Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Sep 14, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #2,251 of 2,314
I put this picture, just because I am playing at office this morning with my Samsung Z Fold 5 (Qobuz) connected to the iFi Go Pod in LDAC mode, the tiny Sony XBA-N3 and the comfortable foam EP-1010 tips while switching with PowerampEQ between "no" EQ at all, Harman 2019V2 PEQ and RikudouGoKu's autoEQ PEQ .. while, I am trying the new Photo Expert mode of the Z Fold 5 with some 50MP raw files (85Mb) with PSCC2023...
I would think that my life is not that bad at all :L3000: :beerchug:

20230914_084046 copie.jpg

Sep 14, 2023 at 4:12 AM Post #2,252 of 2,314
Hmm interesting. I’ll give them a go eventually. I mostly stick to EP-NI1000 on closed IEMs and EP-TC50 everywhere else.
I tested the EP-NI1010 but i wasn't satisfied. They further decrease the isolation and increase the body resonance.

I can totally understand why Sony designed them that way, but for the IER-M9 i think its the rather worse product. Not because its the worse product, they are just even less designed to be used with something else than the WF-1000XM5

Sep 14, 2023 at 7:02 AM Post #2,253 of 2,314
1694688967192.jpeg

Vent on N3. Many will prefer Silicones, many will prefer Foams. Miriads of different people who prefer different things. If for you there is a pressure you do not like, use foams or some other that suits you. Those who prefer silicone...enjoy. Tonally a great IEM that I still enjoy tremendously.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 8:18 AM Post #2,254 of 2,314
Just a short aside about the Sony XBA-N3. It is one of the few IEMs I have that sound good on my mobile phones (Xiaomi and Sony). Partly through driveability and partly because the bass unusually stands up to being driven by a phone.

Oct 2, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #2,257 of 2,314
It works for Shure, Westone and others, why not for Sony?

If people ask me what they should get in the price range of the XBA-N3, i recommend them the Westone Pro X20 or X30.

If there would be an IER-M5, i would recommend that, but that doesn't exist. Sony makes a _lot_ of income with their audio products, the IER-M9 is often sold with 33% off and they still make money with it. I have absolutely no doubt, they could do an business case with an model in that price range

Oct 2, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #2,258 of 2,314
It works for Shure, Westone and others, why not for Sony?

If people ask me what they should get in the price range of the XBA-N3, i recommend them the Westone Pro X20 or X30.

If there would be an IER-M5, i would recommend that, but that doesn't exist. Sony makes a _lot_ of income with their audio products, the IER-M9 is often sold with 33% off and they still make money with it. I have absolutely no doubt, they could do an business case with an model in that price range
Sony is massive, audiophile market is a tiny portion of their income, i don't think they want to make lower models anymore. If they were to release new stuff, it would be something that raises the bar like the M9 and Z1R.

Dec 5, 2023 at 4:52 AM Post #2,259 of 2,314
Sony is massive, audiophile market is a tiny portion of their income, i don't think they want to make lower models anymore. If they were to release new stuff, it would be something that raises the bar like the M9 and Z1R.
They are making lower models/"successors" to N3 but unfortunately all wireless..this seems where the world is going for now. I got into a bar fight and unfortunately the cables of my N3 got ripped apart in the process-eagerly awaiting replacement cables to use them as my daily drivers again. The combination of their amazing SQ,driveability,comfort and Isolation make them my first choice though I have to say that the mh 750 come remarkably close with less comfort,much less isolation and not as great driveability. But SQ can be stellar on the mh750 too and they can be used as a headset.. Sometimes I even prefer the mh 750 because of their more reserved,polite bass department though technicalities are much lower compared to N3..(I leave bass eq always at 3 with mh750 whereas I often have to go down to 0 or 1 with N3 to have the same amount of bass output.On the other hand the n3 really shines with an amazingly relaxed upper register with 0 sibliance issues so I can up the 2.5-16Khz eq region compared to mh750..)

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 5:12 AM Post #2,260 of 2,314
Has anyone here used the final mmcx tool for the n3? does it work here as intended or is it only helpful with the final e5000? I m asking because the original mmcx cable of the n3 is fitted very tightly with close to no gap.. dont want to part with that precious mmcx connection :)

Dec 6, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #2,261 of 2,314
Has anyone here used the final mmcx tool for the n3? does it work here as intended or is it only helpful with the final e5000? I m asking because the original mmcx cable of the n3 is fitted very tightly with close to no gap.. dont want to part with that precious mmcx connection :)
I've used the tool for the N3. No issues.

Dec 6, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #2,263 of 2,314
Dec 7, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #2,265 of 2,314
I dont fancy aliexpress cheap stuff, just ordered the official final tool and hope it will be here in time with the replacement cables, thanks for the suggestion anyways
They are both near identical. The Final Audio version is massively overpriced for what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back