Sony XBA Series Review and Comparison (XBA-1, 2, 3, 4)
Jun 30, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #46 of 131
I've listen to these enough to go ahead with a small review so here you go.

Specs,

Price - $62 Amazon
Driver - Sony's new Full-range single balanced armature
Impedance - 24 ohm @ 1kHz
Sensitivity - 108 dB
Frequency Response - 5 Hz to 25 kHz

Accessories,

4 sets of Sony hybrid tips
3 sets of noise isolating tips
1 shirt clip.
1 carrying pouch

Build Quality - The housings are made of a strong plastic and the inside is layered with they're
"Liquid Crystal Polymer" and special ABS outer housing all in an effert to reduce distortion and
it seems to work.  The cord is pretty flat which I like because they don't tangle up to much.  The
all important L jack and I'd say these are very solid.

Fit - They XBA-1 fits really well because of its size, its not a big housing so people with small canals should have no problem with these.  They're quite comfortable so long listening sessions
will be fine.  The cords spliter is high up on the left side so the left is much shorter than the right
but the way its made makes it a non issue.                                 

Sound Quality,

Bass - I've read a few reviews that stated theres no bass which is not true at all, I think thoughs people don't have experience with BA's.  The bass has good texture and depth with the impact you'd expect from a single BA, its doesn't thump like a dynamic driver or even multipule BA's but theres enough the satisfy most non bassheads.  I really like the detail of the XBA-1's bass its very resolving with decent decay times for a single BA.

Mids - This is where the XBA-1 shines with forward mids that are smooth, warm and detailed so vocals sound very nice.  Midrange melodies like pianos, horns and strings all sound vibrent and very smooth.  To me I think the Sony's mids sound a touch better than the Creative Aurvana IE3's midrange, they sound a bit more laid back compared to the very forward Aurvana's but still nice and detailed.

Highs - Heres where thing get tricky because they're laid back to a point where I had to EQ them up a little (not to much just 2 maybe 3 notches).  After I got them to have some sparkle they sounded much better with a fair amount of detail but lack some micro detail of high priced BA based IEM's.

Soundstage/Presentation - I was quite surprised how cohesive the soundstage is, it has what I like to say is above average width and depth for a single BA in its price range.  I get a good sense of space and openness with these IEM's.  The presentation is also very good for what they cost having good imaging and separation and also a good 3D effect which sounds quite good with edm and even classical.

Conclusion - For $62 and free shipping I don't really have anything bad to say about these, they have a good consumer friendly sound with a nice amount of detail as any BA should.  The mid-centric sound always make music sound smoother to me and for anyone that thinks they don't have bass balanced armatures especially single BA's might not be what your looking for.  People that want a smooth, warm and rich sound at a very reasonable price should not look past the XBA-1.

Jul 30, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #47 of 131
forgot thank you nikp , brought my xba-3 15 days ago , really nice sound for just $155 , awesome , better then my ue 700 , better bass and nice highs , good mids . thanks for the helping review .

Jul 30, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #48 of 131
Agreed, highs and mids r just great. Never heard anything like that. I am sure the burn in worked in my case not like i got addicted 2 my xba3 but now it sounds really nice 2 me.
Few questions please. On its box its written 'the B and E series walkman r not supported with xba3 while smartphones and iphones are' and i am using E373 walkman.
Does that mean my E373 lacks the potential of driving my xba3 to its maximum? If yes then how?
And also tell me if this sony xperis s is a better option than e373 for audio quality or not.
I asked bcoz Xperia s has more audio tech than e373 like both have clear bass clear stereo while xperia s has 3d surround too as im plannin on buying a SONY smartphone.

thx

Jul 30, 2012 at 6:54 AM Post #49 of 131
why dont you try out what the case is , but i dont think a mobile is better then a mp3 player , my old nwz615 is still unbeatable by even the sgs3 .

Jul 30, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #50 of 131
Sony XBA series is great even i am using  XBA-BT . However , sound quality is greatly affected by the bluetooth signal transmittion source . (extremely great with notebook , but ordinary with a phone )

I am just wondering whether XBA-1 and XBA-BT75  sound the same ?  as i  am thinking of buying XBA-1
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 23, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #51 of 131
I recently bought XBA-1iP, but was kinda disappointed by it.

I didn't really enjoy the forward treble, it was too ear piercing to me, coming from the normal apple earbuds. But the bass was definitely better than the apple earbuds. Now I just resort to using the treble reducer on the ipod touch. 

Also, I would like to inquire about the fit of the hybrid earbuds, are they supposed to go fully in or just partial or just nice at the tip?

Aug 23, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #52 of 131
Quote:

I didn't really enjoy the forward treble, it was too ear piercing to me, coming from the normal apple earbuds. But the bass was definitely better than the apple earbuds. Now I just resort to using the treble reducer on the ipod touch. 

Also, I would like to inquire about the fit of the hybrid earbuds, are they supposed to go fully in or just partial or just nice at the tip?

If there's one thing the XBA-1 aren't is treble happy, they have relaxed rolled of highs not ear piercing to me at all.  I don't know if yours had some thing wrong or a problem with fit because if you don't get a good seal then IEM's can sound to treble oriented.

Aug 23, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #53 of 131
Quote:

If there's one thing the XBA-1 aren't is treble happy, they have relaxed rolled of highs not ear piercing to me at all.  I don't know if yours had some thing wrong or a problem with fit because if you don't get a good seal then IEM's can sound to treble oriented.

Thanks for the tip :) 

Thats what I'm wondering as well. Probably I didn't get a good seal. I saw a few threads on how to properly insert eartips but it varies from IEM.

Aug 23, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #54 of 131
Quote:

you should have not jumped from apple buds to a BA phone , never mind , but highs are not that bad , its what i call good , now it comes up to what are you listening . try equalizing . a good cheap phone for you can be meelec cw31 .

about fit , it should go in , as deep as it can , not till it hurts , at least the whole bud is supposed to be inside for a secure fit . keep it in your comfort zone , or you can try over the ear . more secure way , but not liked by every one . hybrids are some of the best rubber tips in the business but replacing them with a comply foam tip will reduce the treble for you . i got the xba-3 , auditioned the xba-1 , they are really good . and i believe , you will enjoy them . by the way how long did you burned it in ?

Aug 23, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #55 of 131
Quote:
     you should have not jumped from apple buds to a BA phone , never mind , but highs are not that bad , its what i call good , now it comes up to what are you listening . try equalizing . a good cheap phone for you can be meelec cw31 .

about fit , it should go in , as deep as it can , not till it hurts , at least the whole bud is supposed to be inside for a secure fit . keep it in your comfort zone , or you can try over the ear . more secure way , but not liked by every one . hybrids are some of the best rubber tips in the business but replacing them with a comply foam tip will reduce the treble for you . i got the xba-3 , auditioned the xba-1 , they are really good . and i believe , you will enjoy them . by the way how long did you burned it in ?

By equalizing you mean reducing the treble? My current source is ipod touch 3rd gen, tried using the treble reducer. Made things slightly better for me. 

I'll try out your suggested tip for a secure fit. Also, is it really proven that the comply eartips will reduce treble? :O if so, I don't mind putting in the extra money. 

Thanks for your help so far! :) 

Aug 23, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #56 of 131
Quote:
By equalizing you mean reducing the treble? My current source is ipod touch 3rd gen, tried using the treble reducer. Made things slightly better for me. 

I'll try out your suggested tip for a secure fit. Also, is it really proven that the comply eartips will reduce treble? :O if so, I don't mind putting in the extra money. 

Thanks for your help so far! :) 

comply says the sound dont change , but yeah its as close as proven .

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #59 of 131
     comply says the sound dont change , but yeah its as close as proven .

Could you direct me to that proof?

Thanks, Jim

Sep 13, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #60 of 131
Quote:
Could you direct me to that proof?
Thanks, Jim

this is the ue 600 with comply tips .

this one with ue silicone ear tips . you can see the difference .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back