Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Dec 12, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #2,311 of 9,638
I did get to try the Stock cable with balanced. And it sounds better with balanced. Used an adapter 4,4mm to 4pin xlr. Sounds bigger in sound, in lack for a better Word :) now i just have to find out if i should get the Sony kimber 4,4 balanced and use adapter for 4pin xlr or just go with the axios with 4pin xlr... Hmmm.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #2,312 of 9,638
Edit

Dec 12, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #2,313 of 9,638
Do sony sell spare pads as i can't find them anywhere in the uk just cheap imitation ones. i recently auditioned the z1r beautiful soundstage and incredibly comfortable. if i go for them i have to save hard the next few weeks. i am however disappointed at sony's decision so does anyone envisage an mdr z2r or is the z7m2 it as they said.
you contacted sony uk and they answered your questions. we can only speculate here as to what sony may do next.

Dec 13, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #2,314 of 9,638
I've been looking for a high-end closed back, and I keep coming back to the Z1R as an option that may suit me. I know the signature isn't for everybody, but I like the description of it being musical, solid bass, smooth highs, etc. A few questions:

- Are you all satisfied with the amount of isolation?

- What's a good price new in the US? I read that people often get a good discount below retail, and I'm not sure how the Z1R being discontinued plays into that.

- What's the average opinion regarding how the sound of the Z1R compares with the Z7 m2? I'm willing to pay more for better sound, but at 2-3x the price, the Z1R needs to be significantly better, not just a smidge better.

Thanks in advance for any help with these questions.

Dec 13, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #2,315 of 9,638
Gradually being withdrawn. In most countries it's still showing on sony's websites AFAIK. For some reason on sony.uk it isn't so it seems the UK is the first place where it is being withdrawn.

Dec 13, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #2,316 of 9,638

- What's the average opinion regarding how the sound of the Z1R compares with the Z7 m2? I'm willing to pay more for better sound, but at 2-3x the price, the Z1R needs to be significantly better, not just a smidge better.

I am satisfied with the isolation, it is pretty average for a closed-back headphone compared to other closed-backs I've owned. I mean I don't think it would be great on a flight but for office use it's pretty good.

Look at post 2295 in this thread for a comparison with the Z7M2. And you'll find a few more in the Z7M2 thread.

Dec 14, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #2,317 of 9,638
I am satisfied with the isolation, it is pretty average for a closed-back headphone compared to other closed-backs I've owned. I mean I don't think it would be great on a flight but for office use it's pretty good.

Look at post 2295 in this thread for a comparison with the Z7M2. And you'll find a few more in the Z7M2 thread.

Thanks, I'll do some reading. Hopefully, I'll have a chance to demo the Z1R soon. I'd be confident that I'll like it, except that Tyll Hertsens had a rather negative opinion of it, yet his opinion of several other headphones (99 Classics, LCD-3, HD800S, Utopia, and Clear) is quite similar to mine, so he's kind of a proxy for me, at least so far.

Dec 14, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #2,318 of 9,638
I'd be confident that I'll like it, except that Tyll Hertsens had a rather negative opinion of it, yet his opinion of several other headphones (99 Classics, LCD-3, HD800S, Utopia, and Clear) is quite similar to mine, so he's kind of a proxy for me, at least so far.

He prefers open-backed, bright headphones and these are not that. And he reviewed with the Moon Audio 430HA which is a bit dark and not that great, the Z1Rs simply showcased what he fed it. You have the Hugo 2 though so will be fine, it's a great pairing with the Z1R.

Dec 14, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #2,319 of 9,638
He prefers open-backed, bright headphones and these are not that. And he reviewed with the Moon Audio 430HA which is a bit dark and not that great, the Z1Rs simply showcased what he fed it. You have the Hugo 2 though so will be fine, it's a great pairing with the Z1R.

I love this combination! With the DAVE, the Z1Rs kick it up a notch as well.

Dec 14, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #2,320 of 9,638
on the contrary, tyll was always sensitive to treble peaks and headphones with bright presentations, with the exception of the hd800, which he applied eq to anyway

Dec 14, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #2,321 of 9,638
The Z1R's are excellent out of the Gilmore Lite Mk2 with the Hugo 2 as the DAC. I also have the Schiit Loki in the mix and with a little EQing the Z1R's are now perfectly balanced. I love this combo. I like this setup more than just using the Hugo 2 alone.

Dec 15, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #2,322 of 9,638
I've been looking for a high-end closed back, and I keep coming back to the Z1R as an option that may suit me. I know the signature isn't for everybody, but I like the description of it being musical, solid bass, smooth highs, etc. A few questions:

- What's a good price new in the US? I read that people often get a good discount below retail, and I'm not sure how the Z1R being discontinued plays into that.

Thanks in advance for any help with these questions.

They can be pretty good but I would absolutely advise a demo session. The Z1R is pretty much a love-hate relationship. I like it on the TA-ZH1ES and somehow it's the only amp that I like the Z1R's on. The bass ends up being bloated on many stronger solid states and with all but a few very good tube amps, the mid range was just too flavored for my liking. On the ZH1ES they are pretty good though, certainly a top contender as far as closed backs go.

Re: the Z7mk2, TBH I think that they are more versatile headphones than the Z1R and respond to different amps better. Driving them off the ZH1ES and they aren't quite as good as the Z1R, but with the other sources I a/b'd them with (Mass Kobo 404, HDVD800, etc.) I actually preferred the signature of the Z7mk2. Just a bit more neutral and somewhat better regulated in the bass department.

The bottom line is that you're getting a very pronounced bass signature not unlike the 1266 phi's and a very distinctly colored midrange. As a point of contrast the Ether C Flow is not as resolving but very linear for a closed-back, and while people might not consider it exciting, it's also not going to be a bad match for many sources.

Dec 15, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #2,323 of 9,638
They can be pretty good but I would absolutely advise a demo session. The Z1R is pretty much a love-hate relationship. I like it on the TA-ZH1ES and somehow it's the only amp that I like the Z1R's on. The bass ends up being bloated on many stronger solid states and with all but a few very good tube amps, the mid range was just too flavored for my liking. On the ZH1ES they are pretty good though, certainly a top contender as far as closed backs go.

Re: the Z7mk2, TBH I think that they are more versatile headphones than the Z1R and respond to different amps better. Driving them off the ZH1ES and they aren't quite as good as the Z1R, but with the other sources I a/b'd them with (Mass Kobo 404, HDVD800, etc.) I actually preferred the signature of the Z7mk2. Just a bit more neutral and somewhat better regulated in the bass department.

The bottom line is that you're getting a very pronounced bass signature not unlike the 1266 phi's and a very distinctly colored midrange. As a point of contrast the Ether C Flow is not as resolving but very linear for a closed-back, and while people might not consider it exciting, it's also not going to be a bad match for many sources.

I actually find the TA-ZH1ES bloated and not very clear/ transparent. I suggest you try them on a Hugo2 (or especially DAVE)...simply amazing IMO. I found the Z7mk2 only an incremental improvement over the originals at best.

Dec 15, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #2,324 of 9,638
I enjoyd the z1r with hugo very much as well
I want to try them from the exasound 22 Jack That IS more open and detailed - less musical--than the hugo i have the feeling could work very well with the warm z1r
I would Like to use My burmester 051 Jack as well with a lot of expectation
So you suggest to forget the z7 and just focus to the z1?

Dec 15, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #2,325 of 9,638
I enjoyd the z1r with hugo very much as well
I want to try them from the exasound 22 Jack That IS more open and detailed - less musical--than the hugo i have the feeling could work very well with the warm z1r
I would Like to use My burmester 051 Jack as well with a lot of expectation
So you suggest to forget the z7 and just focus to the z1?

I would...the Z7 Mk2 is a small improvement over the Mk1, but the Z1R is quite a bit ahead of both. The sound staging is quite profoundly better right from the get go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back