Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Jan 13, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #976 of 2,298
Thanks Scott! Just got them today and have been listening to them for a few hours. I got some comply tips and they seem more comfy than the included ones. At first they seemed quite dark sounding compared to the Westone UM2. However, after listening for an hour or so, going back to the Westone starts sounding a bit too bright! The N3 are sounding a bit more neutral now! I still don't know if I'll end up keeping them but I will keep using them for a while until they are burnt in.

I'm using the balanced cable that came with it on my nw-zx300 though the high gain balanced output. I don't have an SE for these iem's so I cant be sure if there is any major difference between the balanced and the SE output.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and answers! I'll come back and write more impressions once I have used them more.

Scott, you were a pleasure to do business with you. Very fair price and shipping was super fast! Thanks.

Thanks for the kind words Jon, keep in mind I didn't put hardly any hours on them and I do think the sound will change a bit once the dynamic driver settles in. And I always find comply darken the sound a touch. And I appreciate the fast payment and good communication. LookIng forward to more impressions.

Jan 13, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #977 of 2,298
Anyone having Xelento or AK T8iE parallel with XBA-N3AP in his inventory and can compare the sound signatures.
In my inventory there is also K3003 and i think N3 is more coherent and the rest is on the same level.

Jan 13, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #978 of 2,298
These sounded amazing, unfortunately I can't wear them without discomfort. I would just like to ask if anyone's had any experience with westone w20, or mme pinnacle which are supposed to be pretty comfortable and I can run balanced. Sorry for off topic.

I'm also considering ie800 original now that the price is down and the zx300 sounds great even through SE. And these are tiny.

Jan 13, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #979 of 2,298
I don't have w20 but I'm currently using um 10 and um 30, which I believe is similar in form factor with the w series. And they're the most comfortable iems I've tried. But the Westone house sound is quite a daparture from sonys and you'd better try before you buy. I enjoy both for different music.

And have you tried foam tips with N3AP? I had conform issue with them with the stock tips, but with comply foams it's much better.

Jan 14, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #980 of 2,298
I have the UM2 which looks similar in shape as well and I agree with the above comment. It is the most comfortable iem I have tried and it sounds very different so far than the N3. I’m still burning in the N3 so I’m curious to see how it changes. I’m also experimenting with the comply and the included tips.

Jan 14, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #981 of 2,298
These sounded amazing, unfortunately I can't wear them without discomfort. I would just like to ask if anyone's had any experience with westone w20, or mme pinnacle which are supposed to be pretty comfortable and I can run balanced. Sorry for off topic.

I'm also considering ie800 original now that the price is down and the zx300 sounds great even through SE. And these are tiny.

I haven't used them but have you seen the Rose Mini 2? They have a bad rep for build quality but MMCX & tiny. Yamaha recently updated the old classic EPH-100 with the EPH-200 which now has MMCX, though the nozzle might be too wide if is an issue.

Since you seem to have some difficulty with fit, have you considered CIEMs or custom tips (like Snugs)?

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #982 of 2,298
I don't have w20 but I'm currently using um 10 and um 30, which I believe is similar in form factor with the w series. And they're the most comfortable iems I've tried. But the Westone house sound is quite a daparture from sonys and you'd better try before you buy. I enjoy both for different music.

And have you tried foam tips with N3AP? I had conform issue with them with the stock tips, but with comply foams it's much better.

Yes I tried comply, the most comfy tips were the Sony hybrid believe it or not, can you please describe how the sound is different?

Thanks

Jan 14, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #983 of 2,298
I haven't used them but have you seen the Rose Mini 2? They have a bad rep for build quality but MMCX & tiny. Yamaha recently updated the old classic EPH-100 with the EPH-200 which now has MMCX, though the nozzle might be too wide if is an issue.

Since you seem to have some difficulty with fit, have you considered CIEMs or custom tips (like Snugs)?

Nope haven't tried custom tips, it the body of the iem that can cause problems also, I just know which I can wear. I will be buying them from an easy return place in case they bug me.

Thanks for the info.

Jan 14, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #984 of 2,298
I have the UM2 which looks similar in shape as well and I agree with the above comment. It is the most comfortable iem I have tried and it sounds very different so far than the N3. I’m still burning in the N3 so I’m curious to see how it changes. I’m also experimenting with the comply and the included tips.

That sounds encouraging :)

Jan 14, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #985 of 2,298
Yes I tried comply, the most comfy tips were the Sony hybrid believe it or not, can you please describe how the sound is different?

Thanks
For me um series have warmer bass, forward mids and darker treble. N3AP are slightly v shaped and have more impactful bass and brighter treble. UM series are smooth, relaxed and musical, and N3AP are energetic and fun. UM series for Tom Waits and N3AP for Massive Attack.

Jan 14, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #986 of 2,298
I have the N3 as well as CA Andromeda and Vega. All have very different sound signatures and I listen to them based on my moods. Andromeda when I'm not in the mood for bass heavy listening (mostly for acoustic\live music). Vega for high energy in your face music (Rage Against the Machine, Hiphop) but gets fatiguing quickly. N3 for well balanced and full sound without the over the top bass (most favorite for R&B genre). Out of them all I feel the N3 is the most versatile and comfort.

I'm currently looking for a balanced pairing to go with the ZX300, and have been deciding between the Andromeda and the N3. Are you (or anyone else) able to elaborate a little further with your experience in using both IEM's? (I've had limited experience with IEM's, but in terms of full sized headphones, I've leaned towards headphones such as the L700, HD800 and Eikon).

Ideally I'm looking for something that is highly capable of providing plenty of detail for instrumental/orchestral, vocals etc, but is also able to handle a wide variety of other genres such as rock, metal and occasionally RnB/pop music. The Andromeda appears to be greatly regarded, but I've seen reports that the Andromeda can be uncomfortable to wear for an extended duration due to the build/fit.

Any thoughts/experiences regarding both of these IEM's would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jan 14, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #987 of 2,298
Ideally I'm looking for something that is highly capable of providing plenty of detail for instrumental/orchestral, vocals etc, but is also able to handle a wide variety of other genres such as rock, metal and occasionally RnB/pop music.

Thanks

FWIW IMO N3 are quality all-rounders EXCEPT for some classical/jazz- it's listenable and the bass works really nicely for those genre, but I sometimes find instrument (particularly string & some brass) timbre is off- probably I just prefer a brighter sound for that music. Also the presentation is more on the compact, closed side, so if you are looking for something analogous to HD800 probably not what you want (though I've only heard 800 once a long time ago so I could be totaly off base here).

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #988 of 2,298
I'm currently looking for a balanced pairing to go with the ZX300, and have been deciding between the Andromeda and the N3. Are you (or anyone else) able to elaborate a little further with your experience in using both IEM's? (I've had limited experience with IEM's, but in terms of full sized headphones, I've leaned towards headphones such as the L700, HD800 and Eikon).

Ideally I'm looking for something that is highly capable of providing plenty of detail for instrumental/orchestral, vocals etc, but is also able to handle a wide variety of other genres such as rock, metal and occasionally RnB/pop music. The Andromeda appears to be greatly regarded, but I've seen reports that the Andromeda can be uncomfortable to wear for an extended duration due to the build/fit.

Thanks

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Sony tends to have a house sound which leans towards being warm and more natural sounding to my ears. The N3 is the most comfortable iem I've ever used to date (I prefer wearing cables downwards as opposed to Andromeda over-ear style). With the Andromeda I find myself frequently readjusting, especially when I'm on the move. Andromeda has a brighter sound which makes me think it's more detailed. Tips can greatly alter the sound for both. I switch between Sprial Dots (brightest sounding), Comply smartcore (comfort, warmer sound) and SpinFits (best seal and best bass). The included triple comfort tips included with the N3 were too small for my right ear so I don't use them.

Jan 15, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #990 of 2,298
So all along I have been thinking of the N3 as a somewhat darker sounding iem. Boy was I wrong!

Today I went to the doctor and got my ear's cleaned. I can't believe how much that was affecting my hearing; specially on the higher notes. The N3 to me sound quite balanced now!

We are always looking how to improve the way we perceive music and sometimes we are so busy looking at gear that we forget the most important instrument; our ears!

I am listening to the MTV Unplugged album by Florence + the Machine and it sounds superb with the N3. I'm using the Comply tips and they work great for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back