1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread

First

Back
74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83
85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94
Next

Last
  1. aisalen
    Now that I am done with my desktop/HP setup. N3BP will surely be my next purchase to pair with my wm1a, been longing for this long time already :)

2. obsidyen
    Sony usually uses LCP drivers, maybe they can use the magnesium alloy driver of IER-Z1R in an N3-like IEM but I guess the price would then be considerably higher.

I believe the technicalities are excellent, the imaging is very good and detail is superb. However, the sound is on the rather lush side so don't expect a dry and lean sound. This is a romantic sounding technical IEM, very much like Audeze LCD series or a Sennheiser HD 650 used with a nice tube amp.

3. Lohb
    "This is a romantic sounding technical IEM, very much like Audeze LCD series"

Yep, its along the lines of the closed-back LCD2.

Redcarmoose likes this.
  4. dimmockg
    Is the bass on this a bit stronger/deeper than the final e4000?

5. gazzington
    I've gone round in circles with what iems to buy as a metal head. Think I might get these

6. dimmockg
    @gazzington I think we're both going round in circles haha

monsieurfromag3 likes this.
  7. gazzington
    It's impossible this!

8. Redcarmoose
    That’s kinda a hard question as they are fairly technical for the price, but they are different too. :)

They have the Sony sound. The bass is fairly pronounced in comparison to something that’s neutral. But it’s also fairly resolving for what it is. It’s maybe a little of a sleeper in that you need to spend a day or two before the magic happens. It’s just different than many IEMs. Still an incredible coherence is something truly special here. Meaning it doesn’t really leave anything out and comes off fairly well-rounded in the end, if you can believe that? It’s slightly slow which is in contrast to many full BA offerings. Where some may find fault in the bass, and others are going to focus in and fall in love with the bass.

Someone was comparing the tone to the $1600 Noble K10 (Massdrop Model $899) (a couple posts back) and saying it’s better? I think it’s maybe apples and oranges. Never heard the K-10 but I have spent more than a year with the tweeked version of the K-10 the K-10 Encore. It’s just two completely different takes on what an IEM could sound like. They are approaching music from two completely different directions, and it just depends on personal taste. The Encore is more midcentric missing the warm fluid bass response of the N3. It’s replacement sound is faster and more technically advanced. Still it’s $1850, so you would think it may be?

I’m getting slightly paranoid about the N3 included cable. Meaning I’ve taken the cable off and tried it with other IEMs. If anything it seems Sony was maybe trying to get attenuated bass with the included cable. At least that is what my tests make me believe. I have a feeling too, that the N3 included cable could be a bottleneck to where the N3 could go. I have plans on getting the N3 a new cable and will report back.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  9. Redcarmoose
    It’s a special grouping. IMO

10. HerrXRDS
    Without a doubt. I compared the bass on these two a few pages back. If you think the bass on E4000 is not enough, I think these will satisfy you.

11. Redcarmoose
  12. dimmockg
    Thanks, I thought the bass on the final e4000 was a little to much, so I'll pass on these I reckon

13. rendyG
    I agree with Redcarmoose that these are special, but I don't think these are good for metal. I listen to rock/metal a lot and I think the bass of these is just too thick and slow. Of course it is personal preference, but I mean I don't use neutral iems on the go, bass boost is welcome on the bus.. but now I am more satisfied with FH5. They are also bass boosted, but their bass is so much faster and more textured..
    Don't get me wrong, N3 is awesome, I've never heard such clean and precise treble in iem:) But the bass was just a no go for me.

14. gazzington
    Thanks, what iems do you find are good for metal?

15. kova4a
    I personally like it for metal. Yeah, as said before, I also would have liked a bit tighter and snappier low end, but given the price and the other pros, the n3 is pretty good. I also like how forgiving it is as with metal it is easier to get carried away (at least for me) with the volume settings and the n3 saves me from the ringing in the ears and temporary (I hope so) reduction in hearing afterwards.

First

Back
74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83
85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94
Next

Last