Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Dec 18, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #2,341 of 9,633
Without wanting to debate it, for balance, I'll just throw in my opinion that cables don't make any significant sound difference. But if we expect a particular cable to sound different, we may indeed perceive it to sound different.
Yeah cables to me are mainly for look and feel. Sound, other than going balanced you’re just in lala land lol.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #2,342 of 9,633
Without wanting to debate it, for balance, I'll just throw in my opinion that cables don't make any significant sound difference. But if we expect a particular cable to sound different, we may indeed perceive it to sound different.
Cables compared to other components in the chain, yes sure definitely not as significant.
But amongst cables, yes there can be a significant difference.

Dec 18, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #2,343 of 9,633

I wouldn’ have started down the path of cables if I didn’t actually hear a difference myself. It started with trying a set of Linux Superbax on my Noble K10’s and there was a definite difference at least from being more “open”. Bought some Toxic cables a couple of years after that as the Linums took forever and still weren’t available and even though i bought them blind, I was shocked by the extra emotion and space the Toxic cables provided over standard.

Having looked at the Kimber cables there’s an obvious ‘how much should i spend’ question but from the point of view of making a difference to sound signature there’s no doubt.

I assume the Sony version are copper too hence the warmer more bassy sound i heard two years ago. Anyway, its not the end of the world if I don’t get them so will see what the standard cables do first

Dec 18, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #2,344 of 9,633
I wouldn’ have started down the path of cables if I didn’t actually hear a difference myself. It started with trying a set of Linux Superbax on my Noble K10’s and there was a definite difference at least from being more “open”. Bought some Toxic cables a couple of years after that as the Linums took forever and still weren’t available and even though i bought them blind, I was shocked by the extra emotion and space the Toxic cables provided over standard.

Having looked at the Kimber cables there’s an obvious ‘how much should i spend’ question but from the point of view of making a difference to sound signature there’s no doubt.

I assume the Sony version are copper too hence the warmer more bassy sound i heard two years ago. Anyway, its not the end of the world if I don’t get them so will see what the standard cables do first

This is a difference. It is just that everyone's benchmark of significance is different.

I do hear improvements with better cables, when I do a very quick AB. But just listening to a new cable without comparison, makes it really difficult to discern what the improvements/differences are. We kinda have goldfish memories...
The best way to go about with cables IMO is to audition them in one session, picking the one you like best and knowing they will give you the best sound going forward.

Yes, the Sony Kimber ones are Copper. The stock ones are Copper with Silver coating.
The Sony Kimber does tame the higher frequencies, but obviously not to the extend of changing the sound signature. It is just minute improvements.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #2,345 of 9,633
This is a difference. It is just that everyone's benchmark of significance is different.

I do hear improvements with better cables, when I do a very quick AB. But just listening to a new cable without comparison, makes it really difficult to discern what the improvements/differences are. We kinda have goldfish memories...
The best way to go about with cables IMO is to audition them in one session, picking the one you like best and knowing they will give you the best sound going forward.

I can perceive differences when I do quick sighted A/B of gear also, but when I do it unsighted the differences go away. The effect of expectation is quite powerful. Again, we're not really even allowed to debate this stuff, and I'm just expressing an opinion so that readers of the thread don't get the mistaken impression that everyone agrees that cables matter.

Dec 18, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #2,346 of 9,633
I can perceive differences when I do quick sighted A/B of gear also, but when I do it unsighted the differences go away. The effect of expectation is quite powerful. Again, we're not really even allowed to debate this stuff, and I'm just expressing an opinion so that readers of the thread don't get the mistaken impression that everyone agrees that cables matter.

Yes I do agree with you. Unless you are listening really carefully and have totally immersed yourself into the music, the odds of picking up the differences are rather small. If my mind is somewhere else, I will be hard pressed to spot the difference.
Like I have said, if you are willing to splurge, audition a variety of cables. Find the one you are most happy with, satisfy your curiousness, knowing that you have gotten the best combination. But just bear in mind, a cable upgrade is not going to bring more change to the sound signature than changing the headphones or the source.

Dec 18, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #2,347 of 9,633
Is 15% off retail a good price for the Z1R? That's what my dealer is offering me.

Dec 18, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #2,349 of 9,633
Dec 19, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #2,350 of 9,633
Last edited:
Dec 19, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #2,351 of 9,633
It's a bit on the pricey side... without trying to devalue anybody's purchase I would aim for <US$1500 at present.
I paid ~US$1150 in Australia.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sony-MDR-Z1R-Premium-Headphones/163270161060
It takes a bit of effort but w/ ebay's frequent 10% off deals and paying with gift cards you purchased for 10% off, it is available for A$1280 (US$920).
https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/426048

Does anyone know an authorized dealer in the US who will sell for that kind of price?

Dec 19, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #2,352 of 9,633
They are all different cables, all four of them.

I would suggest a pure cooper cable. Anything silver would probably accentuate the 10k peak even more.

My problem with Sony Kimber is they are too darn stiff.

Sony MUC-B20SB1 Headphone Cable 4.4mm Pentaconn 3.5mm was a free gift with my Z1R. I probably would never have thought about buying it. But I have to say it’s a game changer.

I’m using the TA amp, Sony DAPs with the cradle and AudioQuest Carbon USB. Right from the start I noticed how it smoothed out the top adding a slighly more detailed and spread out soundstage. It gets better detail in the midrange and cleans up bass definition in the lows. It’s all the improvement you would want from a cable. I don’t find it stiff at all?

Amazingly the Kimber also remedies the off aspects of the original Z7 to a point. I would never have purchased the cable, but now feel lucky to be shown how much change is possible. I would never get the Axios as it’s not what I’m into spending but for the changes and cost of the B20SB1.......I would say it’s mandatory for Z1R owners to at least try!

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #2,353 of 9,633
I own them. The Axios silver cable makes them into different headphones imo. Of course have a good amp and dac. You do not buy 6 grand of headphone and cable with $1k electronics imo. They are my favorite headphone and people can check out what else I own including HE1. They just ooze liquid and the prat is unheard of imo.

Dec 20, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #2,354 of 9,633
I own them. The Axios silver cable makes them into different headphones imo. Of course have a good amp and dac. You do not buy 6 grand of headphone and cable with $1k electronics imo. They are my favorite headphone and people can check out what else I own including HE1. They just ooze liquid and the prat is unheard of imo.

Gosh, I wonder now........what if?

Dec 21, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #2,355 of 9,633
[QUOTE =“raybies,帖子:14666461,成员:464199”]这是有点昂贵的一面...没有试图贬值任何人的购买我目标是<1500美元目前。
我在澳大利亚支付了1150美元。
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sony-MDR-Z1R-Premium-Headphones/163270161060
需要花费一些精力,但是ebay经常享受9折优惠,并使用您购买的礼品卡支付10%折扣,售价为1280澳元(920美元)。
https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/426048 [/ QUOTE]
Can you buy one and ship it to me? I am in Uk and will pay the shipping fee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back