Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jul 12, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #5,042 of 9,644
Can anyone who has tried both the international version and the US version comment on differences? I am thinking of selling my used ones to buy new ones, but not sure if the US version is worth the $200 premium.

In performance there shouldn't be any differences...

Cosmetically, the Japanese version is unique in only having the serial number and slider step indicator numbers on the left side slider, whereas all other versions have the Sony address and CE, recycling, etc. markings there along with narrower slider step indicators.

Instruction manual language will of course also vary depending on the region.

That's about it, I think. There's also warranty coverage which can only provide servicing in the corresponding region (I don't think "grey market" imports violate warranty, but you'd have to ship them out to the corresponding area if in need of servicing).

Jul 12, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #5,043 of 9,644

Cosmetically, the Japanese version is unique in only having the serial number and slider step indicator numbers on the left side slider, whereas all other versions have the Sony address and CE, recycling, etc. markings there along with narrower slider step indicators.

That's about it, I think. There's also warranty coverage which can only provide servicing in the corresponding region (I don't think "grey market" imports violate warranty, but you'd have to ship them out to the corresponding area if in need of servicing).
Thank you so much for clearing that up!

Jul 12, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #5,046 of 9,644
I want to state again that these are beautiful and my favorite cans!
Hmm, I recall that you used to have the LCD-XC; it doesn't appear in your signature now, though. Have you sold it? Not that I would disagree; I find the Z1R a better-performing headphone than the Audeze in almost every aspect.

Jul 12, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #5,048 of 9,644
How do the Z1R compare with the Stellia?
Z1r have a bigger Soundstage and more of a mid-bass presence which I really like. Overall in sound quality I think the stellias win, but they aren't worth the extra 1000 dollars to me. Also z1rs are the more "heavy duty" headphone, where the stellias I just want to baby because they are prone to scratches.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #5,049 of 9,644

Right, local warranty in Japan, and the regular international warranty from my understanding?

Jul 12, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #5,050 of 9,644
Hmm, I recall that you used to have the LCD-XC; it doesn't appear in your signature now, though. Have you sold it? Not that I would disagree; I find the Z1R a better-performing headphone than the Audeze in almost every aspect.
Yes I sold the XC today actually. I can't listen to them anymore after the Z1Rs. I'm keeping the LCD 4s though.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #5,051 of 9,644
it's been a while since i compared the z1r and the stellia, so i've referred back to my impressions that i posted here shortly after i did: "the stellia's bass isn't as elevated as the z1r's, its mids are more prominent and it has more treble energy, giving it a more lively presentation overall to my ears."

Jul 13, 2020 at 6:34 AM Post #5,052 of 9,644
Yes I sold the XC today actually. I can't listen to them anymore after the Z1Rs. I'm keeping the LCD 4s though.
The LCD-4 is something else. Gobs of detail.. but that familiar Audeze house sound is still ever-present. It's certainly one for the Audeze fans, though.

Jul 13, 2020 at 6:40 AM Post #5,053 of 9,644
The Stellia is the slightly more resolving headphone. I find its treble section a little better controlled, too.

The Z1R, on the other hand, bests the Stellia in everything from the lower-mids to the sub-bass region. Bass texture on the Sony flagship is quite special, IMO. You have a robust low-end that is chock-full of texture, slam and rumble. Staging on the Z1R is also noticeably better than on the Stellia - the Focal sounds cramped in comparison. And whilst the following is a sentiment grounded in subjective preference, I think the Z1R handles vocals a lot better, too. There is energy and gravitas that most other headphones struggle to reproduce.

Jul 13, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #5,054 of 9,644
it's been a while since i compared the z1r and the stellia, so i've referred back to my impressions that i posted here shortly after i did: "the stellia's bass isn't as elevated as the z1r's, its mids are more prominent and it has more treble energy, giving it a more lively presentation overall to my ears."
That's exactly why I would not want it.

Jul 13, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #5,055 of 9,644
The Stellia is the slightly more resolving headphone. I find its treble section a little better controlled, too.

The Z1R, on the other hand, bests the Stellia in everything from the lower-mids to the sub-bass region. Bass texture on the Sony flagship is quite special, IMO. You have a robust low-end that is chock-full of texture, slam and rumble. Staging on the Z1R is also noticeably better than on the Stellia - the Focal sounds cramped in comparison. And whilst the following is a sentiment grounded in subjective preference, I think the Z1R handles vocals a lot better, too. There is energy and gravitas that most other headphones struggle to reproduce.
You described what I like about the Sony house sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back