Sony XBA Series Review and Comparison (XBA-1, 2, 3, 4)
Jan 9, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #107 of 131
I had both at the same time and over all the RE262 is quite a bit better imo.  The RE262 has more over all detail in the mids which are very good and the soundstage along with the imaging and separation are also better.  The XBA-1 is a nice warm and smooth IEM for the price but now that the RE262 is $120 that's a much better deal imo.

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #108 of 131
Quote:
I had both at the same time and over all the RE262 is quite a bit better imo.  The RE262 has more over all detail in the mids which are very good and the soundstage along with the imaging and separation are also better.  The XBA-1 is a nice warm and smooth IEM for the price but now that the RE262 is $120 that's a much better deal imo.

Great Thanks!

Feb 16, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #109 of 131
I can't comment on XBA-1 but I do have the XBA-10. Been using them for a few weeks now, previously I had been using the stock MDR-NC020 headphones that came with the Sony X1060 MP3 player for at least 2 years now - they still work but I had a friend visiting Japan so I thought I'd try out the XBA-10 to see how it compares.

First thing I noticed was that the cord was Y-shape and not J-shape like the XBA-1, its a good cord that can be untangled easily.

I'm no expert, also I've only just signed up as a user to this forum.. mids and highs are nice but there is little low end bass regardless of what size tip I tried. The sound feels natural, comfortable but lacks the warmth of sound I get from the MDR-NC020. For 6000 yen they are good and feel like they will last a long time.

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #110 of 131
I have the XBA-2ip that I purchased 4 weeks ago, and now I have the opportunity to grab the XBA-3ip for even less cost of what I paid for the xba-2ip (I can get the xba-3ip for USD$100). I like the XBA-2ip is some sense but not in others so i wonder if you can advise me on the rationale to upgrade and get the XBA-3ip.

Things I like of the XBA-2ip
  1. Very good clarity
  2. Reasonable soundstage, and good instrument separation
  3. Good mids albeit I find the voices a bit "unnatural"
  4. Good highs but somethings a bit to edgy
  5. Very comfortable, good fit for my ears

Things I would expect the XBA-3ip to improve to justify the upgrade
  1. More body in the sound, the XBA-2 sounds a bit too thin, perhaps sounds a bit too bright and I would like a bit more warmth without losing clarity
  2. More bass presence
  3. Better defined highs, not so edgy
  4. Similar comfort
  5. Perhaps wider soundstage, and perhaps better intrument separation (albeit I am fine on this with the XBA-2)

Anyway, please let me know if the jump from the XBA-2 to the XBA-3 would improve the sounds in these areas.

Thanks indeed.

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #111 of 131
Yesterday I got the XBA-4 (for very cheap $1424 mexican pesos, something like $115 US Dollars) and I got to say that I like the XBA-1 the best, I would be very mad if I had paid the original MSRP (like $3799 mexican pesos or more than $300 US Dollars). The XBA-1 sound louder and they fit better, thus better sound and isolation. I bought the XBA-3 directly from Sony Mexico on December and still haven't got them (actually paid more for the XBA-3, like $120 US dollars). Hope those are better than the 4s and 1s.

Apr 30, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #112 of 131
Just got my XBA-3. Will be testing over the next week and giving some feedback soon after that. They weren't exactly what I was wanting, but I couldn't pass them up for $59. New toys make me excited!

May 3, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #114 of 131
Hey, first post here, been lurking a while looking for opinions on some relatively cheap IEMs and wanted to mention I just picked up a pair of XBA-1s at my local Target on clearance for <$25! I gave them a test right out of the box and must say I'm very pleased with them, especially at such a great price. I'm giving them a burn-in now and look forward to hearing how they come out.

May 3, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #115 of 131
Quote:
I have the XBA-2ip that I purchased 4 weeks ago, and now I have the opportunity to grab the XBA-3ip for even less cost of what I paid for the xba-2ip (I can get the xba-3ip for USD$100). I like the XBA-2ip is some sense but not in others so i wonder if you can advise me on the rationale to upgrade and get the XBA-3ip.

Things I like of the XBA-2ip
  1. Very good clarity
  2. Reasonable soundstage, and good instrument separation
  3. Good mids albeit I find the voices a bit "unnatural"
  4. Good highs but somethings a bit to edgy
  5. Very comfortable, good fit for my ears

Things I would expect the XBA-3ip to improve to justify the upgrade
  1. More body in the sound, the XBA-2 sounds a bit too thin, perhaps sounds a bit too bright and I would like a bit more warmth without losing clarity
  2. More bass presence
  3. Better defined highs, not so edgy
  4. Similar comfort
  5. Perhaps wider soundstage, and perhaps better intrument separation (albeit I am fine on this with the XBA-2)

Anyway, please let me know if the jump from the XBA-2 to the XBA-3 would improve the sounds in these areas.

Thanks indeed.

I can't comment on the 2s, but the 3s are to me, exactly what you're predicting. I've had my share of IEMs to go on and the 3s are a great value for the amount of detail you get. The mids and highs seem a little more aggressive to me, but they're also the clearest I've heard in a non $300+ iem. The stage is a little wider than average, however, instrument separation is quite nice. I'm not blown away by the bass, at least not in terms of quantity. What IS there is quite controlled and balanced, and I'm thinking some portable amp love may put the perfect bump in my proverbial trunk. Cheers!

Dec 2, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #117 of 131
I managed to get the XBA-4's on clearance for $149AUD at a Sony dealer. I was looking at getting earphones to replace my Beats Studios (yes I know they are horrid, I was only just starting to go into headphones when I got the Beats lol) and I was originally going to go for the Logitech UE 500 or 700's as they were in my budget, until I got told by the rep at the Sony dealer about the clearance. I snapped up a pair straight away and was originally not too impressed with the quality, until I finished the burn in period. I must say that they are absolutely incredible and very much worth my $149. I find that they have a tight punchy bass that can also boom in certain songs, without sacrificing the highs and mids. The highs and mids sound quite accurate and pleasant through the genres I listen to (pop, rap, hip hop and rock) with the soundstage being quite pleasant. It feels like the recording studio set up shop in the middle of my brain, which makes my music sound very intimate and lets me absorb completely into my songs. I also love how well they isolate noise. I use the SS tips (pink) as they provide the best fit to my small entries to my ear canals. When I put these earphones in, outside noise reduces quite significantly, which I absolutely love. I'm not the only one in my family that loves these Xba-4's. When I let my dad listen to these on his iPod, he completely fell in love with them and told me that the clarity was absolutely amazing. Quite happy I bought a 2nd pair with mine so I can give them to him for Christmas.

Absolutely love these earphones and I hope they last for a long time.

Also, is there any chance anyone could do a comparison between the XBA-4's and the Logitech UE 900's?

Dec 3, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #118 of 131
Sorry to reply to an old thread, but basically i can get either for the same price, but which would you choose?

XBA- H1  (hybrid9 9mm + balanced armature), or XBA-2IP (dual balanced armature), the first retails for £100 the latter for £200, but i can get both for same price, sound alone or from experience it is much appreciated guys, I have searched endlessly and can not find an answer?

Much Appreciated!

Jan 19, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #119 of 131
Friends if you have problems with the sound quality, the glue that brings change default brings the smallest foam to reduce noise, this forms greatly improved the sound of low mids and highs are much better.
if it does not serve what I told you to keep trying different sizes of tires to see which suits you more and better sound for you, the smallest foam was brought excellent sound is far better than before.

Amigos si tienen problemas con la calidad del sonido, cambien la goma que trae por defecto por la mas pequeña que trae espuma para reducir ruido, de esta formas mejoro mucho el sonido de bajos medios y agudos son muchisimo mejor.
si no te sirve lo que te dije sigue probando con los diferentes tamaños de gomas para ver la que mas te acomode y mejore el sonido para ti, la mas pequeña con espuma que trajo fue exelente el sonido es muchisimo mejor que antes.

Jan 25, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #120 of 131
I have my beloved XBA H1, I love the sound on them, the build quality too.
I have really bad OCD, and my pockets are always full, tissues in one etc.
I always want to change my ipod song, and always move my ipod in and out of my trouser pocket however i am worried about premature damage to the cable? As despite how much i lvoe the no tangle business (especially when i use the case), it seems like it may be weak near the connector.
Also i prefer J type cables but this is a Y cable I have learnt to get along with it. I use it with no clip, but i suffer and issue, I have tried all buds.
The right ear seals, instantly and stays that way (unless im fumbling with my pockets!), then left never seems fully sealed, and when it eventually gets sealed usualy falls out soon after!
I have owned 3 pairs of sonys with same buds that are supplied with these and no similar issues?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back