Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Dec 12, 2018 at 6:40 AM Post #2,298 of 9,652
I have a pair of z1r’s incoming tomorrow, NIB for 1400usd. I’ve had my eyes on these cans since they were released. Can’t wait!

That’s a crazy good deal! Enjoy!

Dec 12, 2018 at 6:45 AM Post #2,300 of 9,652
So what's the deal if i buy them now as sony is taking them off uk sales for good? does it make sense for eg what if i needed spare pads etc in the future.

Dec 12, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #2,302 of 9,652
Thanks. Bought them off a gentleman who picked em up here in Norway in the Black Friday sales. He opened the box and decided they were not for him.

I also got mine from Black Friday here in Norway. Equal to 1160 $

Recieved the Sony kimber cable yesterday. It rounds of the top end and makes the sound little less "sharp" Not a gigantic difference but def noticable and it makes them even more enjoyable imo.

Edit: i wonder how it would be with balanced 4pin xlr instead of 6,3mm would have to go with the kimber axios then.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #2,303 of 9,652
why 3 years?

Dec 12, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #2,304 of 9,652
why 3 years?

Because it was introduced mid 2016, and I am giving it an additional 6 more months should it declared finito from now till May 2019.
Point is not the 3 years. But everything will have an expiry date. If you like it, get it. If you are concerned, grab an extra pair of spare pads at the same time.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #2,305 of 9,652
Do sony sell spare pads as i can't find them anywhere in the uk just cheap imitation ones. i recently auditioned the z1r beautiful soundstage and incredibly comfortable. if i go for them i have to save hard the next few weeks. i am however disappointed at sony's decision so does anyone envisage an mdr z2r or is the z7m2 it as they said.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #2,307 of 9,652
many thanks syke.

Dec 12, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #2,309 of 9,652
I also got mine from Black Friday here in Norway. Equal to 1160 $

Recieved the Sony kimber cable yesterday. It rounds of the top end and makes the sound little less "sharp" Not a gigantic difference but def noticable and it makes them even more enjoyable imo.

Edit: i wonder how it would be with balanced 4pin xlr instead of 6,3mm would have to go with the kimber axios then.

Yeah, the seller also got em for that price, so he bags a little profit. I was working all day on Black Friday, so I didn’t notice the offer at the time. Oh well, still cheap, and with full warranty as well.

Dec 12, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #2,310 of 9,652
Yikes, my Utopias are nothing like you describe. Flawless construction and finish. Burrs? not on mine. Not trying to call you out, but did you buy a pair with these issues or is this something you saw in a store?? Just curious where these impressions come from as i have had a couple of pairs with no issues.

Please don't be alarmed. The crappy thing is, I work in this field, and that makes me really sensitive to imperfections. If you are happy with what you got, it's all cool. Like the saying goes, what you can't see, can't hurt you.
The ones I saw were demos which I have later clarified.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back