Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Dec 21, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #2,356 of 9,746
[QUOTE =“raybies,帖子:14666461,成员:464199”]这是有点昂贵的一面...没有试图贬值任何人的购买我目标是<1500美元目前。
我在澳大利亚支付了1150美元。
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sony-MDR-Z1R-Premium-Headphones/163270161060
需要花费一些精力,但是ebay经常享受9折优惠,并使用您购买的礼品卡支付10%折扣,售价为1280澳元(920美元)。
https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/426048 [/ QUOTE]
Can you buy one and ship it to me? I am in Uk and will pay the shipping fee
I could forward it to you, but you'll need to place a lot of trust in me.

Dec 22, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #2,357 of 9,746
Dec 23, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #2,358 of 9,746
I picked up the Z1R from my dealer for demo, and will be giving them a go this week. He told me that the Z1R has become hard to get, and that other customers are asking about them, so I suspect that the rumors of production ending are true.

Keeping in mind that I'm slightly congested today, my early subjective impression from listening to them so far today is that I don't love them in the sense that they're really bringing me something new, but I don't dislike them either:

- The bass is on the full side, and sometimes a bit boomy.

- The detail is quite good, though I notice a bit of raspiness at times.

- There's something about the tonality and/or distortion which seems to diminish the clarity. Can't quite put my finger on it yet.

- The imaging is pretty good, no complaints.

I'll be listening to them more by themselves in the coming days, then will start comparing them back to back with my other headphones.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #2,359 of 9,746
I picked up the Z1R from my dealer for demo, and will be giving them a go this week. He told me that the Z1R has become hard to get, and that other customers are asking about them, so I suspect that the rumors of production ending are true.

Keeping in mind that I'm slightly congested today, my early subjective impression from listening to them so far today is that I don't love them in the sense that they're really bringing me something new, but I don't dislike them either:

- There's something about the tonality and/or distortion which seems to diminish the clarity. Can't quite put my finger on it yet.

I'll be listening to them more by themselves in the coming days, then will start comparing them back to back with my other headphones.
I found a lot of what you're saying is true with the stock cable. Just by getting the Sony/Kimber Cable fixes what you found wrong in your initial findings. The bass tightens and becomes impactful, the raspiness you're hearing goes away and treble smoothies out. It took me awhile to get pass the sound of the stock cable. But once I heard the benefits of the all copper cable and the improvements I was hearing I would say it's a step up. The Kimber Axios is an even bigger improvement.

Dec 23, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #2,360 of 9,746
I found a lot of what you're saying is true with the stock cable. Just by getting the Sony/Kimber Cable fixes what you found wrong in your initial findings. The bass tightens and becomes impactful, the raspiness you're hearing goes away and treble smoothies out. It took me awhile to get pass the sound of the stock cable. But once I heard the benefits of the all copper cable and the improvements I was hearing I would say it's a step up. The Kimber Axios is an even bigger improvement.

I try to keep an open mind about this stuff, but am skeptical that cables make a significant difference, and it seems counterintuitive that Sony would use a stock cable which compromises the sound of its TOTL $2300 headphone.

Could it be that you got used to the sound of the Z1R over time, or that expectation of better sound with Kimber cable resulted in your perceiving better sound? It's kind of difficult to properly test this sort of thing, since it takes at least several seconds to switch cables, and I've found that to be plenty long enough to contribute to misperception of differences.

All of this said, the stock cable does seem kind of non-premium for a headphone in this price range.

Dec 23, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #2,361 of 9,746
Anyone compared the Z1R with the HD820?

Dec 23, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #2,362 of 9,746
Dec 23, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #2,363 of 9,746
I try to keep an open mind about this stuff, but am skeptical that cables make a significant difference, and it seems counterintuitive that Sony would use a stock cable which compromises the sound of its TOTL $2300 headphone.

Could it be that you got used to the sound of the Z1R over time, or that expectation of better sound with Kimber cable resulted in your perceiving better sound? It's kind of difficult to properly test this sort of thing, since it takes at least several seconds to switch cables, and I've found that to be plenty long enough to contribute to misperception of differences.

All of this said, the stock cable does seem kind of non-premium for a headphone in this price range.
I'm as big as skeptic about cables as you are but in this case I could hear the differences between the two. Honestly, I was perfectly fine with the stock cable. I listened to the Z1R's this way for months before deciding to try the Sony/Kimber cable. So I was pretty familiar with the Z1R's sound with the stock cable. I listened to the Sony/Kimber cable for a month before deciding that I liked the improvements. For my taste, I prefer the Sony/Kimber over the stock cable by a fairly good margin. It's not terribly expensive and you can find them 2nd hand on occasion. That's how I picked up mine and it's well worth IMO.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #2,364 of 9,746
I'm as big as skeptic about cables as you are but in this case I could hear the differences between the two. Honestly, I was perfectly fine with the stock cable. I listened to them that way for months before deciding to try the Sony/Kimber cable. So I was pretty familiar with the Z1R's sound with the stock cable. I listened to the Sony/Kimber cable for a month before deciding that I liked the improvements. For my taste, I prefer the Sony/Kimber over the stock cable by a fairly good margin. It's not terribly expensive and you can find them 2nd hand on occasion. That's how I picked up mine and it's well worth IMO.

I guess I'll first have to see if the Z1R grows on me before considering a different cable.

I broke my own rule and made quick comparisons of the Z1R with the Meze 99 Classics and the HD800S. The Z1R was better than the 99 Classics for a rock track I chose with a lot going on, but was quite inferior to the HD800S on several tracks.

For gear that I've tried which Tyll reviewed, my impressions aligned with Tyll, and I fear that it may be the same with the Z1R. So far, it seems like a decent but colored headphone, but not $2300 decent, and the coloration may not suit my preferences. HD820 could be a better fit, but seems like the reviews for that are somewhat mixed also. Maybe I can also try the Elegia.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #2,365 of 9,746
I guess I'll first have to see if the Z1R grows on me before considering a different cable.

I broke my own rule and made quick comparisons of the Z1R with the Meze 99 Classics and the HD800S. The Z1R was better than the 99 Classics for a rock track I chose with a lot going on, but was quite inferior to the HD800S on several tracks.

For gear that I've tried which Tyll reviewed, my impressions aligned with Tyll, and I fear that it may be the same with the Z1R. So far, it seems like a decent but colored headphone, but not $2300 decent, and the coloration may not suit my preferences. HD820 could be a better fit, but seems like the reviews for that are somewhat mixed also. Maybe I can also try the Elegia.

Elegia is a bit different. You can view my comparisons in the Elegia thread if you search on my username. I love both headphones though.

I greatly prefer the Elegia over the Z1R for rock and metal because of its tighter, quicker bass response and mid tuning that favors male vocals.

Dec 23, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #2,366 of 9,746

I've had the HD800S's and Z1R's at the same time. They are two different sounding headphones that can coexist in a collection. Naturally, the HD800S's are the more open, detailed headphone. But the Z1R's are a very good closed headphone. Not many closed headphones can sound as open as the Z1R's, which is why I still own them. Outside of the wide soundstage, the HD800S's can be bested by other open headphones. But at these prices it becomes a matter of sound preference.

Dec 23, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #2,367 of 9,746
I haven’t heard the hd820’s, but based on everything I’ve researched it’s basically right in the middle of hd800s and the zr1.

Dec 24, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #2,368 of 9,746

I will also have to suggest the cables from Kimber too. I felt exactly like you with my first impressions. Most all of us have. There will be some mental acclimating going on too; that will make the sound signature more enjoyable even if you don’t spring for the cable.

The idea of distortion is first noticeable and an over all idea of boomy signature. All of us have had this experience. It’s maybe due to them being different than anything. They still seem different to me now, but in an original and very good way.

Try them too with different amps as the amp can have an effect of getting the boomy tone to diminish slighly. For me the original thing they do is offer a special bass localization. The bass is kind of everywhere with all the detail still being offered.

Depending on your source and amplifier the Kimber can be the best $264 you ever spend. It takes and smooths out the treble as well as adds low end clarity.

Getting to know the Z1R is part of the fun.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MUC-B20SB1-SONY-Headphone-cable/dp/B01LRR04F0

Oh? And........again......welcome to Head-Fi “Sorry about your wallet.”

0AEC9BA1-842D-49B8-8E36-B6758F1B5866.gif

My wife has never fully recovered from Head-Fi.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #2,369 of 9,746
Sorry guys i know this has probably been brought up, but what are the differences between the US and international version. Why the price difference and how to ID?

Dec 24, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #2,370 of 9,746
I will also have to suggest the cables from Kimber too. I felt exactly like you with my first impressions. Most all of us have. There will be some mental acclimating going on too; that will make the sound signature more enjoyable even if you don’t spring for the cable.

The idea of distortion is first noticeable and an over all idea of boomy signature. All of us have had this experience. It’s maybe due to them being different than anything. They still seem different to me now, but in an original and very good way.

Try them too with different amps as the amp can have an effect of getting the boomy tone to diminish slighly. For me the original thing they do is offer a special bass localization. The bass is kind of everywhere with all the detail still being offered.

Depending on your source and amplifier the Kimber can be the best $264 you ever spend. It takes and smooths out the treble as well as adds low end clarity.

Getting to know the Z1R is part of the fun.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MUC-B20SB1-SONY-Headphone-cable/dp/B01LRR04F0

Oh? And........again......welcome to Head-Fi “Sorry about your wallet.”

My wife has never fully recovered from Head-Fi.
Debating on the 4.4 or 3.5, pros/cons? Should i get an adapter, does that even exist?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back