Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jul 4, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #9,091 of 9,746

Am I the only DMP- Z1 owner, that hates the pairing with the Z1R’s ??

My Sony 1AM2’s costing me around £150, absolutely shine, with the DMP-Z1.

Without checking, i think I purchased them in 2018 & if I’m honest, I tried to convince myself that they were great, given the price, but I find them to be so overrated. With the DMP, i can’t continue to listen, yet I listen with my 1AM2’s for hours on end, day after day. ( I have a custom cable, for the Z1R’s, which has become faulty over time. )

My DMP-Z1 was finally fixed after 9 months. I’ve had two same faults, with two players, so I’m glad to have back, a week ago, tomorrow & I have already clocked up 65 hours of listening with 1AM2’s, just SO addictive ! I tried out my Z1R’s again, last evening & I unplugged them after 3 songs, they just sound awful.

Attachments

• IMG_1442.jpeg
    IMG_1442.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1443.jpeg
    IMG_1443.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Jul 4, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #9,092 of 9,746
Am I the only DMP- Z1 owner, that hates the pairing with the Z1R’s ??

My Sony 1AM2’s costing me around £150, absolutely shine, with the DMP-Z1.

Without checking, i think I purchased them in 2018 & if I’m honest, I tried to convince myself that they were great, given the price, but I find them to be so overrated. With the DMP, i can’t continue to listen, yet I listen with my 1AM2’s for hours on end, day after day. ( I have a custom cable, for the Z1R’s, which has become faulty over time. )

My DMP-Z1 was finally fixed after 9 months. I’ve had two same faults, with two players, so I’m glad to have back, a week ago, tomorrow & I have already clocked up 65 hours of listening with 1AM2’s, just SO addictive ! I tried out my Z1R’s again, last evening & I unplugged them after 3 songs, they just sound awful.
Are you using the stock cable? If so, that is the issue.

Switch to an OCC Copper or OCC Silver cable. I have the DHC Complement C (copper) and Prion4 (silver). The copper enhances the bass while the silver increases the details and soundstage without sacrificing the low end.

Jul 4, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #9,093 of 9,746
Are you using the stock cable? If so, that is the issue.

Switch to an OCC Copper or OCC Silver cable. I have the DHC Complement C (copper) and Prion4 (silver). The copper enhances the bass while the silver increases the details and soundstage without sacrificing the low end.
Presently, yes. My custom made cable frayed at the connection, so if I recall correctly, there was no sound coming from one of the cups. I will just try it again later, just to check again. I bought it sometime ago & can’t exactly recall, but I know it’s not OCC silver, so it must be copper. Off the top of my head, even then i wasn’t blown away.

I find it an headphone that seems like there’s distortion, congested sound, in the treble range & overall disappointing across the sound spectrum. It does sound crazy that my 1AM2’s ( With custom cable. ) totally out perform the Z1R’s.

Edit :

Just trying my custom cable again & it’s working…..will give it a period of listening……

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #9,094 of 9,746
Presently, yes. My custom made cable frayed at the connection, so if I recall correctly, there was no sound coming from one of the cups. I will just try it again later, just to check again. I bought it sometime ago & can’t exactly recall, but I know it’s not OCC silver, so it must be copper. Off the top of my head, even then i wasn’t blown away.

I find it an headphone that seems like there’s distortion, congested sound, in the treble range & overall disappointing across the sound spectrum. It does sound crazy that my 1AM2’s ( With custom cable. ) totally out perform the Z1R’s.

Edit :

Just trying my custom cable again & it’s working…..will give it a period of listening……
Honestly I felt the same as what you have describe for some time, then I give the cable connectors a good cleaning with Deoxit. There is a noticeable difference in sound for me after cleaning and everything seems to brighten up.

Jul 5, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #9,096 of 9,746
Last edited:
Jul 5, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #9,097 of 9,746
O, i bought the small tube from this seller. I got the red one for intense cleaning and the gold one after for improving conductivity.

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/accessories/av-care/contact-cleaner

For those who are fine with their MDR, better don't try it. It will change the sound signature, it's like my Sony Kimber warmth sound lessen and making it sound like a hybrid cable.

Thanks. I’d seen it as a spray can, on Amazon. £25, i don’t mind that, providing it improves things ?

Jul 5, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #9,098 of 9,746
Thanks. I’d seen it as a spray can, on Amazon. £25, i don’t mind that, providing it improves things ?
O, yeah, for your case, very similar to what i hear too. But is it to your liking is another story, hehe. :D

Just apply a very thin layer to avoid the mess. I apply it on a cotton pad first and transfer it over rather than direct over the connectors.

Btw, is your MDR brand new? burn-in the cable will help improve the sound too.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #9,099 of 9,746
O, yeah, for your case, very similar to what i hear too. But is it to your liking is another story, hehe. :D

Just apply a very thin layer to avoid the mess. I apply it on a cotton pad first and transfer it over rather than direct over the connectors.

Thanks again. It does beg the question, why don’t I need to clean the connector’s on my other headphones ? ( Or perhaps I should ! ) ? :relaxed:

Jul 5, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #9,100 of 9,746
Thanks again. It does beg the question, why don’t I need to clean the connector’s on my other headphones ? ( Or perhaps I should ! ) ? :relaxed:
Uh, all metal oxidizes more or less, no exceptions. It's just whether or not it affects the sound noticeably.

Jul 5, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #9,101 of 9,746
Uh, all metal oxidizes more or less, no exceptions. It's just whether or not it affects the sound noticeably.
I’ve been using this for probably at least 10 years on all sorts of electrical connections. I bought one each of the small glass bottles like nail varnish with a brush in the lid and those 2 small bottles have lasted me all that time and they are not even half empty yet

Jul 5, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #9,103 of 9,746
Snake oil talk 😂
Let’s nip this in the bud here please, there’s other threads to argue this in. The original MDR-Z1R thread got super toxic, I and everyone else do not want this to get locked like that one did.

Jul 5, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #9,104 of 9,746
Let’s nip this in the bud here please, there’s other threads to argue this in. The original MDR-Z1R thread got super toxic, I and everyone else do not want this to get locked like that one did.
Rgat deoxit cleans and removes fatty oils residues and therefore the consuctiob is restored that's fact. Butthetalk aboutsound changing becausedeoxit.. heah pigs can fly...

Jul 5, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #9,105 of 9,746
Rgat deoxit cleans and removes fatty oils residues and therefore the consuctiob is restored that's fact. Butthetalk aboutsound changing becausedeoxit.. heah pigs can fly...

Im a fellow skeptic as well but let us be polite!

More likely its cognitive bias and expectations. But hey! If you enjoy it more and its cheap, why not! I'll triple check the door sometimes to make sure its locked even though I know its been locked. Its not anymore locked, but I can enjoy that its locked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back