I did not want to talk about cables, okay. I consider it one of a whole. Therefore Sony should have charged more and included it. I do not really care if these were $6000.00USD headphones but came sounding the right way. They should have IMO. Sony has made plenty high end gear before. $18000.00 is too cheap for these IMO. Price and performance should have surpassed the Utopia. Mine do but I had to go to two stores.

All I want to say is that as of now for Dynamic these are my Grail. Maybe one day something better comes along.

They obviously cannot compete with high end electrostatic.

Aug 1, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #5,440 of 9,638
I mean no offense but your posts are hard to understand. I said I did not want to talk about cables, okay. I consider it one of a whole. Therefore Sony should have charged more and included it. I do not really care if these were $6000.00USD headphones but came sounding the right way. They should have IMO. Sony has made plenty high end gear before. $18000.00 is too cheap for these IMO. Price and performance should have surpassed the Utopia. Mine do but I had to go to two stores.

All I want to say is that as of now for Dynamic these are my Grail. Maybe one day something better comes along.

No worries, I'm glad you're enjoying them. I also love them and want to get the best out of them. Which is why i was curious about the silver cables. For some of us, price is a consideration so i was just trying to find an alternative to your suggestion and an explanation as to why they might make such a difference.

Aug 1, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #5,442 of 9,638

Excellent post.

Aug 1, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #5,444 of 9,638

The MDR-Z1R should have come with different cables. Many feel other cables help the MDR become correct. It’s like buying a sports car with the wrong tires, the car will never reach what the engineers had planned. IMO

Aug 1, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #5,445 of 9,638
The MDR-Z1R should have come with different cables. Many feel other cables help the MDR become correct. It’s like buying a sports car with the wrong tires, the car will never reach what the engineers had planned. IMO
I clearly misjudged them, then the Kimber Kable made all the difference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back