Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Dec 7, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #2,267 of 2,298
yes you are probably right but too late now :) and the "cheaper" versions would still cost almost half of the final version with free shipping to europe that would probably take months..

In the meantime your fingernails will probably grow long enough to DIY.

IIRC the outer black part of the N3 cable's MMCX connector is actually kind of a soft rubberized layer that isn't fixed and covers a bit of a gap, even though if it looks tightly fit. Though I haven't swapped the cable out on my N3 in years, so might be mistaken (but I did happen to be using the original N3 cable with another IEM recently).

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #2,268 of 2,298
They are making lower models/"successors" to N3 but unfortunately all wireless..this seems where the world is going for now. I got into a bar fight and unfortunately the cables of my N3 got ripped apart in the process-eagerly awaiting replacement cables to use them as my daily drivers again. The combination of their amazing SQ,driveability,comfort and Isolation make them my first choice though I have to say that the mh 750 come remarkably close with less comfort,much less isolation and not as great driveability. But SQ can be stellar on the mh750 too and they can be used as a headset.. Sometimes I even prefer the mh 750 because of their more reserved,polite bass department though technicalities are much lower compared to N3..(I leave bass eq always at 3 with mh750 whereas I often have to go down to 0 or 1 with N3 to have the same amount of bass output.On the other hand the n3 really shines with an amazingly relaxed upper register with 0 sibliance issues so I can up the 2.5-16Khz eq region compared to mh750..)
They do? where? I have not seen an single wireless XBA Model.

Even the WF-1000XM5 just uses an average plastic membrane and is an single driver design

Dec 8, 2023 at 6:23 AM Post #2,270 of 2,298
They do? where? I have not seen an single wireless XBA Model.

Even the WF-1000XM5 just uses an average plastic membrane and is an single driver design
Sorry my bad, I m so uninterested in wireless that I even dont really know anything about their wireless lineup. I just took it the wireless models are at least meant to serve somewhat the same audience since some are in the same price bracket as the n3 once was.. I was not implying the wireless models can hold a can of water in terms of sq to the n3..

Dec 10, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #2,271 of 2,298
To all N3 owners, just curious what EQ custom settings you are using for your DAP?
And for what purpose are you using the EQ settings for? controlling Bass, timbre, etc?

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #2,272 of 2,298
I haven't heard a ChiFi hybrid yet that didn't suffer from significant coherency issues, I don't expect the P5 to do much better. Maybe take a look at the QKZ HBB as a cheap N3 alternative.

Of all the IEMs I own, the Final E5000 is the closest to the N3, using wide bore tips (Radius Deep Mount in my case).

It is still a bit darker, but is surprisingly better at detail retrieval. The N3 with silicone tips has a slight metallic timbre in some tracks. With foams or those triple comfort tips, it's just amazing.
yes the e5000 sounded very good to my ears as well for the brief time I had it BUT its not really a portable option for me since it needs way too much power.. This is one of the very special aspects about the n3 that it combines such an amazing sound with very low power requirements!

Dec 14, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #2,273 of 2,298
To all N3 owners, just curious what EQ custom settings you are using for your DAP?
And for what purpose are you using the EQ settings for? controlling Bass, timbre, etc?
with n3 I often leave the bass eq at 0 or 1 to have the perfect amount of bass compared to 3 on the mh750.I generally am treble sensitive so I always reduce higher frequencies. the xba 4 for example was unbearable for me without eq adjustments of the treble, ex500 as well.once the treble was solved those sounded very good though:)

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 4:54 AM Post #2,274 of 2,298
yes the e5000 sounded very good to my ears as well for the brief time I had it BUT its not really a portable option for me since it needs way too much power
Another drawback of the E5000 while on the go is the sound leakage and how poorly it isolates.

Dec 14, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #2,276 of 2,298
with n3 I often leave the bass eq at 0 or 1 to have the perfect amount of bass compared to 3 on the mh750.I generally am treble sensitive so I always reduce higher frequencies. the xba 4 for example was unbearable for me without eq adjustments of the treble, ex500 as well.once the treble was solved those sounded very good though:)
For me, if its a female singer with pretty high pitched voice, it gets way too annoying to my ears. Im trying to figure out which EQ settings i need to tone down. N3 makes it much worse. Not sure if this the same definition as timbre. Not an audiophile.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #2,277 of 2,298
For me, if its a female singer with pretty high pitched voice, it gets way too annoying to my ears. Im trying to figure out which EQ settings i need to tone down. N3 makes it much worse. Not sure if this the same definition as timbre. Not an audiophile.
Sounds like a library issue 😎

Dec 17, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #2,279 of 2,298
To all N3 users not on stock cables:
Is there any issue with the gap in between the connection? I noticed there is a milimeter of a gap that is not present with the stock cables.. So I m just curious if e.g. unplaned cable pulls might lead to problems with the mmcx port of the N3.. Any LONG TERM experiences with "gappy" non-stock cables?

Dec 18, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #2,280 of 2,298
To all N3 users not on stock cables:
Is there any issue with the gap in between the connection? I noticed there is a milimeter of a gap that is not present with the stock cables.. So I m just curious if e.g. unplaned cable pulls might lead to problems with the mmcx port of the N3.. Any LONG TERM experiences with "gappy" non-stock cables?
Got my N3 for more than a year, maybe close to two. I changed the cable to a 3rd party one almost immediately after buying, and haven't got any issues so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back