Sony Xperia Z3 Audio Quality
Jan 7, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #121 of 655
Don't know either. I tested a Z2 and the output at least was not so powerful. Not necessarily in decibels, it seemd as loud but a bit more muffled, the big difference being bass. It might have more to do with the circuitry or something like that. Also, I'm not sure cos I didn't check it, but does the Z2 have DSEE HX? 

Z2 did not have it prior to the release of the Z3, but after the release a couple months, I believe the Z2 did receive that update in the Walkman player, and enable high res music capability.

The part I don't get here is where Sony engineers claimed the Z2 was capable with high res music, but in order to enjoy it, consumers need external converter, where as in the Z3 they built it in the hardware and the consumer only need a high resolution headphones to enjoy the music. This was the line that caught my attention toward the Z3. Also when I read the Z2 tear down, I thought it used only 1 TFA9890 so it curious me to try out the Z3.

I agree with you, the Z3 is better, but what is this built in converter the engineer claimed ? If Z2 also had the two TFA9890 ? Very curious.

I will wait until the root for lollipop is ready on the Z3, I will root it, and release more power on the Headphones output to see how much more it can handle. I hear Lolipop is the first android OS to allow high res music play back. Hence Z4 will have S-master mobile amp. Who knows ? If it has it, it would cost more than an IPhone, and I don't think people will appreciate it that much lol...

Jan 7, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #122 of 655
Z2 did not have it prior to the release of the Z3, but after the release a couple months, I believe the Z2 did receive that update in the Walkman player, and enable high res music capability.

The part I don't get here is where Sony engineers claimed the Z2 was capable with high res music, but in order to enjoy it, consumers need external converter, where as in the Z3 they built it in the hardware and the consumer only need a high resolution headphones to enjoy the music. This was the line that caught my attention toward the Z3. Also when I read the Z2 tear down, I thought it used only 1 TFA9890 so it curious me to try out the Z3.

I agree with you, the Z3 is better, but what is this built in converter the engineer claimed ? If Z2 also had the two TFA9890 ? Very curious.

I will wait until the root for lollipop is ready on the Z3, I will root it, and release more power on the Headphones output to see how much more it can handle. I hear Lolipop is the first android OS to allow high res music play back. Hence Z4 will have S-master mobile amp. Who knows ? If it has it, it would cost more than an IPhone, and I don't think people will appreciate it that much lol...

Ok so your not playing my game :frowning2:

At the time of the z2 the software required for high res probably didn't work well or at all with the z2 hardware. They later release the z3 and ensure that it does, this gives it a differentiator to help ensure people buy the new device rather than sticking with the old, which you did. Most manufacturers do this with one or more important software improvements to help sales of the new flagship devices.

Back to your other question: assuming the z3 does indeed sounds better than the z2 it will mostly be down to circuit design. Comparing the teardowns of both devices there are quite significant differences. I can go into details of these if you like but they can play a difference in the audio path.

What's important to realise is the DAC is only a small part of this path and frankly implementation is WAY more important than just stating you have a Wolfson DAC in the design. Trust me, a good designer can make what is considered an average DAC sounds considerably better than a poor designer using the best

Jan 9, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #123 of 655
Hi, iam new here and i registered to this board because of this thread.

I also got an Sony Z3 but the Compact version and iam very happy with it. I listen to music with a smartphone very very often (5h a day). I tried many phones and always came back to Sony, because i like the sound characteristic of them.

My last Sony Smartphone was a Sony Sola. Compared to the Z3 Compact it sounds (as all Sony Smartphones) characteristicly nearly the same + it got the same great Equalizer and i can use the same EQ values. But the Sony Sola was a bit more on the warmth side, a bit smoother for my ears a bit better for long listen sessions. The Z3 Compact has more details but its a bit more hard in sound.

I use the Phlips SHE9800 with the phones.
Review here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/620758/review-philips-she9800-dynamic-or-dynamically-fun-iems

Now i think about another Sony Smartphone (maybe the Z2?) Who knows if it sounds smoother with a bit more warmth sound? Or should i buy new better/warmer InEars to match the phone better?

Iam not an audiophile i just like to listen to music a lot with a natural but punchy/fun/warmth sound.
Sorry for my bad english.

Jan 9, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #124 of 655
Hi, iam new here and i registered to this board because of this thread.

I also got an Sony Z3 but the Compact version and iam very happy with it. I listen to music with a smartphone very very often (5h a day). I tried many phones and always came back to Sony, because i like the sound characteristic of them.

My last Sony Smartphone was a Sony Sola. Compared to the Z3 Compact it sounds (as all Sony Smartphones) characteristicly nearly the same + it got the same great Equalizer and i can use the same EQ values. But the Sony Sola was a bit more on the warmth side, a bit smoother for my ears a bit better for long listen sessions. The Z3 Compact has more details but its a bit more hard in sound.

I use the Phlips SHE9800 with the phones.
Review here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/620758/review-philips-she9800-dynamic-or-dynamically-fun-iems

Now i think about another Sony Smartphone (maybe the Z2?) Who knows if it sounds smoother with a bit more warmth sound? Or should i buy new better/warmer InEars to match the phone better?

Iam not an audiophile i just like to listen to music a lot with a natural but punchy/fun/warmth sound.
Sorry for my bad english.

Welcome to the forum. Here you will find the best sound quality of anything in the world with different people, taste, love...it is endless sound and audio haven here.

In your case.

It is definitely your earphones. If you want warmer sound I recommend IM70 , some people say IM50 is not bad. I love them both. But I prefer my Sound Soul S-018 nowadays ways more. I love the detailed highs without sibilant and clear bass. I was just like you, and thought the Z3 is very bright, in fact when you change headphones, those brights are the details and highs were mushed together by a bad earphones.

Of course, if you are all about that bass, no trebles ....lol...beats and Bose.

Z2 sounded similar to Z3 , but as the thread goes. It has the same chips set.

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #125 of 655
Welcome to the forum. Here you will find the best sound quality of anything in the world with different people, taste, love...it is endless sound and audio haven here.

In your case.

It is definitely your earphones. If you want warmer sound I recommend IM70 , some people say IM50 is not bad. I love them both. But I prefer my Sound Soul S-018 nowadays ways more. I love the detailed highs without sibilant and clear bass. I was just like you, and thought the Z3 is very bright, in fact when you change headphones, those brights are the details and highs were mushed together by a bad earphones.

Of course, if you are all about that bass, no trebles ....lol...beats and Bose.

Z2 sounded similar to Z3 , but as the thread goes. It has the same chips set.

Hi, thank you for your answer. :)

Ok i will maybe try another earphones soon with the Z3 Compact. I will look at the IM70 is there also any nice earphone from Sony with warm sound to match the phone a bit better? But it should also have the details... :) I guess i want all again hehe.

Btw. I use PowerAmp with the Built-In EQ from Sony which you can access via the Walkman App (or press long on MusicFX in PowerAmp). The EQ is everywhere active. It doesn't even matter if you have MusicFX on or of in PowerAmp. I tried a bit with the EQ from Sony and i see if i go -1db or -2db with 2,5KHz band on the EQ from Sony it sounds a bit more like on my old Sony Sola but still different.

I guess if Sony Z2 and Sony Z3 use the same chip sets and they updated the Z2 in the last time... Z2 will maybe sound like the Z3 now. Would be interessting if someone could compare this point. I know that firmwares can make a chipset sound totaly different. I tried my old Sony Sola with Cyanogenmod it sounds so bad like it was another phone, so i switched back to original Sony firmware and the great sound was back again.

Edit: I have a kind of signal noise all the time with the Z3 Compact if i listen on very low volume is that normal?

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #126 of 655
Hi, thank you for your answer. :)

Ok i will maybe try another earphones soon with the Z3 Compact. I will look at the IM70 is there also any nice earphone from Sony with warm sound to match the phone a bit better? But it should also have the details... :) I guess i want all again hehe.

Btw. I use PowerAmp with the Built-In EQ from Sony which you can access via the Walkman App (or press long on MusicFX in PowerAmp). The EQ is everywhere active. It doesn't even matter if you have MusicFX on or of in PowerAmp. I tried a bit with the EQ from Sony and i see if i go -1db or -2db with 2,5KHz band on the EQ from Sony it sounds a bit more like on my old Sony Sola but still different.

I guess if Sony Z2 and Sony Z3 use the same chip sets and they updated the Z2 in the last time... Z2 will maybe sound like the Z3 now. Would be interessting if someone could compare this point. I know that firmwares can make a chipset sound totaly different. I tried my old Sony Sola with Cyanogenmod it sounds so bad like it was another phone, so i switched back to original Sony firmware and the great sound was back again.

Edit: I have a kind of signal noise all the time with the Z3 Compact if i listen on very low volume is that normal?

This? You will have to ask around with Sony heaphones people. I am budget quality earphones kinda guy. I came across Sony a few times. I do know they are a giant marketing company, so for quality, they will be expensive. I heard MDR 1RA is good, but those are 350$ headphones. I would never try it lol.

I do sample high end earphones and stuff. So I would say IM70 is something cheap, warm, details...very good. Im70 is about 100 or less, but they can compete to those of 250-300$.

As for Sony ? I guess anything extra bass would do, and they typically is 40$ or more

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #127 of 655
You could try the Sony mh1c. They are cheap but great sounding and universally well received here. They also have a preset in the z3 eq for them

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #128 of 655
You could try the Sony mh1c. They are cheap but great sounding and universally well received here. They also have a preset in the z3 eq for them

There's no way that the power put out by the Z3 compact will be enough for the MH1C.

Jan 9, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #129 of 655
There's no way that the power put out by the Z3 compact will be enough for the MH1C.

It was using the MH1C that I trialed a Z3 in store. Admittedly it was with the free tracks on the device but at full volume is quite sufficient, at least with those tracks (they may well be very 'loud' tracks). The issue for me personally is I level my music with replaygain so it would then become too quiet.

Jan 9, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #130 of 655
It was using the MH1C that I trialed a Z3 in store. Admittedly it was with the free tracks on the device but at full volume is quite sufficient, at least with those tracks (they may well be very 'loud' tracks). The issue for me personally is I level my music with replaygain so it would then become too quiet.

Ok, I'll admit I was lazy not to test before I posted :wink: I'll bring out the Mh1c tomorrow and see how it works. I just got the Z3C today and have only tried it with the ATH-CKR10 so far. The 10's are very easy to drive and I still need to crank the volume to 2/3 of maximum so I just.assumed it wouldn't be sufficient with the Mh1c.

Jan 9, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #131 of 655
Ok, I'll admit I was lazy not to test before I posted :wink: I'll bring out the Mh1c tomorrow and see how it works. I just got the Z3C today and have only tried it with the ATH-CKR10 so far. The 10's are very easy to drive and I still need to crank the volume to 2/3 of maximum so I just.assumed it wouldn't be sufficient with the Mh1c.

Cool, I'm interested in your opinions so please post :)

Z3C is my top pick right now it's just the volume issue that's a deal breaker for me: I use GR07 and MH1C both of which aren't exactly the most efficient to drive. The SQ seemed great on the sample tracks.

What's your opinion on the SQ so far?

Jan 9, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #133 of 655
Cool, I'm interested in your opinions so please post :)

Z3C is my top pick right now it's just the volume issue that's a deal breaker for me: I use GR07 and MH1C both of which aren't exactly the most efficient to drive. The SQ seemed great on the sample tracks.

What's your opinion on the SQ so far?

Tbh I'm not overly impressed by the SQ but then again I've never been with any phone. I'd say it's about pair with the M7 it's replacing but it's a bit early to say.

The stock player did not sound good to me but with UAPP it does sound better. I tried very briefly with some full size cans (Fidelio X2) but didn't get enough volume although they're also very easy to drive.

I'll try some more headphones and IEM's during the weekend and let you know my findings.

Jan 9, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #134 of 655
Tbh I'm not overly impressed by the SQ but then again I've never been with any phone. I'd say it's about pair with the M7 it's replacing but it's a bit early to say.

The stock player did not sound good to me but with UAPP it does sound better. I tried very briefly with some full size cans (Fidelio X2) but didn't get enough volume although they're also very easy to drive.

I'll try some more headphones and IEM's during the weekend and let you know my findings.

That's interesting, you are in the same transition as me, from M7. I genuinely really love the SQ from the M7, I'm not in a rush to let it go that's for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back