Just to clarify here;-

my Z1R from Amazon.co.uk
[headphones, in >
leather sony box/case, in >
black cloth, in >
sony white box, in >
thin cloudy white soft material which easily tears, in >
a standard Amazon brown box]

In this video the last outer box was a Sony branded brown box and taped shut - am i wrong?
[headphones, in >
leather sony box/case, in >
black cloth, in >
sony white box, in >
thin cloudy white soft material which easily tears, in >
Sony brown box and taped shut]

SO MAYBE IF IT DID NOT ARRIVE IN A SONY BROWN BOX IT IS COUNTERFEIT. I have a crazy imagination.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #4,127 of 9,634
I have bougt 2 times brand New. Both came in Black box like you described.

Jan 1, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #4,130 of 9,634
I am asking about the very outer box as per video. Was it all in a Sony Brown Cardboard Box as per video?
Maybe just return them bud. You poking for excuses to justify it, it's ok to not like them enough for the price. Go spend it on something else fun!

Jan 1, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #4,131 of 9,634
Awhile back we had another counterfeit conspiracy theorist. It was a funny diversion then, but we’re not talking about buying Louis Vuitton on the street in Brooklyn here.
Who could, or would counterfeit the Z1r? For a few thousand buyers. -not likely.
As you said,...imagination.
Not bashing you bro, but it’s more unlikely than running into a unicorn on you daily commute.
Relax, listen, and enjoy. You have a small treasure at your disposal.

Jan 1, 2020 at 8:45 PM Post #4,132 of 9,634
Maybe just return them bud. You poking for excuses to justify it, it's ok to not like them enough for the price. Go spend it on something else fun!
good advice. there's no need to suffer from buyer's remorse if you can return it.

Jan 1, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #4,133 of 9,634
good advice. there's no need to suffer from buyer's remorse if you can return it.
The Head Fi hype can skew ones decisions. Do all the reading of people's praises, but in the end, you like it or you dont, and at the price you paid, you see value in it or you don't.

Jan 2, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #4,134 of 9,634
I am asking about the very outer box as per video. Was it all in a Sony Brown Cardboard Box as per video?
Only White sony box

Jan 2, 2020 at 4:06 AM Post #4,136 of 9,634
Awhile back we had another counterfeit conspiracy theorist. It was a funny diversion then, but we’re not talking about buying Louis Vuitton on the street in Brooklyn here.
Who could, or would counterfeit the Z1r? For a few thousand buyers. -not likely.
As you said,...imagination.
Not bashing you bro, but it’s more unlikely than running into a unicorn on you daily commute.
Relax, listen, and enjoy. You have a small treasure at your disposal.
Ok. Good point. I am enjoying these headphones allot. Looking forward to the copper cable arriving next week.

Jan 2, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #4,137 of 9,634
Maybe get out if this thread and create one that only allows positive praise.
Settle down champ.

You spent a page going on about an outer outer box and the possibility it implied they were fake. Maybe re-assess the agro.

I liked them overall, but the peaks make a fair few tracks sound unnatural, and the oversized round cups start to hurt my jaw after a while. See, ain't all praise :wink:

Jan 2, 2020 at 5:21 AM Post #4,138 of 9,634
Settle down champ.

You spent a page going on about an outer outer box and the possibility it implied they were fake. Maybe re-assess the agro.

I liked them overall, but the peaks make a fair few tracks sound unnatural, and the oversized round cups start to hurt my jaw after a while. See, ain't all praise :wink:
Fair enough. Actually I love these headphones even more then my Focal Clear.
No worries.

‘apologies if was rude.

Jan 2, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #4,139 of 9,634
Micro dynamic receiver MDR just learnt that from the video very interesting.

Help needed. I tried the mdr z1r at Harrods a few weeks back whilst in London. I was very impressed overall by the SQ (very smooth and crystalline clear) and comfort. However i use exclusively chord dacs/headamps and i auditioned the mdr z1r in London listening through the TOTL sony dap the NW-WM1Z.

Honestly the hi end £2K plus sony dap was not to my taste (a £300 chord mojo is better for me) and i don't want to trigger a discussion here it's just my feeling on this. Now if the mdr z1r is tuned with sony electronics should i worry if i bought the mdr z1r to use with chord gear? (quite a few posters say it pairs very well with chord gear). Would that tuning i talk about (with the top sony dap) carry on through when using electronics by non sony manufacturers? The mdr z1r sounded very good even if i did not like the sony dap used with it so i can project that forwards to hopefully give a result where the sony mdr z1r would then sound stellar with my chord stack. What does everyone think? I'm juggling the z1r with the denon 9200. For the sony this is my sticking point as just described. I have no other chance to audition the sony again.

If anyone is wondering why i still haven't bought the sony and am still lingering around here it's because my last allocated 'audio budget' went on upgrading my hugo 2 to a hugo tt2 which i use with a chord mscaler, Oppo PM1 with a pure silver dream 2 headphone cable with increasingly compelling results. The chord stack on its own is £7500 or $10,000 dollars. It's hard for me to understand how a mdr z1r can achieve even a fraction of its full potential through tinkering about with low fi daps. It does need very high quality amplification but not loads of power to show what it can do. This is by no means meant to be critical of anyone's set up but again just my true feelings.

I am really enamoured by the mdr z1r (a compliment to everyone here) and if i could just iron out these last creases it might be my end game headphone as i'm looking into a chord dave upgrade for 2020. Till now the mdr z1r is one of the only hi end headphones which are a comfortable fit for me as for fit i'm overly sensitive. Happy new year to all. MK.
I just need a worthy companion for my Oppo PM1 a different flavour if you like but one which improves on all fronts.(apologies for the large font the screen editor went crazy for some strange reason).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back