Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
May 24, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #331 of 2,298
So these would be purely for mobile use (Huawei P10), not keen on carrying an external amp (tried that). best would be to find a spot to try these,or order online with a return policy.

In that case, go find and try the N3, they are easy to drive. I went away from phone to a Sony NW-A35 player since I start buying Hi-Res music (24bit 48/96 and DSDs) which have about twice the power of my iPhone 6+ (needed for my Z5)

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #332 of 2,298
Triple Comfort tips seems to make the sound airier and tighten the bass. I'm not sure which I prefer. That said Triple Comfort is the way to go for a more reference sound. In terms of comfort, Triple Comfort is much better. Where can I buy more of these tips? :)

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #334 of 2,298
Triple Comfort tips seems to make the sound airier and decrease the bass a bit. I'm not sure which I prefer. That said Triple Comfort is the way to go for a more reference sound. In terms of comfort, Triple Comfort is much better. Where can I buy more of these tips? :)

Ebay if you live outside of Japan. Or sign up for a service like "Buyee" which would buy stuff in Japan and mail them to you (they even have a handy browser extension so you can just add stuff from Amazon Japan into their cart).

The cost for a 2 pair pack from ebay is $24.32 free shipping. I got 2 packs (4 pair) using "Buyee" for $27.12 shipped. Comply T-200 series and SpinFit CP100 series tips also works well.

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #337 of 2,298
can i ask how n3ap compares to sony xba z5

The Z5 is superior (by a noticeable margin) except in 3 area. Bulk, bass tempo (the N3 with a 9mm driver have faster response than the 16mm of the Z5) and the need for power (the Z5's 16mm driver will sound muddy and slow if not driven by something with at least 30mW peak power, my Sony NW-A35 at 35mW/ch does ok but they can certainly use something with a bit more) .

If you're using a phone and have no plan on using a separate DAC/AMP or have your music on a mid to high range dedicated player. You can forget about the Z5. However, a pair of properly driven Z5. Probably have the most airy and biggest soundstage you'll find in any IEM. The bass is tight and goes much lower. The mid does not have the usual BA cold/sharpness that can be tiresome in long listening sessions. I would say that vocal (especially female ones) while not exactly warm, is not cold like you'll hear in most BA mids. Now if you're willing to invest in the equipments to drive the Z5 in Balanced mode, they will easily rival the sound quality of something that cost much more.

Last edited:
May 25, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #338 of 2,298
Triple Comfort tips are very comfortable, much better than my previous favourite, Spiral Dots. They tighten the bass of N3AP.

N3AP's LCP driver bass is indeed very fast like Wiz33 said.

May 25, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #339 of 2,298
I own the XBA-A3 and the XBA-A1, and while they sound amazing they both are not so comfortable at all and don't offer a good noise seal, so i'm considering the XBA-N3AP, does it has a better ergonomic?

May 25, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #340 of 2,298
I own the XBA-A3 and the XBA-A1, and while they sound amazing they both are not so comfortable at all and don't offer a good noise seal, so i'm considering the XBA-N3AP, does it has a better ergonomic?

The n3 with the included triple comfort tips are the most comfortable iems I have ever tried to date.

May 25, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #341 of 2,298

It's very comfortable and light.

May 25, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #342 of 2,298

They are not noise cancelling so they are pretty much all the same as far as isolation goes. Different ear tip can offer better isolation. I've found 3 different tips that works well for me,

Comply isolation is probably the best for seal but needs to be fiddled with to get seated correctly. Very comfortable for extended use. I used to use this at the office with my A3.

SpinFit is the easiest to use since they can spin and tilt, all you do is put them in and they will tilt correctly on their own and they do not need to go deep but they have almost no isolation. I would only use them in a quiet environment.

Triple comfort is in between both, better isolation than the SpinFit and easier to seat properly than the Comply.

I ended up getting a bunch of Triple Comfort from Japan for use on all my XBAs (20, 30, N3, A3, Z5)

The N3 is definitely easier to wear but I have no problem with the A3/Z5. The only thing that I don't like on the A3/Z5 is the bulk when you're out and about, That's why I use the N3 on the go. They can also be driven with less power compared to the A3/Z5 which means longer battery life using them with a MUC-M2BT1 . I have no problem wearing the A3/Z5 over the ear with the stock cable (except for cable noise when you move around) I have since switched to using the MUC-M12SM2 upgrade cable over the ear on my Z5, They have almost no cable noise at all and can be used comfortably for extending period.

Last edited:
May 25, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #343 of 2,298
The shop was closing down so I couldnt try the n3, I will tomorrow though.

I tried the n1 with my moto x play and neutron and I really liked it. There is a slight V shape but still somehow sounds neutral and natural, good soundstage too .

I like the sealing I get with these earphones and they also feel comfortable and seem like they wont fall easily . The sealing is different to other IEMs, goes deep and seals very good.

Compared to fidelio s2, it has a wider soundstage and the BA driver is much better than the dynamic driver at extending the highs. I think fidelio s2 uses a 13.5mm dynamic driver. Sony N1 sounds thinner but in a clearer rathen than anemic way, it feels part of mids are recessed. I think of s2 as a very airy and neutral and natural sounding IEM. Sony sounds more V shape but still somehow has a bit of flat character ( iknow that sounds a bit weird) if you dont pay attention to the sub and midbass. I would like to test some acoustic guitars and other acoustic instruments with the N1 to get a better idea though. I did feel though the N1 sounded darker for sure compared to the fidelio s2. The N1 is not a dream to drive with the opamp of the moto x play but I could still EQ the subbass to basshead levels ( I have yamaha pro 500 and had xb90ex so I know about basshead phones ). As is the s2, both of them felt about the same hard to drive but the N1 did deliver more bass for sure, so slighter more efficient earphone the N1 is .

Compared to xb90ex, the overall sound is much clearer. The soundstage larger, the mids and highs are not as in your face as in xb90ex. Yes it doesn't have the subbass of xb90ex ( 16mm dynamic driver ) out of the box and I found they are about the same easy to drive ( although I have lost xb90ex one year ago ). BUT the bass can be EQ to xb90ex massive levels and still remain clear. The type of rumble is different ( xb90ex is more of a DOINK DOINK subbass like string still reasonating/slow decay?. The N1 has clearer and more DWOp DWOp subbass. Im greek so I dont know how to use the english language to describe it better. It feels as if the xb90ex bass is late/slow while N1 responses faster. The difference would be something like an old used big kick drum to a fresh new smaller kick drum, if you are a drummer you will understand I think. That said the xb90ex is again bad compared with the upper mids and highs. No EQ can fix a grainy/bad phone, you can just eq down it to make it less aparent. The xb90ex just cant reproduce the mids and highs as natural and airy as the N1.

Also I have to say that without EQ I wasnt a huge fan, they sounded a bit thin/no energy but very natural but with a sony signature if that makes sense. I do feel they are upgrade to fidelio s2 or xb90ex

Cant wait to try the n3 tomorrow :)

Cheers

Last edited:
May 25, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #344 of 2,298
Quoting mer "I like the sealing I get with these earphones and they also feel comfortable and seem like they wont fall easily . The sealing is different to other IEMs, goes deep and seals very good."

These are the first IEMs in a long time that I've worn down the way, they sit excellently and don't start to lose the seal easily.

Though the low-end is great on the XB series, I also found the mids/treble...dry/grainy.
The richer tonality on N1 is closer to the original LZ-A2 hybrid which I loved at the time.

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #345 of 2,298
Everyone has already said it, :wink: but just to add - yeah the N3 was advertised as the most comfortable high-res earphones and it's true. I also have the A1, which still sound good (slight treble veil, bit undefined bass, but still better than many of the competition) and still use them, but the larger housing can get tiresome. The A2 lasted a week with me, just way too uncomfortable. :frowning2:
But I love the Sony noise isolation tips from the A series, I use them on the N3 with great results, excellent sound and decent isolation. Unfortunately I have trouble getting a good seal with the triple comfort, which is a shame because I love the concept and foam in general.
I don't know where Sony will go next in their design, I don't see them going back to the USB stick style because the N series is so comfortable and practical. A new Z5 replacement in a compact style will definitely go on my "must have" list.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back