Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jul 13, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #5,057 of 9,635
Thank you for the "Z1R v. Stellia" responses. The SONY's comparative treble response concerns me. I had a very short tenure with the Meze Empyrean because [I perceived that] their upper frequency response was somewhat "wanting" for a flagship offering.

The Z1R sounds like the antithesis of the older MDR-SA5000.

Jul 13, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #5,058 of 9,635
After ample time with both, I have decided to keep my z1rs over my stellias. The z1rs just do everything so well! For my uses, I game frequently while listening to music, so the Soundstage + imaging are superb, and the detailed bass is icing on the cake. The stellias are indeed more resolving, but as I've said previously aren't worth the thousand dollars extra.
I have reached my "temporary" end game with my thx 789, topping e-30 and z1rs. I'm not sure if an amp upgrade is even warranted at this point.

Jul 15, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #5,059 of 9,635
I've never tried the Stellia, but did consider them seriously. In talking with other folks that have tried them and the Z1R, some preferred the Z1R outright. Some others said it would be a side-grade, not an upgrade. And of course some chose the Stellia.

With all the Stellia hype, I expected most to say they preferred the Stellia, but it seems to come down to personal preferences. With the cost of the Stellias being almost double the Z1R, the Z1R is a relative bargain.

Jul 15, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #5,060 of 9,635
I've never tried the Stellia, but did consider them seriously. In talking with other folks that have tried them and the Z1R, some preferred the Z1R outright. Some others said it would be a side-grade, not an upgrade. And of course some chose the Stellia.

With all the Stellia hype, I expected most to say they preferred the Stellia, but it seems to come down to personal preferences. With the cost of the Stellias being almost double the Z1R, the Z1R is a relative bargain.
I totally prefer the z1r.

Jul 15, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #5,061 of 9,635

I have owned both and enjoy both quite a bit. That said, the Stellia are the ONLY closed back headphones that I finally feel that I'm not making any sacrifices for the noise isolation that closed-back headphones bring...they are a league above to my ears.

Jul 15, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #5,062 of 9,635
I have owned both and enjoy both quite a bit. That said, the Stellia are the ONLY closed back headphones that I finally feel that I'm not making any sacrifices for the noise isolation that closed-back headphones bring...they are a league above to my ears.
I'm still second guessing myself on which to get rid of. Thinking of keeping both!

Jul 16, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #5,064 of 9,635
I'm still second guessing myself on which to get rid of. Thinking of keeping both!
Or you can sell the Stellia, and buy the Vérité Closed instead? Then, you'll have 2 of the best closed-back headphones on the market - the Z1R and the VC. Heh. :wink:

Jul 16, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #5,065 of 9,635
I listened to the Z1Rs for hours last night and it was bliss. Boris Brejcha's new live stream on tidal sounded devine. Cigarettes After Sex, same thing. Two different genres and the Z1R is a master at both. I was looking at my empys and LCD 4s, and then said no and kept the Sony's on. These are just magical cans. I absolutely love them.

Jul 16, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #5,066 of 9,635

i wouldn't describe the stellia as a side-grade, but yes, it usually comes down to personal preference

Or you can sell the Stellia, and buy the Vérité Closed instead? Then, you'll have 2 of the best closed-back headphones on the market - the Z1R and the VC. Heh. :wink:
he appears to have made up his mind in the stellia thread :smiling_imp:

Jul 16, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #5,070 of 9,635

He would have 2 of the top 3...but in your suggestion, he'd be missing the top dog. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back