Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jul 17, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #5,101 of 9,638
Having compared my now-3+ year old Z1R's with the Stellias using a Dave yesterday i'd have to agree with everything you said ,except i didn't really find any area where the Stellias were better, then again i didn't really focus on the treble section.What do you mean by resolving though? I found the Z1R images a lot better,has better separation, the only area where the Stellia came out ahead was in lower midrange detail ,where it was slightly eclipsed by the bass on the Z1R ,but that's due to the tuning and i'd take it any day over the dry lifeless sound of the Stellia.They reminded me of my old audiotechnica m40x (tuning wise)
I also found the build quality and comfort lacking compared to the Sonys.
I think the best upgrade from a Z1R is adding a Dave to it :p
The Stellia is a touch better than the Z1R at resolving micro-detail. However, I agree that the Z1R has a wider and deeper stage, and has better imaging capabilities.

When I'm out and about (during my external auditions), the Hugo 2 has always served as my primary source.

Jul 17, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #5,102 of 9,638
Would a different amp than my thx 789 make a significant difference in sound for the z1r? I don't want to get rid of them without having heard them to their fullest. My budget is ~$1000

No amplifier will take the "U" or "W" frequency response and flatten it unfortunately. I've used a Chord DAVE and used both a GS-X Mk2, GS-X mini and Benchmark HPA4 with it.

Jul 17, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #5,103 of 9,638
What's the best upgrade cable wire? Silver, copper o both mixed?

Jul 17, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #5,104 of 9,638
I, too, was somewhat disappointed in the performance of the Stellia. I found them to be great at technical aspects such as detail retrieval, but they were considerably devoid of musicality, IMO. I can agree that it has its objective strengths, and what it does well, it does really well; however, my predilection for a colored sound constantly steers me away from the Focal headphone.

For context, I shy away from neutrality and absolute clarity. I'm a (huge) fan of a bass-heavy sound; a recessed midrange is not as frowned upon in my book. Now, I understand that this is personal preference is quite the antithesis of the general audiophile's desired target - a balanced, neutral signature.

This is why I love headphones like the Z1R, the TH900 Mk2, the Cascade, the HP-3, and others within the same vein.
I'm the same. I'm no longer an audiophile looking for accuracy, but the sound that engages and excites me, and the z1r does that in spades. I like all my cans like the lcd 4, the empys, abyss, focals etc., but the z1r is truly magical to me.

Jul 17, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #5,105 of 9,638
Every time I think I want to sell the Utopia, I put them back on for a "farewell" listen, then decide not to sell them.
I was there some time ago and the Diana Phi’s sealed their fate for me. Now I don’t have neither headphone and I’m thinking about getting the Utopia’s back.

Jul 17, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #5,106 of 9,638
What's the best upgrade cable wire? Silver, copper o both mixed?

I have a UPOCC [4x 24 awg] all silver stranded cable and a hybrid UPOCC [4x 28 awg solid silver and 4x 24 awg solid copper] cable on tap. Just picked up the Z1R at the UPS Store and will hopefully get a chance to sit down and try the cables out tonight. I have always favored [good] all silver cables with practically all the headphones I have ever owned.

Jul 17, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #5,110 of 9,638
Sony MDR Z1R are in the building[!].

Tidal Masters
Chord Qutest
ecp DSHA-3F Ravenswood [ss] amp
teknorob23 8-cores Neotech UPOCC [4x 28 awg solid silver + 4x 24 awg solid copper], balanced
. . . sundries: USB Disruptor/da Big Genius; UPOCC interconnects and power chord; iFi: iDefender3.0, iSilencer, iPurifier3.0, DakiOm Feedback stabilizer; Tripplite and OneAC power boxes

Blood, Sweat and Tears title album

So far, so good . . . fast, easy and engaging are the first three words that come to mind on first listen.

: )

[Almost pulled the trigger on a pair of Stellia earlier today.]

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #5,111 of 9,638
They sounded more neutral to me on the DAVE then on the TA-ZH1ES .

I do agree with that. It was a great pairing. Throwing in the Kimber Axios cable was the perfect finishing touch to the Z1R IMO.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 2:09 AM Post #5,112 of 9,638
I, too, was somewhat disappointed in the performance of the Stellia. I found them to be great at technical aspects such as detail retrieval, but they were considerably devoid of musicality, IMO. I can agree that it has its objective strengths, and what it does well, it does really well; however, my predilection for a colored sound constantly steers me away from the Focal headphone.

For context, I shy away from neutrality and absolute clarity. I'm a (huge) fan of a bass-heavy sound; a recessed midrange is not as frowned upon in my book. Now, I understand that this is personal preference is quite the antithesis of the general audiophile's desired target - a balanced, neutral signature.

This is why I love headphones like the Z1R, the TH900 Mk2, the Cascade, the HP-3, and others within the same vein.
and there's the rub, the stellia has a more even fr than the z1r to my ears. if you prefer a u shaped fr, then it comes as no surprise that the z1r and the th900 with its v shaped fr, would appeal to you more. it comes down to how you prefer to hear music reproduced as usual.

Jul 18, 2020 at 5:13 AM Post #5,113 of 9,638
I do agree with that. It was a great pairing. Throwing in the Kimber Axios cable was the perfect finishing touch to the Z1R IMO.
While i got the sony kimber cable and did hear an improvement over the stock ones, i'm skeptical as to if the Kimber Axios offer that much of an improvement of the Sony Kimbers.Then again, i have the balanced one and since i'm struggling to find an adapter for the Dave,i'll probably sell it soon and look for another cable so might be worth considering,the retail price gives me pause though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back