Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jan 14, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #4,189 of 9,638
Picking up a pair of these this week. I won't say what used set in Aus cost, make most of you sadface.

Think I'll go the Sony/Kimber Cu straight up. Think the 4.4mm Balanced is the best option, then if need be adapter it back to unbalanced 3.5/6.5 ?

Jan 14, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #4,190 of 9,638
Don’t worry about what others might think of your price to purchase. Just think of the people who get a car or guitar for a great deal. As long as you have them you’re alright. Enjoy.
New price is retail. Used is what the market bears. No shame buying second hand. That’s my place, too.
I hope you have a great time listening!!!

Jan 14, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #4,191 of 9,638
Don’t worry about what others might think of your price to purchase. Just think of the people who get a car or guitar for a great deal. As long as you have them you’re alright. Enjoy.
New price is retail. Used is what the market bears. No shame buying second hand. That’s my place, too.
I hope you have a great time listening!!!
Yeah. No shame in it for sure! I have borrowed this pair before, I know they are mint. I mean they are already fairly cheap in Aus brand new, about $1100 USD.

Looking forward to some laid back chill time.

Now to find the Kimber. I think i'll get the 4.4mm balanced version. Fiio make a 4.4 B to 3.5 unbalanced adapter, so options there should need it.

Jan 16, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #4,194 of 9,638
Alright. Sitting here with them now.

I have a Audio GD NFB 11.28.

Wondering what Amps or Amp/Dac combos people are using and have good synergy with the Z1R.

Hunting down a Kimber/Sony Cu cable now too.

Jan 16, 2020 at 5:32 AM Post #4,195 of 9,638
I am using the TA-ZH1ES with the Z1R, and a Black Dragon Moon Audio cable over the balanced connection. I am very, very happy with that setup,
i tested it against the stock cable and like the sound better. Disadvantage of the moon cable, a tad to stiff, if you move with it, it creates audible noise.
I sit and read, so i have no problems until i start reaching for a coffee cup, or move to the other end of the couch.

That bit of annoyance is worth it for me though, as i needed:

a) a longer cable
b) i like the sound signature

I would prefer one with both above and no noise, but heck, the world is full of compromises.

I control the whole think using roon running against a raspberry pi with an audio card. Looks ugly, but works very very well :)

Frank

Jan 16, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #4,196 of 9,638
...Wondering what Amps or Amp/Dac combos people are using and have good synergy with the Z1R. ...
I’m using an RME ADI-2 DAC and it’s built-in amp. I use the parametric EQ of the DAC to move some of the peaks and valleys of the frequency response more towards the Harman curve. I posted my PEQ settings a few pages back.

I love the Z1Rs with this setup on the stock cable.

Jan 17, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #4,198 of 9,638
Looking for a endgame headphone for 80-90’s hip hop and electronic music. I want something that is warm, non fatiguing with as much detail, imaging and soundstage as possible. The headphone does not need to be closed but the Z1R is something that is in my radar. Based on the type of music I’m listening to I want the headphone to have great bass without destroying the midrange.

Mia the Z1R my endgame or should I look towards a like the Hifiman Arya?

Jan 17, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #4,199 of 9,638
Looking for a endgame headphone for 80-90’s hip hop and electronic music. I want something that is warm, non fatiguing with as much detail, imaging and soundstage as possible. The headphone does not need to be closed but the Z1R is something that is in my radar. Based on the type of music I’m listening to I want the headphone to have great bass without destroying the midrange.

Z1r is made for you man.... there is a good savimg going on in moon audio

Jan 17, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #4,200 of 9,638

Based on your requirement I recommend the hd800s, but If you can lose a little detail and soundstage please do consider the z1r.

The z1r has great detail and soundstage and the hd800s is only subtly better in these aspects in my opinion and with the z1r bass the music sound fuller and more impactful. I have both and I rarely pick up the hd800s these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back