Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Jan 25, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #1,261 of 2,298
I personally like it for metal. Yeah, as said before, I also would have liked a bit tighter and snappier low end, but given the price and the other pros, the n3 is pretty good. I also like how forgiving it is as with metal it is easier to get carried away (at least for me) with the volume settings and the n3 saves me from the ringing in the ears and temporary (I hope so) reduction in hearing afterwards.

It is laid-back in a way, which is a strength at times. It is forgiving at the same time holds accuracy. But it’s good for extended listening for these reasons. It just doesn’t have a wow factor at first, but then shows that it politely does more than you first thought it could. I agree with the lower volume way of using it, as some people have to crank up music for bass, but if you have bass at a lower volume then you don’t turn it up as loud.

Jan 25, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #1,262 of 2,298
I agree with the lower volume way of using it, as some people have to crank up music for bass, but if you have bass at a lower volume then you don’t turn it up as loud.
Nah, I meant that every now and then I like to blast my head off with metal goodness, so I crank up the volume and start air drumming. This has nothing to do with anything lacking the the frequency response bu rather just having fun and reproducing the feeling of a concert. And it's nice not having your ears ringing afterwards.

edit: Btw, I should be getting the vsonic gr09 next week and will see how it compares in the price range, as it is also supposed to be super forgiving and with great tonality (also a B+ ranking from crinacle). I kinda found the gr07 37th anniversary edition a bit too unexciting and laid back, but maybe the gr09 will be better - it is apparently an updated version of gr09

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #1,263 of 2,298
Nah, I meant that every now and then I like to blast my head off with metal goodness, so I crank up the volume and start air drumming. This has nothing to do with anything lacking the the frequency response bu rather just having fun and reproducing the feeling of a concert. And it's nice not having your ears ringing afterwards.

edit: Btw, I should be getting the vsonic gr09 next week and will see how it compares in the price range, as it is also supposed to be super forgiving and with great tonality (also a B+ ranking from crinacle). I kinda found the gr07 37th anniversary edition a bit too unexciting and laid back, but maybe the gr09 will be better - it is apparently an updated version of gr09

I thought your ears were left unharmed by not getting a boatload of hyper-treble.

Jan 25, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #1,264 of 2,298
Thanks, what iems do you find are good for metal?
From what I use, modded Blitzwolf is pretty good, but it still rings a bit at 5kHz.. after eq its amazing for the price :)
IT01 isn´t bad, but it is a slight V, so guitars or vocals are not as forward as I´d like them to be sometimes.
FH5 actually surprised me a lot here, I think it is the first iem I tried where I actually feel the benefit of more drivers as it has very good separation even in the busiest tracks.

Keep in mind this is my preference, as you can see for example kova4a enjoys n3 for metal, but I just need that snappy bass, I´m probably spoilt from full-size planars :D

edit: sorry for being off topic here, just wanted to help my fellow metalhead

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #1,265 of 2,298
From what I use, modded Blitzwolf is pretty good, but it still rings a bit at 5kHz.. after eq its amazing for the price :)
IT01 isn´t bad, but it is a slight V, so guitars or vocals are not as forward as I´d like them to be sometimes.
FH5 actually surprised me a lot here, I think it is the first iem I tried where I actually feel the benefit of more drivers as it has very good separation even in the busiest tracks.

Keep in mind this is my preference, as you can see for example kova4a enjoys n3 for metal, but I just need that snappy bass, I´m probably spoilt from full-size planars :D

edit: sorry for being off topic here, just wanted to help my fellow metalhead

Running them balanced seems to tighten things up in the low-end.

Jan 26, 2019 at 6:24 AM Post #1,266 of 2,298
Can someone compare the N3 with IE800s?

N3 really caught my attention when I had the chance to test it and I even liked it more than the original IE800 which was a disappointment.

But now I really like the new IE800s which fixed what I didn't like with the original.
However, given the price, I still find them lacking something in the bass texture for a TOTL, I also wanted a fuller sound and the lack of dynamics could lead to a boring/lean/dull sound sometimes.

So, from the memory, I have the feeling that N3 is still a better value for the money.

Feb 5, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #1,269 of 2,298
I think we just prefer different tonality :)
I tried stock silicones, widebore sony, symbios..
Bass is still thick and slow for me. For example, IT01 is also bassy, but being graphene, tjeir bass is really punchy and fast, while on N3 it is slow and shifted more towards midbass.

Do u know the difference between the XBA-N3AP and the XBA-N3?

Feb 5, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #1,270 of 2,298
This product is also known as XBA-N3AP, XBA-N3AP//Q E, XBA-N3BP, XBA-N3BP//Q E

Above from Sony, though one model has 3.5mm and one 4.4mm.

Feb 5, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #1,272 of 2,298
I believe XBA-N3 is the generic name for this model, followed by AP for the unit with a single-ended 3.5mm cable and BP for the one that comes with a balanced 4.4mm cable.

Edit: oh so it seems the N3 exists too according to @haoyuan above me, it was probably what you meant @ThatAFKNoob sorry!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back