Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
May 1, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #1,591 of 9,633
Typing outside on phone in Starbucks.

One of the main reasons I'm considering the z1r apart from comfort is the wide soundstage for mainly jazz plus some classical. Apart from a good soundstage which i like for this type of music i also prefer a less pronounced lower end bass. Would the z1r's famous strong bass presentation have a negative effect on jazz and classical for the above reasons? There is no way for me to try before i buy here. Thanks mk. Help putting this into perspective would be great.

Last edited:
May 1, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #1,592 of 9,633
Typing outside on phone in Starbucks.

One of the main reasons I'm considering the z1r apart from comfort is the wide soundstage for mainly jazz plus some classical. Apart from a good soundstage which i like for this type of music i also prefer a less pronounced lower end bass. Would the z1r's famous strong bass presentation have a negative effect on jazz and classical for the above reasons? There is no way for me to try before i buy here. Thanks mk. Help putting this into perspective would be great.

In my humble opinion it does Classical well, though I mainly listen to soundtracks, as Classical in genre. Don’t listen to Jazz. But it kind of dissects the bass, meaning yes it’s there but the Z1R kind of spreads it apart, becomes more of a lower midrange sounding presentation and rarely do you get any thumping bass distracting or bass distortions removing the feeling of detail. It’s like a microscope into the low-end. Images are almost clear showing other images inside and more lower bass detail inside that. Really hard to describe, maybe translucent bass character? Still in the end, it’s hard not to call it a bass heavy headphone.

It’s bass heavy in comparison to the standard Head-Fi ideas of flat......Sony MDR R10 or HD800.

You really need to hear it first.

Last edited:
May 2, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #1,593 of 9,633
Has no one made Zelkova cups for these yet? or the z7 :p

I keep checking the Headphile www. for it, but nope, not yet

I cannot wait for the brave soul who somehow can get a 3d scan of r10 cups, and get someone to CNC some woodies.

is it so farfetced an idea. There have been crazier mods i'm sure.

If not the Z1r, then the Z7 :D

giphy.gif

May 2, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #1,594 of 9,633
Has no one made Zelkova cups for these yet? or the z7 :p

I keep checking the Headphile www. for it, but nope, not yet

I cannot wait for the brave soul who somehow can get a 3d scan of r10 cups, and get someone to CNC some woodies.

is it so farfetced an idea. There have been crazier mods i'm sure.

If not the Z1r, then the Z7 :D

Most owners like the sound signature of the Z1R, so I doubt there would be much demand for mods... they're not like a pair a Sennheisers where it's almost obligatory to mod them in order to get anything resembling a pleasant sound signature.
I do like Zelkova cups though, and wood cups in general make me think mo'premium.

May 5, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #1,596 of 9,633
May 5, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #1,597 of 9,633
Just stumbled onto your post. Will the Z1R/HD800 fit without having to disconnect the cable? (not a deal breaker, but just wanted to know.

Thx,
Bern
Both fit with cables attached. I have a same sized case in plain black and use it everyday on my bicycle ride to work in my backpack.

May 6, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #1,599 of 9,633
FWIW: Sold HD800 + Abyss + R10(bass-light) + Oppo PM1; Keeping Z1R (currently with Forza balanced hybrid cable, with honorable mention to SE Sony/Kimber cable for the first year of ownership).
(And I would need to buy a 2nd Z1R for backup if I ever heard they they were being discontinued...)

I can't say the Z1R is "best", but it's certainly a unique sound that is in a class by itself. Someone personally tuned this headphone to their personal world-view of what a headphone should sound like, and you either love it or don't, but you owe it to yourself to hear it.

If you like the way it is tuned, you will be very happy. But really, don't listen to other's opinions, just give it a try by ordering it from somewhere with return privileges.

Last edited:
May 6, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #1,600 of 9,633
FWIW: Sold HD800 + Abyss + R10(bass-light) + Oppo PM1; Keeping Z1R (currently with Forza balanced hybrid cable, with honorable mention to SE Sony/Kimber cable for the first year of ownership).
(And I would need to buy a 2nd Z1R for backup if I ever heard they they were being discontinued...)

I can't say the Z1R is "best", but it's certainly a unique sound that is in a class by itself. Someone personally tuned this headphone to their personal world-view of what a headphone should sound like, and you either love it or don't, but you owe it to yourself to hear it.

If you like the way it is tuned, you will be very happy. But really, don't listen to other's opinions, just give it a try by ordering it from somewhere with return privileges.
I may end up keeping the Z1R forever and the HD650, HD660S and HD800SD too.

May 7, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #1,601 of 9,633

:O

May 8, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #1,602 of 9,633
May 11, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #1,603 of 9,633

Yea I've sold a tonne of my gear now too. Still kept my Z1R's though :)

May 11, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #1,604 of 9,633
Anyone using Norne Silver Draug with these - pure silver?
I have Kimber Axios copper however I am curious about pure silver cables.
I heard the Axios copper/silver hyprid (1/2 the cables copper and the other 1/2 of the cables silver) however I preferred the all copper.
I won't try the all silver Axios - I think the price is insane - more than the headphones.

I felt the copper/silver "emasculated" them a bit - turned them into something they were not meant to be in that they lost some of the visceral bass they were designed to have

May 12, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #1,605 of 9,633
Personally don't think the z1r fits the silver sound. It needs the punchy energy given by the copper; a little silver plating making the treble airy is okay, but more sliver leads to a too mellow sound. Pure silver - that becomes something like a slime:triportsad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back