Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Dec 18, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #2,281 of 2,298
To all N3 users not on stock cables:
Is there any issue with the gap in between the connection? I noticed there is a milimeter of a gap that is not present with the stock cables.. So I m just curious if e.g. unplaned cable pulls might lead to problems with the mmcx port of the N3.. Any LONG TERM experiences with "gappy" non-stock cables?

The only disconnection problems I've had actually were with the stock cable. I used it with a Final and Linum one, no issues at all.

Dec 18, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #2,282 of 2,298
No issues for me either. The stock N3 cable is atrocious btw.

Which is funny considering how good the IER cables are.

Dec 18, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #2,283 of 2,298
I recently bought the Sennheiser IE600 and have been listening to it for a few days. Compared to the N3, the IE600 has better sense of details and imaging but is somehow less engaging. The IE600's bass does not hit as hard and the vocals are more distant. This makes me realize how special the N3 is and I don't know of any IEM at the same price range (~$USD 300) that has the same features as the N3. Increasing the price higher then there might be the Symphonium Meteor, which sounds very similar to the N3.

Dec 18, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #2,287 of 2,298
I recently bought the Sennheiser IE600 and have been listening to it for a few days. Compared to the N3, the IE600 has better sense of details and imaging but is somehow less engaging. The IE600's bass does not hit as hard and the vocals are more distant. This makes me realize how special the N3 is and I don't know of any IEM at the same price range (~$USD 300) that has the same features as the N3. Increasing the price higher then there might be the Symphonium Meteor, which sounds very similar to the N3.
I cant compare to a higher resolving iem exept maybe ex800st but I fully agree that the complete package of N3 is just fantastic!

Dec 18, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #2,288 of 2,298
The only disconnection problems I've had actually were with the stock cable. I used it with a Final and Linum one, no issues at all.
for the disconnection of the stock cable I will use the final tool and hope everthing goes as planed here. My question was more in regard to the long-term durability of the connection itself (once the non-stock cable is successfully attached) Since there is a milimeter gap with pretty much all non-stock cables I figured the connection might be more fragile and prone to breaking.. On the other hand the stock cable surrounds the mmcx port of N3 just with (pretty hard) rubber material so this might not add a lot of sideway stability anyways..
The Stock cable actually comes with a sticker warning of removing the mmcx port sideways and exactly this scenario seems more likely (eg due to accidental sideway cable pulls) with the milimeter gap outside the immediate mmcx connection..
Because the non stock cables look pretty much like the graphic on the left when fully attached lol

Attachments

• 111.JPG
    111.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #2,290 of 2,298
No complaints with a different cable here either. I didn't really try the stock cable, just swapped it out straight away. I can't remember what cable I specifically bought, but it's a balanced cable. @RikudouGoku recommended me it around 2 years ago I think, so he will probably know as I got the same one as him.
Dont remember. But possibly one of these.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000400771561.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001514590570.html

Dec 19, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #2,292 of 2,298
Could potentially be the 2nd one but the link directs me to the aliexpress home page. Anyways, it's silver so not the top one.
Head-fi screws up ali links sometimes....just copy the ID "1005001514590570" and paste it into the url manually.

Dec 20, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #2,295 of 2,298
And you are a happy long term user? Is there a gap with this cable aswell? It seems like there is actually no other cable besides the stock cable that fits the mmcx socket of the N3 perfect?
Alarmed by some mmcx horror stories I m probably overthinking the whole thing..

I would need to check and see if there is a gap but I have had zero issues with this cable, it's absolutely fine 👍🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back