Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jan 2, 2020 at 6:47 AM Post #4,141 of 9,746
Compared to the £300 chord mojo it is flat and extremely 2 dimensional in its presentation. It also sounds dull and plainly uniform across the different genres i tried from classical to female vocals etc etc. I had to dig hard to listen 'through' it as i felt the headphone was super smooth and unusually clear and exceedingly pleasant in its presentation which IMHO speaks volume for the mdr z1r and nothing for the dap. I'm worried about how much of this tuning ie the mdr z1r+top end sony dap might carry on through when using the sony headphone with electronics that are designed to truly handle headphones made by other manufacturers. I hope that makes sense. I tried richer sounds here in the UK to audition the sony with a mojo but it's a special sales item so nearly £300 is lost on my side once the box is opened should i decide to return. There is amazon as an option i may look into but i'm reluctant to fork out £1650 unless it's a sure bet.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #4,142 of 9,746
Micro dynamic receiver MDR just learnt that from the video very interesting.

Help needed. I tried the mdr z1r at Harrods a few weeks back whilst in London. I was very impressed overall by the SQ (very smooth and crystalline clear) and comfort. However i use exclusively chord dacs/headamps and i auditioned the mdr z1r in London listening through the TOTL sony dap the NW-WM1Z.

Honestly the hi end £2K plus sony dap was a joke (a £300 chord mojo kills it) and i don't want to trigger a discussion here it's just my feeling on this. Now if the mdr z1r is tuned with sony electronics should i worry if i bought the mdr z1r to use with chord gear? (quite a few posters say it pairs very well with chord gear). Would that tuning i talk about (with the top sony dap) carry on through when using electronics by non sony manufacturers? The mdr z1r sounded very good even if i did not like the sony dap used with it so i can project that forwards to hopefully give a result where the sony mdr z1r would then sound stellar with my chord stack. What does everyone think? I'm juggling the z1r with the denon 9200. For the sony this is my sticking point as just described. I have no other chance to audition the sony again.

If anyone is wondering why i still haven't bought the sony and am still lingering around here it's because my last allocated 'audio budget' went on upgrading my hugo 2 to a hugo tt2 which i use with a chord mscaler, Oppo PM1 with a pure silver dream 2 headphone cable with increasingly compelling results. The chord stack on its own is £7500 or $10,000 dollars. It's hard for me to understand how a mdr z1r can achieve even a fraction of its full potential through tinkering about with low fi daps. It does need very high quality amplification but not loads of power to show what it can do. This is by no means meant to be critical of anyone's set up but again just my true feelings.

I am really enamoured by the mdr z1r (a compliment to everyone here) and if i could just iron out these last creases it might be my end game headphone as i'm looking into a chord dave upgrade for 2020. Till now the mdr z1r is one of the only hi end headphones which are a comfortable fit for me as for fit i'm overly sensitive. Happy new year to all. MK.
I just need a worthy companion for my Oppo PM1 a different flavour if you like but one which improves on all fronts.(apologies for the large font the screen editor went crazy for some strange reason).

While I like the Z1R with the 1Z it might not be the ideal partner so if you otherwise liked the Z1R I think you will like it with Chord gear. I certainly do not share your oppinion of the 1Z and personally find the Mojo a joke (well not to my liking more like) but that is obviously how you hear it so that is fine.

Jan 2, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #4,143 of 9,746
thanks this is the advice i need. some detail as to how the z1r pairs with hi end gear especially chord. is the z1r transformed to a new sound once you move it away from sony gear towards other well reputed higher end manufacturers?

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #4,144 of 9,746
i'm yet to hear an amp or dac that "transforms" the sound signature of any headphone. the perceived changes are subtle rather than dramatic to my ears. that said, i've not tried chord gear. i don't recall the z1r sounding noticeably "flat" or "2 dimensional" when it was paired with the sony ta-zh1es or with the burson conductor v2+. nor was i struck by a fundamental change in the z1r's presentation with either unit, but maybe i'm just not attuned to it.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #4,145 of 9,746
Micro dynamic receiver MDR just learnt that from the video very interesting.

Help needed. I tried the mdr z1r at Harrods a few weeks back whilst in London. I was very impressed overall by the SQ (very smooth and crystalline clear) and comfort. However i use exclusively chord dacs/headamps and i auditioned the mdr z1r in London listening through the TOTL sony dap the NW-WM1Z.

Honestly the hi end £2K plus sony dap was a joke (a £300 chord mojo kills it) and i don't want to trigger a discussion here it's just my feeling on this. Now if the mdr z1r is tuned with sony electronics should i worry if i bought the mdr z1r to use with chord gear? (quite a few posters say it pairs very well with chord gear). Would that tuning i talk about (with the top sony dap) carry on through when using electronics by non sony manufacturers? The mdr z1r sounded very good even if i did not like the sony dap used with it so i can project that forwards to hopefully give a result where the sony mdr z1r would then sound stellar with my chord stack. What does everyone think? I'm juggling the z1r with the denon 9200. For the sony this is my sticking point as just described. I have no other chance to audition the sony again.

If anyone is wondering why i still haven't bought the sony and am still lingering around here it's because my last allocated 'audio budget' went on upgrading my hugo 2 to a hugo tt2 which i use with a chord mscaler, Oppo PM1 with a pure silver dream 2 headphone cable with increasingly compelling results. The chord stack on its own is £7500 or $10,000 dollars. It's hard for me to understand how a mdr z1r can achieve even a fraction of its full potential through tinkering about with low fi daps. It does need very high quality amplification but not loads of power to show what it can do. This is by no means meant to be critical of anyone's set up but again just my true feelings.

I am really enamoured by the mdr z1r (a compliment to everyone here) and if i could just iron out these last creases it might be my end game headphone as i'm looking into a chord dave upgrade for 2020. Till now the mdr z1r is one of the only hi end headphones which are a comfortable fit for me as for fit i'm overly sensitive. Happy new year to all. MK.
I just need a worthy companion for my Oppo PM1 a different flavour if you like but one which improves on all fronts.(apologies for the large font the screen editor went crazy for some strange reason).
Not at all. My Z1R sounds dynamic out of my Hugo 2. I expect it would sound even better out of the TT2. The slightly warm nature of the Z1R works well with Chord DACs

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #4,146 of 9,746
Screenshot_20200103-012617.png

The Z1R come up in Joshua Valour's video, it seems he like it enough to still have it around, cant help to notice that it seems to have a slight dent on the metal grill cover, tho maybe its just the angle and video quality (4K when i SC this, but yknow YT compression) make it seems so, until i see closer pic (which Josh may do as he seem wanting to do a video for a direct comparison between the Z1R and 820),
How does the grill on you guys' Z1Rs been holding up?

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #4,147 of 9,746

The Z1R come up in Joshua Valour's video, it seems he like it enough to still have it around, cant help to notice that it seems to have a slight dent on the metal grill cover, tho maybe its just the angle and video quality (4K when i SC this, but yknow YT compression) make it seems so, until i see closer pic (which Josh may do as he seem wanting to do a video for a direct comparison between the Z1R and 820),

Mine look virtually like new after 3 years use

Jan 2, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #4,148 of 9,746

I really like this pic. I have both of these headphones as well. My grills are holding up fine. I can't lie, that dent would bug me to no end.

Jan 3, 2020 at 4:03 AM Post #4,150 of 9,746

I got the cable with a used Amiron. It is the audiophile cable with OCC purchased as extra cable. Sold the Amiron and kept the cable.
A bit OT, but how does the Amiron Home compares to the Z7 btw? I've only managed to listen to the Amiron in auch brief moment i cant really remember much of it.
The most uncomfortable headphone i have tried after the heavy LCD3.
The hard part on the headband is included in all of Sony's headphone, seen them on many Audio Technicas too.

Prob not gonna be a problem unless for some people with broader skull

It would probably lessen if you just try to bent out the headband a bit. Dont worry too much its a pretty sturdy headband with memory titanium innard that conform to bend well.

Tho the Nuggets certainly is a more painless effort to try mitigate it

Jan 3, 2020 at 4:33 AM Post #4,151 of 9,746
A bit OT, but how does the Amiron Home compares to the Z7 btw? I've only managed to listen to the Amiron in auch brief moment i cant really remember much of it.

The hard part on the headband is included in all of Sony's headphone, seen them on many Audio Technicas too.

Prob not gonna be a problem unless for some people with broader skull

It would probably lessen if you just try to bent out the headband a bit. Dont worry too much its a pretty sturdy headband with memory titanium innard that conform to bend well.

Tho the Nuggets certainly is a more painless effort to try mitigate it
I have a solution, the nuggets.

i also have the Sony WH1000XM3 and have no hard points on the band. Very comfortable.

Jan 4, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #4,153 of 9,746
My Copper 4meter ATLAS cable just arrived. £405.
Here are photos.

Feels very premium. It clicks in nicely into the Z1R.
Impressions to follow.

Pretty!

Jan 4, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #4,154 of 9,746
Nice! Ive been using the black dragon copper. And it does make it darker and less sharp than Stock cable.

Do post impressons :)

Jan 4, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #4,155 of 9,746
Also i put a soft cloth around headband, until Dekoni nuggets arrive from USA.
Basically the headphones are very comfortable now, so might not even use the nuggets. Probably replace the yellow cloth with black for cosmetic appeal.

what is the burn in time for such a cable? Atlas mentioned 25hours, the dealer 100hours.

B456A551-38F5-4979-942E-82681C8758CA.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back