Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Sep 10, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #1,156 of 2,298
Yep, I really like the bass on these but I wouldn't say it is a truly basshead IEM.

If I am looking for a real basshead experience, I'll always reach for my IMR R1, but the N3 is still pretty satisfying.

I guess it should be enough for me. Even though, I like deep and wide bass.

No arguing there, IMR R1 DD is massive and if you match it with the right filters... :)

Sep 10, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #1,157 of 2,298
Just did not like the tonality on IMR R1 at all.

Sep 10, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #1,159 of 2,298
Without derailing the present thread, one would be tempted to ask: which of its tonalities?
OK, the subjectively perceived 'temperature' of the top to bottom presentation of IEMs....
cold/cool/neutral/natural/warm

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #1,160 of 2,298
I have ordered a Sony Xperia Z3 to pair with the N3. My ipod touch 5G works ok but lacks finesse and smoothness to my ears. I hope the Z3 can bring just that.

Curiously I prefer to listen to the N3 straight out of the ipod touch jack rather than the DFB. With the DFB, the sound is so acurate and clear that it is distracting me from the music. My attention jumps from sounds to sounds instead of flowing in a river of music if that makes any sense :astonished:

Sep 11, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #1,161 of 2,298
I have ordered a Sony Xperia Z3 to pair with the N3. My ipod touch 5G works ok but lacks finesse and smoothness to my ears. I hope the Z3 can bring just that.

Curiously I prefer to listen to the N3 straight out of the ipod touch jack rather than the DFB. With the DFB, the sound is so acurate and clear that it is distracting me from the music. My attention jumps from sounds to sounds instead of flowing in a river of music if that makes any sense :astonished:

Interesting... I don't know the exact parameters of iPod touch serie, but for me, the main issue with classic/nano was really weak amp. N3 shouldn't be hard to drive, but I have experienced quite a different sound, even with "easy driveable IEMs" comparing iPod to other DAPs.

I'd say Z3 will sound differently from your iPod...

Sep 16, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #1,162 of 2,298
I have had these for a couple of years now and still love them to death. Do you guys know how I can buy the Balanced Standard 1.2m Headphone Cable
MUC-M12NB1 in the US from a place that can guarantee its not counterfeit? Also, why is the price on Amazon twice as much as it was 2 years ago? Its listed at 499. Is Sony doing an upgrade to this model? So many questions yet such little info on what could be their best in-ear headphones.

Sep 16, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #1,163 of 2,298
I have had these for a couple of years now and still love them to death. Do you guys know how I can buy the Balanced Standard 1.2m Headphone Cable
MUC-M12NB1 in the US from a place that can guarantee its not counterfeit? Also, why is the price on Amazon twice as much as it was 2 years ago? Its listed at 499. Is Sony doing an upgrade to this model? So many questions yet such little info on what could be their best in-ear headphones.

This is an often used and trusted site on this forum

http://www.accessoryjack.com/sony-muc-m12nb1-balanced-standard-1-2m-headphone-cable-black.html

You can get it cheaper from ebay or if you have a buying service that can buy it in Japan for you. I would not worry about getting a counterfeit, the potential sales for high end items like this are so low in quantity that it's not worth counterfeiting. If they are shipping out from Japan, I can practically guarantee that it's the real thing as Japan is really proactive in keeping counterfeit items from entering Japan.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #1,167 of 2,298
Hello all, I ended up getting the XBA N3BP with the Kimber Kable. With my WM1A, it's more or less endgame set-up for me. Very satisfying rig.

Would anyone know of a balanced closed back pair of headphones that has similar tuning to the XBA N3BP - i.e., lots of detail in the sub-bass, warm and musical sounding while being balanced? Could be Sony or otherwise.

Thanks kindly.

Nov 3, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #1,168 of 2,298
Hello all, I ended up getting the XBA N3BP with the Kimber Kable. With my WM1A, it's more or less endgame set-up for me. Very satisfying rig.

Would anyone know of a balanced closed back pair of headphones that has similar tuning to the XBA N3BP - i.e., lots of detail in the sub-bass, warm and musical sounding while being balanced? Could be Sony or otherwise.

Thanks kindly.
Fostex’s line-up could suit you well. The TH900MkII in particular have their optional balanced cable.
Or Beyerdynamic’s Amiron Home with the 4-pin balanced cable? They’re open-back but leak little and fit your description.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back