Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Mar 26, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #8,206 of 9,646
I would certainly say that the Lavri Grand increases clarity and transient speed and tightness over the Axios CU without any harshness but then you loose a little warmth and lushness
Tou dis not reply my question. If a lavri grand silver increases clarity in mids and high of the MDR-Z1R

Mar 26, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #8,207 of 9,646
Tou dis not reply my question. If a lavri grand silver increases clarity in mids and high of the MDR-Z1R
Yes I said the Lavri increases clarity

Mar 26, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #8,208 of 9,646
I would certainly say that the Lavri Grand increases clarity and transient speed and tightness over the Axios CU without any harshness but then you loose a little warmth and lushness
Thank you very much, I briefly throw the stock cable certainly added a little bit of clarity than the axios cu

Mar 27, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #8,210 of 9,646
Quick question for those of you who listen to the Z1R with a WM1Z (balanced): what volume do you set for moderate/above moderate volume?
I have the WM1A. I connect balanced with hi gain. Generally speaking Rock and Pop music is around 40, classical and jazz around 50. I listen at what I consider a moderate volume (roughly 60-70dB). Occasionally I bump it to 55 or so for passages that really need it.

Mar 30, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #8,212 of 9,646
Hey all, random question but the answers may or may not pull the trigger.

Should I pull the trigger on this cans? Or wait out for the next flagship? This will be my first cans and want to sit it alongside the IER-Z1R on my desk (Family? lol)

Mar 30, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #8,213 of 9,646

Should I pull the trigger on this cans? Or wait out for the next flagship? This will be my first cans and want to sit it alongside the IER-Z1R on my desk (Family? lol)
They are great if you like their sound sig which is very similar but not identical to the MDR. Nobody knows if or when a new flagship comes out

Mar 31, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #8,214 of 9,646

Theyre great cana

Mar 31, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #8,215 of 9,646
After looking around for a complimentary pair to my HD800S that might also be an upgrade from the HD650, these have caught my attention. I can listen to the 800S all day long on my setup, and I don't want to replace it, but sometimes I want a bit more quantity in the lower-end without losing too much resolution like I do on the 650. I'm torn between this and the LCD-3, but also looking at LCD-4, and considering the stratosphere with the 1266 Phi TC (which would very likely require a new amp, and total cost would be multiple times the Z1R). The Z1Rs definitely look to be the most comfortable out of the lot which is a big plus. The 800S and Z1R seem like a good duo to have on the desk to switch back and forth with for differing traits. Is the Z1R what I'm looking for? Chain is fairly warm and smooth, Directstream Jr. dac (Qobuz or CDs) > HDV 820 amp.

Mar 31, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #8,216 of 9,646
After looking around for a complimentary pair to my HD800S that might also be an upgrade from the HD650, these have caught my attention. I can listen to the 800S all day long on my setup, and I don't want to replace it, but sometimes I want a bit more quantity in the lower-end without losing too much resolution like I do on the 650. I'm torn between this and the LCD-3, but also looking at LCD-4, and considering the stratosphere with the 1266 Phi TC (which would very likely require a new amp, and total cost would be multiple times the Z1R). The Z1Rs definitely look to be the most comfortable out of the lot which is a big plus. The 800S and Z1R seem like a good duo to have on the desk to switch back and forth with for differing traits. Is the Z1R what I'm looking for? Chain is fairly warm and smooth, Directstream Jr. dac (Qobuz or CDs) > HDV 820 amp.
Z1R will work great with smooth chain. ZMF VC and new Atrium also has great lower end as well if you like dynamic drivers.

Apr 1, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #8,217 of 9,646
Thanks to @nc8000 i am tewting silver cables.

Seems to make the Z1R kore correct than fopper by shelving off some bass bloat, still not same detail retrieval of the Lieic but what an improvement

Apr 1, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #8,218 of 9,646
image.jpg

Apr 1, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #8,219 of 9,646
No lube! :)

Love the Bach. I'm listening to Bruckner symphonies presently after attending a concert last night (for the first time in ages).

20220331_190942.jpg

These were my seats, in the first row of the lower balcony. It was quite splendid and I thought that it was more detailed than the experience over headphones:
20220401_141407.JPG

But after comparing them I've got the say the experience with this recording from the WM1A-Z1R combo comes quite close! Being able to see the orchestra probably helps with perceived "imaging," but listening over the headphones after doing so also increases that sense.

Anyway, doing the comparison has definitely affirmed my belief that the Z1R is a great classical headphone. It sounds "big" in the way that being in the hall itself does, but it also has the strong, clear bass I think is critical for that "being there" feeling, especially with instruments like the double bass and tympani.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #8,220 of 9,646
So what would you guys/gals consider an appropriate source for the ier-z1r? I'm looking at getting a set and the only source I own is dx312. Would this pair up well or should I look for another pair up?

Thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back