Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Jun 27, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #2,146 of 2,318
I learnt this the hard way, budget gear is good for dabbling with the various sound signatures to see what you like or dislike. As you say, every week, more IEMs are released, but maybe 70ish% are forgotten after a few weeks.

But once you know what you want, it might be wise to just upgrade to midFI or TOTL and call it a day. Multiple sidegrades eg budget and lowish midFI sets, will add up to a TOTL set one day, and most of these end up in the drawer instead of in the ears. Between midFI and TOTL, the difference is maybe 10 - 30%, but you pay 10 times more for that small improvement, as per diminishing returns in this hobby. So sweet spot is still at the midFI region.

Since you are looking for something resolving, I quite like the QDC Anole VX, it is bloody expensive though. It has multiple tuning options too, but it has BA timbre (10 BA set), so even TOTL models have weaknesses. For a single DD that is very resolving, the most technical one I tried is the Final Audio A8000, but it is a bit hot in the 5 - 6 kHz regions, so it can be fatiguing. Since we are in the Sony thread, the IER M9 is my current end game IEM, pure BA set but very natural sounding, warm neutral, excellent imaging and mids. I bought my M9 second hand at $495 USD, there are quite a number for sale on second hand forums, and even though it is around 4 years old, I think the M9 is still competitive against some modern day TOTL models.

If u are not particular about second hand iems, there are some TOTL ones u can snag at half price or so.
the m9 is really the set I would like to take, but I can't find them in europe, and don't want to pay crazy import fees...

Jun 27, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #2,147 of 2,318
the m9 is really the set I would like to take, but I can't find them in europe, and don't want to pay crazy import fees...
They never have been released in europe, so you can't buy them here.

But importing from japan is insanely cheap, so if you buy them from japan, even with all fees, they are cheaper than if they would have ever been released in europe in the first place

Example

In the US they have an MSRP of 1500$ and in Japan they have an MSRP of 1500百円. So if they would have been released in Europe, for sure they would have cost 1500€

If you import them from e-earphone right now, you pay roughly 1250€, so its way cheaper than if they would been available in europe in the first place. So no crazy import fees, this is just what they cost, its not an cheap IEM.

If you buy them used (like new, no signs of wear) you pay roughly 800€. That is as cheap as it gets, i think this is the lowest price for a like new set ever in the history of the IER-M9 (including all import fees).

So thank to the current yen value, you can import as cheap as never before.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #2,148 of 2,318
They never have been released in europe, so you can't buy them here.

But importing from japan is insanely cheap, so if you buy them from japan, even with all fees, they are cheaper than if they would have ever been released in europe in the first place

Example

In the US they have an MSRP of 1500$ and in Japan they have an MSRP of 1500百円. So if they would have been released in Europe, for sure they would have cost 1500€

If you import them from e-earphone right now, you pay roughly 1250€, so its way cheaper than if they would been available in europe in the first place. So no crazy import fees, this is just what they cost, its not an cheap IEM.

If you buy them used (like new, no signs of wear) you pay roughly 800€. That is as cheap as it gets, i think this is the lowest price for a like new set ever in the history of the IER-M9 (including all import fees).

So thank to the current yen value, you can import as cheap as never before.
thanks for the tip, I'll check that site, in your opinion are there any other iems with a similiar sonical signature?

Jun 28, 2022 at 5:37 AM Post #2,149 of 2,318
thanks for the tip, I'll check that site, in your opinion are there any other iems with a similiar sonical signature?
e-earphone is also supported by buyee, so you can (for a small fee) pay a company called Tenso to buy it for you. If you don't want to go through the hassle of doing it yourself. Just add the Browser Plugin and if you add the product to your cart, the Buyee plugin will add it to your Buyee Cart and then it can takeover the whole process for you.

e-earphone is Japans biggest Earphone store and official/certified Sony Reseller and, as far as i know, the biggest Sony Audio Partner too. You can get replacement parts and other stuff there too.

But it still is importing from a different country. No returns/refunds(!). In case of damage, you have to send it back to Japan at your own expenses and so on.

If you don't speak japanese, you might refrain from shopping in Japan because the staff at e-earphone does not speak English and does not reply to any non-japanese message. That means if you have any issues with the IER-M9, you have to communicate with them in japanese.

I have not heard of people who have issues with their IER-M9 yet and mine works perfectly fine too, but you should be aware about that.

Similar sonical signature in an all BA? That is a tough question.

The IER-M9 sounds unique because it doesn't use air ducts, no sound pipes and an unique cross-over gateway that uses multiple drivers at once with their in-house developed film capacitors and an physical LPF on the woofer.

Something like that doesn't exist a second time and something that gets close to it neither. So its technical aspects are unique, but there are all BA IEM that have an excellent sound and share similar tuning characteristics.

The best example is the FiiO FA9 (which sells for 350€ right now which is insanely cheap) in the "Bass Boost" setting.

It is not the same, don't expect that but to my personal opinion, if you're looking for the IER-M9 sound, the FA9 in the Bass Boost most likely gets the closest to it as it is an good sounding, warm and enjoyable all BA IEM

Only the IER-M9 is the IER-M9 but for 1000€ less and without the hassle of imorting, the FA9 is an excellent all BA IEM with similar tuning (only tuning and only similar) and so pretty much a no brainer.

But if you want the IER-M9 sound, there is nothing else than the IER-M9 itself that can give you that.

Jun 28, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #2,150 of 2,318
e-earphone is also supported by buyee, so you can (for a small fee) pay a company called Tenso to buy it for you. If you don't want to go through the hassle of doing it yourself. Just add the Browser Plugin and if you add the product to your cart, the Buyee plugin will add it to your Buyee Cart and then it can takeover the whole process for you.

e-earphone is Japans biggest Earphone store and official/certified Sony Reseller and, as far as i know, the biggest Sony Audio Partner too. You can get replacement parts and other stuff there too.

But it still is importing from a different country. No returns/refunds(!). In case of damage, you have to send it back to Japan at your own expenses and so on.

If you don't speak japanese, you might refrain from shopping in Japan because the staff at e-earphone does not speak English and does not reply to any non-japanese message. That means if you have any issues with the IER-M9, you have to communicate with them in japanese.

I have not heard of people who have issues with their IER-M9 yet and mine works perfectly fine too, but you should be aware about that.

Similar sonical signature in an all BA? That is a tough question.

The IER-M9 sounds unique because it doesn't use air ducts, no sound pipes and an unique cross-over gateway that uses multiple drivers at once with their in-house developed film capacitors and an physical LPF on the woofer.

Something like that doesn't exist a second time and something that gets close to it neither. So its technical aspects are unique, but there are all BA IEM that have an excellent sound and share similar tuning characteristics.

The best example is the FiiO FA9 (which sells for 350€ right now which is insanely cheap) in the "Bass Boost" setting.

It is not the same, don't expect that but to my personal opinion, if you're looking for the IER-M9 sound, the FA9 in the Bass Boost most likely gets the closest to it as it is an good sounding, warm and enjoyable all BA IEM

Only the IER-M9 is the IER-M9 but for 1000€ less and without the hassle of imorting, the FA9 is an excellent all BA IEM with similar tuning (only tuning and only similar) and so pretty much a no brainer.

But if you want the IER-M9 sound, there is nothing else than the IER-M9 itself that can give you that.
Thanks! This is really helpful, and the things you mentioned about the shop aren't to be understimated.
Well my question about the signature was more a curiosity, but i thought it would be just like you said, a pretty unique iems

Sep 20, 2022 at 2:52 AM Post #2,152 of 2,318
Sadly, XBA-N1 and XBA-N3 have been discontinued. You can buy the remaining stock at Sonys online store but thats it. Most stores (including e-earphone) stopped stelling them with the notice, that this product is out of production.

R.I.P. XBA-N Series

For the people who look for an alternative in the same price range
Final E4000/E5000 or Audio Technica ATH-CKR100

Last edited:
May 1, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #2,154 of 2,318
Not sure if they are the exact same but here is an alternative:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002585238170.html

They are important for the sound, Sony uses foams to tune their iems.

For example:
graph (77).png

Maybe try putting the foam inside a case along with some silica gel packs?
I removed the foam and put a grid in front of the nozzle and the earphone sounds mucho Better, imo. Please try and let me know

May 1, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #2,155 of 2,318
I removed the foam and put a grid in front of the nozzle and the earphone sounds mucho Better, imo. Please try and let me know
I have done that on my EX800st and yes, it does sound better to me. (I do use PEQ with it anyway.)

May 9, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #2,156 of 2,318
Does someone knows if I can find the original N3 tips somewhere for sale? Also looking for replacement cable or the original one, the right side interrupts sometimes. Thanks

May 9, 2023 at 5:22 AM Post #2,157 of 2,318
Does someone knows if I can find the original N3 tips somewhere for sale? Also looking for replacement cable or the original one, the right side interrupts sometimes. Thanks
I import the Triple Comfort from Japan. Name is Sony EP-TC50. They’re about 1000 yen for two pairs.

For the other ones just get the Final E tips instead. They have exactly the same sound profile and shape but are sturdier. They sell them on Amazon and usually buying a Final E500 or E1000 is cheaper than buying the tips separately.

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #2,158 of 2,318
Thank you. I was looking for the silicone ones and I actually have the Final E tips, I'll try them out.

May 9, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #2,159 of 2,318

I believe the hybrid silicon tips are EP-EX10 or EP-EX11 which you can find if you search. The replacement cable appears to be part 184975811 for 4.4mm and 184975611 for 3.5mm. Please verify before you spend money, but maybe this will help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back