Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Apr 29, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #2,926 of 9,638
Many thanks Jason.

Apr 30, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #2,927 of 9,638
Many thanks Jason.

I should have paid attention to where you are. You have a good local area for not bothering anyone. If you are listening loudly (upwards of 103 to 106 db) it’s likely a person within a meter of you could hear your leakage.

:beerchug:

Last edited:
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Apr 30, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #2,928 of 9,638
Apr 30, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #2,929 of 9,638
Considering a z1r purchase but need help here. using with hugo2/mscaler.

1) does the reported extra deep bass affect jazz and classical in a negative way. i listen to alot of jazz especially and i'm worried the extended bass might sound out of place.

2) does it leak much sound as a closed back. i need good sound containment inside the headphone for late night listening so as not to disturb people nearby.

3) are sony earpads easily obtainable as spares? i cannot find them for sale anywhere online.

many thanks to everyone here mk.

Z1R long time-owner here, some remarks in addition to TSAV Jason.
1. No problems at all with classic. The bass is just right for me, and in some cases I even add some minor sub bass via ifi's XBAss Pro function for concerts (but hey, that's just me)
2. I listen to it in bed. My partner complains about open back use but never does when I use the Z1R. So from my side - ok for late night listening :)
3. Do not know but so far there is no reason to replace the pads for me - look as new.

Apr 30, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #2,930 of 9,638
Apr 30, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #2,931 of 9,638
I agree with the other posters, the bass isn’t intrusive at all with jazz or classical.

As for leakage, they are about average for a closed back headphone. Perfectly fine in most circumstances to not disturb anyone. I use mine in an office with cubicles and no one can hear them.

And the pads on mine are holding up well after a couple of years. I wipe them off with a soft cloth after using them and they still look new. Though if you did need new ones there are people in Japan that can hook you up. Message one of the Japanese sellers on amazon if you need them.

Apr 30, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #2,932 of 9,638

1) does the reported extra deep bass affect jazz and classical in a negative way. i listen to alot of jazz especially and i'm worried the extended bass might sound out of place.

2) does it leak much sound as a closed back. i need good sound containment inside the headphone for late night listening so as not to disturb people nearby.

3) are sony earpads easily obtainable as spares? i cannot find them for sale anywhere online.

+1 to what everyone has said.
In fact I think the Z1R is great with jazz, even older recordings which are sometimes harsh or have strong L-R channel separation. Just make sure you’ve burned in the Z1R for a long time (~150 - 200 hours IMO) before you pass judgement.

Apr 30, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #2,933 of 9,638
I’m also in agreement with the Z1R’s being great with jazz and any other genre for that matter. They just have a great, musical tonality to them that lets you enjoy the music. The bass really adds body to jazz and classical music that I find very enjoyable.

May 1, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #2,935 of 9,638

Pads are just over 300 USD
https://encompass.com/item/11013837/Sony/A-2166-862-A/Ear_Pad_(L)_Assembly
https://encompass.com/item/11013838/Sony/A-2166-863-A/Ear_Pad_(R)_Assembly

May 1, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #2,936 of 9,638
I listen to alot of BeBop and I have never heard acoustic bass rendered this sweetly. Can't speak to the Classical side. "Containment" is good but alas not perfect. I wore them on the train a few weeks ago and did not receive any stares or complaints.

May 1, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #2,937 of 9,638
Thankyou to everyone here for the great feedback. mk

Given the high sensitivity of the sony how does it benefit from high quality amplification? For e.g. i know you can run it balanced so does the extra power work well here even though it is highly sensitive or is it more about quality of power? I know there are good reports with hugo2 and even dave users but not sure why considering in theory a phone could power it.

Last edited:
May 2, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #2,938 of 9,638
Josh did a review of these

I agree with most of his impressions.
Woops was late, I didn't read up last page to check before posting, now after catching up I see someone already posted it :D

Anyway, his video has. Alot of good beauty shots of the Z1R, nice watch :)

Last edited:
May 2, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #2,939 of 9,638
Thankyou to everyone here for the great feedback. mk

Given the high sensitivity of the sony how does it benefit from high quality amplification? For e.g. i know you can run it balanced so does the extra power work well here even though it is highly sensitive or is it more about quality of power? I know there are good reports with hugo2 and even dave users but not sure why considering in theory a phone could power it.

I know that many of you might disagree, but I feel very strongly about this (or better said I hear it very distinctively). The Sony Z1R CAN sound harsh, and I once triggered some discussion here, some agreed and some not. Anyway, when I use the Z1R with my Questyle QP2R, I do hear harsh treble, and some peaks are too high for me. However, when I connect my Z1R to my ifi iCan Pro and switch to its tube mode (still with the qp2r as source), the Z1R becomes so much smoother and “rounder”, it really transforms from an ok headphone to a TOTL headphone worth its procetag (our even more), So, from my side, a strong YES in terms of getting most out of your Z1R with a good amp.Hugo2 is nice as well, but the power of a tube amp is really where this all shines

Last edited:
May 2, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #2,940 of 9,638
I know that many of you might disagree, but I feel very strongly about this (or better said I hear it very distinctively). The Sony Z1R CAN sound harsh, and I once triggered some discussion here, some agreed and some not. Anyway, when I use the Z1R with my Questyle QP2R, I do hear harsh treble, and some peaks are too high for me. However, when I connect my Z1R to my ifi iCan Pro and switch to its tube mode (still with the qp2r as source), the Z1R becomes so much smoother and “rounder”, it really transforms from an ok headphone to a TOTL headphone worth its procetag (our even more), So, from my side, a strong YES in terms of getting most out of your Z1R with a good amp.Hugo2 is nice as well, but the power of a tube amp is really where this all shines
The Z1R can be harsh with the stock silver plated cable which is a shame.

If you go to an all copper, copper/silver or silver only cable the harshness is gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back