Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Sep 12, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #2,236 of 2,318
It hurts just thinking about it... i know exactly what you mean^^

The XBA-40 was an absolute masterpiece way ahead of its time and it was a shame that Sony released them without foam back then and it is still a shame that Sony learned nothing...

But if you want an all-around improved XBA-40 on steroids, thats the IER-M7. and if you want an better version of that, thats the IER-M9. The M9 is insanely close to perfection. So if you miss your XBA-40 and you're thinking "Can i get that, just in better", there you go^^ and dont forget a pair of COMPLY T-200
Yes you are absolutely right, really great iem!! I actually burned through 5 or 6 of them (including XBA 4) thanks to its fixed (and prone to break) cable.. I was pretty close on the hinge with the m7/m9. I would love to have both but they are not that easy to come by here in Europe. And the n3 can be a (depending on the music) a perfect sounding iem that is really good for portable use (easy to drive well,isolation,comfort level)

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #2,237 of 2,318
IDK current state of IEMs well but I don't think ported BA IEMs are too unusual (at hand have my q-jays for example) also AFAIK fairly common for CIEM designs to offer an optional ambient port.
the BA driver itself might be vented (like the Sonion 38D1XJ007Mi/8a) but the iem shell itself is not. Or might have minimal venting just for the driver itself but wont do much to prevent/reduce pressure build up.

As for the ciem thing, I was mainly referring to the size/shape of the shell than the venting on them.

Sep 13, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #2,238 of 2,318
I own some IEM & TWS for far more than 10 years now, I usually kept them all if hey were not returned within 2 weeks.. these last 5 years, I was mostly playing with some :
-> Sony's IER-Z1R, IER-M9, XBA-N3, MH755
-> Sennheiser's IE900 IE600
-> Beyerdynamic's Xelento Gen 1
-> Vision Ears EXT
-> JVC's HA-FW1800
-> some chinese iems like Tangzu Zetian WU & Princess Chang Le, Kiwi Ears Quintet,
-> some other ...
-> and many TWS like B&0 E8v2, Apple Airpods Pro 2, Cambrige Melomania 1, JVC&Victor HA-FW1000T, Galaxy Buds Live & Buds2 pro, Sony FW-1000XM5, Technics AZ80, Jabra Elite 7 pro, Liberty 4, Sleep A10, .. and some others

What is strange, is that, after so many years and attempts, in 2023 my personal podium for most portable, comfortable and best sound quality IEM & TWS combo is on this picture...

20230727_152028 copie HD.jpg

1) The best sound quality is the IER-M9 with IER-Z1R silicon tips connected to a WM1A (Nayparm moded), but almost as good with the FIIO BTR7 (unfortunately too short battery playing time in LDAC mode for long 24 hours+ overseas trips).. if the IER-Z1R was some more comfortable in the ears, it would be on the podium instead the M9 for offering really convincing lows (for mid-high and high frequencies the M9 is for me an absolute reference, probably boring for many, but quite accurate for me with cymbals and other instruments)..

2) The XBA-N3, with 1000XM5 foam tips, is not so far the M9 for Sound Quality and it is quite convenient when plugged to the iFi Go Pod.. I really enjoy it a lot for office time... I would recommend any-time this, as a rather affordable, really fun with a very good sound quality portable combo... N3 are clearly a bit weaker than M9 for high frequencies (as if some details were missing).

3) The most convenient combo 24h/day 7days/week, with still a decent sound quality, is the 1000XM5 with some silicon Tips (I forgot from which brand I took these), though sound quality is rather significantly behind M9 and N3 set in BT LDAC mode !!!
With such decent ANC, I think I will use the 1000XM5 now for all my trips when planes, trains, metro and street are evolved (instead my 2 loved HA-FW1000T)..

NB : I usually use with all my IEM and TWS some PEQ (Android's PowerAmpEQ) with a rather similar frequency response target as RikudouGoku's target ... I would say at least a harman target with some ultra lows boost (20 to 60hz) and high frequencies boost (8kz to 12kz)

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #2,240 of 2,318
2) The XBA-N3, with 1000XM5 foam tips, is not so far the M9 for Sound Quality and it is quite convenient when plugged to the iFi Go Blu.. I really enjoy it a lot for office time... I would recommend any-time this, as a rather affordable, really fun with a very good sound quality portable combo... N3 a clearly a bit weaker than M9 for high frequencies (as if some details were missing).
So are you saying, that the n3 is not that far away in terms of sq to m9?? i heard this before here and it sparked quite a debate..

Why are you using foam tips with n3? Is there a sq difference to the stock standard silicone tips?
(for me the triple comfort tips were not an ideal option because they kept getting loose fit.The Silicon/foam "noise cancelling" tips that came with the XBA 40 were just horrible. For me the Sony stock silicon tips are the best so far in terms of sealing, secure fit and comfort but I have not experimented that much..)

Sep 13, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #2,241 of 2,318
So are you saying, that the n3 is not that far away in terms of sq to m9?? i heard this before here and it sparked quite a debate..

Why are you using foam tips with n3? Is there a sq difference to the stock standard silicone tips?
(for me the triple comfort tips were not an ideal option because they kept getting loose fit.The Silicon/foam "noise cancelling" tips that came with the XBA 40 were just horrible. For me the Sony stock silicon tips are the best so far in terms of sealing, secure fit and comfort but I have not experimented that much..)

With the N3, for two months no, I prefer to use the Foam tips from the 1000XM5 which offers a very good sound quality with a good comfort when used with the N3 (IE600/900 foam tips are a bit behind sony's)..
Strangely, I think these foam tips are not good for me with the 1000XM5, I get better results with some silicon tips from another model or brand (1 own more than 100 different ear tips foam or silicon in medium and large size) ..

Sep 13, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #2,242 of 2,318
With the N3, for two months no, I prefer to use the Foam tips from the 1000XM5 which offers a very good sound quality with a good comfort when used with the N3 (IE600/900 foam tips are a bit behind sony's)..
Strangely, I think these foam tips are not good for me with the 1000XM5, I get better results with some silicon tips from another model or brand (1 own more than 100 different ear tips foam or silicon in medium and large size) ..
So the foam tips from 1000xm5 stay fit the same as stock sony silicon tips?(I think one advantage of the pure silicon tips is that they are really flexible and soft and adjust really well to ear shape)

what exactly is different between silicon and foam tips in terms of n3 soundquality (regarding overall presentation,bass, treble)?

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #2,243 of 2,318
Sep 13, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #2,244 of 2,318
So the foam tips from 1000xm5 stay fit the same as stock sony silicon tips?(I think one advantage of the pure silicon tips is that they are really flexible and soft and adjust really well to ear shape)

what exactly is different between silicon and foam tips in terms of n3 soundquality (regarding overall presentation,bass, treble)?
For comfort, as I use IEM & TWS for hours every day and even whole nights, the advantage of foam tips is that it fits much better the ear canal without hurting at all after hours (any silicon tips are less comfortable in my case, even ultra soft tips like Spinfit CP360/1025 & Azla Sedna Max ) and it has also usually a better passive noise cancellation..

Concerning sound quality, .. with 1000XM5, I get deeper and cleaner lows with silicon tips than foam tips.. For XBA-N3 sound quality is on par for me between silicon and foam (so comfort makes the foam tips preferable for me)..

In short.. assuming, I can get a perfect seal with some tips, I would say Foam or Silicon are :
-> almost on par for sound quality ... though ultra low can maybe be better with foam (it seems Sony is recommending foam more than silicon for SQ)
-> with a significant advantage concerning comfort for using 8/10 hours or even more with foam (it NEVER hurts like silicon can do)
-> usually with a better passive noise cancellation for foam than ultra thin silicon tips

Sep 13, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #2,245 of 2,318
They are the EP-EX11/10 afaik.

EP-NI1010
I think, if I am not wrong, I took all my tips from my Sony's IER-Z1R and 1000XM5 boxes.. I will confirm this later.
I just ordered as it is almost available in Japan now, some new Sony EP-N1010 to use them too with some Kiwi Ears Quintet (as it is not bad at all with them too.)

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #2,247 of 2,318
Pretty sure the EP-NI1010 are darker than the EP-NI1000 due to the filter.

Sep 13, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #2,248 of 2,318
For comfort, as I use IEM & TWS for hours every day and even whole nights, the advantage of foam tips is that it fits much better the ear canal without hurting at all after hours (any silicon tips are less comfortable in my case, even ultra soft tips like Spinfit CP360/1025 & Azla Sedna Max ) and it has also usually a better passive noise cancellation..

Concerning sound quality, .. with 1000XM5, I get deeper and cleaner lows with silicon tips than foam tips.. For XBA-N3 sound quality is on par for me between silicon and foam (so comfort makes the foam tips preferable for me)..

In short.. assuming, I can get a perfect seal with some tips, I would say Foam or Silicon are :
-> almost on par for sound quality ... though ultra low can maybe be better with foam (it seems Sony is recommending foam more than silicon for SQ)
-> with a significant advantage concerning comfort for using 8/10 hours or even more with foam (it NEVER hurts like silicon can do)
-> usually with a better passive noise cancellation for foam than ultra thin silicon tips
wow that sound strange that foam vs silicon effect sq differently for different iems..
regarding long term comfort, i m oftentimes listening for 6-7hrs non stop and I never had any comfort issues with sony stock silicon tips. so with the foam tips i should be fine for days then :) maybe a personal thing, i have to compare foam vs silicon with n3 myself!

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #2,249 of 2,318
Pretty sure the EP-NI1010 are darker than the EP-NI1000 due to the filter.
It is hard to say since the foam is also much thinner. And the filters acoustic resistance is probably minimal.

1694629021354.png

Sep 13, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #2,250 of 2,318
It is hard to say since the foam is also much thinner. And the filters acoustic resistance is probably minimal.

1694629021354.png
Hmm interesting. I’ll give them a go eventually. I mostly stick to EP-NI1000 on closed IEMs and EP-TC50 everywhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back