Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Dec 31, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #2,476 of 9,633
Well, that’s the thing, our past member who has since decided the Z1R headphone was not for him made posts which have progressed the pro-cable agenda.

But people should note that really a number of cables out there can fit the Z1R. All the cables that come with the Focal Clear fit, as far as I know. Also strangely you could simply plug in any 3.5mm plug into the headphones, and the other end if 3.5mm could be plugged into the TA amp to make one side channel.

With this simple adapter set you could hook up any MMCX cable in your collection to the Z1R.

https://www.amazon.com/OKCSC-Converter-connectors-conversion-connector/dp/B07CZC8DVD

I’ve not used the above methods but don’t see why it would not work? The Z1R plugs are regular 3.5mm stereo plugs on each side. This is maybe something I will try as I have a collection of MMCX cables and am looking to purchase more.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #2,477 of 9,633
Well, that’s the thing, our past member who has since decided the Z1R headphone was not for him made posts which have progressed the pro-cable agenda.

But people should note that really a number of cables out there can fit the Z1R. All the cables that come with the Focal Clear fit, as far as I know. Also strangely you could simply plug in any 3.5mm plug into the headphones, and the other end if 3.5mm could be plugged into the TA amp to make one side channel.

With this simple adapter set you could hook up any MMCX cable in your collection to the Z1R.

https://www.amazon.com/OKCSC-Converter-connectors-conversion-connector/dp/B07CZC8DVD

I’ve not used the above methods but don’t see why it would not work? The Z1R plugs are regular 3.5mm stereo plugs on each side. This is maybe something I will try as I have a collection of MMCX cables and am looking to purchase more.
On the Z7 you can use any cable which has 3.5 mm plugs to connect to the headphone which fit and hold secure in place. The Z1R is different. Without the securing nut, the standard 3.5 mm plugs tend to slip out easily, the Z1R's inlet sockets do not really grip the plugs.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #2,478 of 9,633

Let us know if you try them. I have some MMCX cables that are of different constructions that I would like to see how they change the sound of the Z1R.

Dec 31, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #2,479 of 9,633
Let us know if you try them. I have some MMCX cables that are of different constructions that I would like to see how they change the sound of the Z1R.

Yes, yes. I actually have some different MMCX cables on the horizon. So it’s curiosity, lol.

Good fun!

Dec 31, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #2,481 of 9,633
Yes, yes. I actually have some different MMCX cables on the horizon. So it’s curiosity, lol.

Good fun!
I ordered the converters and will post my impressions when they get hear in a couple of weeks.

Dec 31, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #2,483 of 9,633
Ordered mine from dealer and it took a week so if they were being discontinued, don’t know how they can still be supplied. Also Amazon went from next day delivery to 1-3 months and then during Xmas period they didn’t know when they could supply. Now it’s back to a 1-3 month wait.

Doesn’t make any difference in the end if you want to get them anyway. My worry was that I wanted to get them regardless but at the time had too many sets to justify another pair and hearing that they might be discontinued helped make the decision quicker

Dec 31, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #2,484 of 9,633
Does anyone bought these cans recently bother telling us the SN of your model? Sony only left a 4-digit space for the SNs and I'm curious if it will ever exceed 9999. I knew the numbers have already reached 4000+ about a year ago so this may really happen.

Jan 1, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #2,485 of 9,633
Does anyone bought these cans recently bother telling us the SN of your model? Sony only left a 4-digit space for the SNs and I'm curious if it will ever exceed 9999. I knew the numbers have already reached 4000+ about a year ago so this may really happen.
Mine's 561x purchased a year ago.

Jan 1, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #2,487 of 9,633

Mine are 8 months old.
Z1R #5680

Jan 1, 2019 at 5:34 AM Post #2,488 of 9,633

Just got mine and it’s nearly at 7000 but looking at the plate, there appears to be more room than only for 4 digits.

Already sounds better than when I first put them on so don’t worry about whether they’re being discontinued or not if you like them.

May I suggest that to keep things relatively on topic then don’t reply to posts that aren’t considered relevant or if the person insists on banging on about the same non relevant point.

Happy new year to all!

Jan 1, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #2,489 of 9,633
I think it is obvious that a thread such as this is meant for any and all listening impressions. For my part I loved the Z1R and that was stock, I can only imagine if I put a little time into some equalization that there was even more goodness to be had. The Z1R was an unapologetic musical signature that deliberately took a stance and presented a musical coloration. As far as I can tell it was never intended to be ruler neutral, or anywhere near it which for me is great as I do not tend to like really neutral signatures. I can appreciate what neutrality brings to the table, but I just don't find it engaging as I am happy to lose a little clarity in exchange for a little musical weight to the notes. That is perhaps one aspect of the Z1R that I most appreciated, notes had weight and substance to them. I am sure that this would come at the expense of some micro-detail, but if it did, for me there was not enough loss to counteract the pleasant tonality and engaging signature of the Z1R. I admit it, I like musical with a tilt toward warmth and anything that attempts to be neutral and starkly detail focused makes me want to cut myself.

For the record, I also very much enjoyed the HD800S while I owned it. I did add a little bass via equalization, but not much.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #2,490 of 9,633
Well, I've been away for a awhile, having taken the Summer off from listening to music and then returning to listening through loudspeakers. After putting the Z1Rs away for an extended period, I can say they are more musical as opposed to last word accurate. I think there is real merit to the design and overall voicing of them. More luxurious than detail? Does this even make any sense? I guess it comes down to what one likes in the end......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back