Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
May 4, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #2,132 of 2,318
Hello to everyone, I wanted to try these iems and finally I found it, only used unfortunately, but I think they're fine and genuine, what d'you think about the cable, the seller didn't know too much about it, told me it's just an aftermarket cable.

Attachments

• PXL_20220504_174721913.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220504_174721913.PORTRAIT.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220504_174600310.jpg
    PXL_20220504_174600310.jpg
    844.8 KB · Views: 0
May 5, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #2,135 of 2,318
lol indeed it is, wondering about the material maybe a mix occ and silver, don't know if it's worth to change it...
Does it sound good already? If so then don't bother changing it unless you don't like yellow.

I've got 2 sets of N3's, one with the original AP cable and the other that bought from another head-fier with the Sony single ended upgrade cable, and I cannot tell the difference between the two.

I'm guessing that the N3's are not particularly cable sensitive - not that I put a whole lot of weight on cables anyway.

May 5, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #2,136 of 2,318
Does it sound good already? If so then don't bother changing it unless you don't like yellow.

I've got 2 sets of N3's, one with the original AP cable and the other that bought from another head-fier with the Sony single ended upgrade cable, and I cannot tell the difference between the two.

I'm guessing that the N3's are not particularly cable sensitive - not that I put a whole lot of weight on cables anyway.
yeah sounds pretty good and maybe is just me trying to have an excuse for buying a new cable :) anyway talkin about cables and influence on sound always a risky business I guess...

Jun 24, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #2,137 of 2,318
Am interested on picking the XBA-N3 after reading Precog's review.

Noticed Sony also released an N1 model which is cheaper than the N3.

How different is the tuning?

Jun 24, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #2,138 of 2,318
Jun 25, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #2,139 of 2,318
Am interested on picking the XBA-N3 after reading Precog's review.

Noticed Sony also released an N1 model which is cheaper than the N3.

How different is the tuning?

I haven't tried the N1, but the N3 is one of the drivers I use on a weekly basis. It sports an L shaped bassy and warm tuning, very smooth and non fatiguing. It doesn't have good resolution or micro-details, so it is a set for chilling and relaxing, and not for critical listening. Soundstage and layering is quite nice, and even though it has BAs inside, it doesn't have typical BA timbre, cause they use some foams in the nozzle to damp things.

I think it isn't sold any more though, but I bought mine at 2nd hand at around $100 USD flat, I frequently see them at second hand forums around $150 USD and below, so perhaps worth it to spring at that pricing, but at full price, the technicalities do hold it back IMO.

Jun 25, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #2,140 of 2,318
I haven't tried the N1, but the N3 is one of the drivers I use on a weekly basis. It sports an L shaped bassy and warm tuning, very smooth and non fatiguing. It doesn't have good resolution or micro-details, so it is a set for chilling and relaxing, and not for critical listening. Soundstage and layering is quite nice, and even though it has BAs inside, it doesn't have typical BA timbre, cause they use some foams in the nozzle to damp things.

I think it isn't sold any more though, but I bought mine at 2nd hand at around $100 USD flat, I frequently see them at second hand forums around $150 USD and below, so perhaps worth it to spring at that pricing, but at full price, the technicalities do hold it back IMO.

It's probably better for my wallet to get a secondhand Xenns Up for around $450 (The cheapest one I've seen sold for $400 a few days ago on Reddit.)

Not particularly technical from what I've heard, I reckon the middling technical performance is somewhat baked into the bassy FR just like the N3.

So overwhelmed by the amount of IEM options, I'd wish releases would slow down a bit.

Jun 25, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #2,141 of 2,318
It's probably better for my wallet to get a secondhand Xenns Up for around $450 (The cheapest one I've seen sold for $400 a few days ago on Reddit.)

Not particularly technical from what I've heard, I reckon the middling technical performance is somewhat baked into the bassy FR just like the N3.

So overwhelmed by the amount of IEM options, I'd wish releases would slow down a bit.

The Xenns Up is more sub-bass focused, compared to the mid-bass focused XBA N3. Bass texturing is also better on the Xenns Up, timbre seems better on the N3. The N3 sounds more open.

Both are not technical IEMs, but the Xenns Up is just a bit better in this department. Nothing to write home about when it comes to technicalities for these 2.

The N3 is substantially cheaper though, and I guess it really depends on whether you prefer mid-bass slam to sub-bass rumble, but I do pick the N3 more than the Xenns Up on a weekly basis.

Jun 26, 2022 at 12:47 AM Post #2,142 of 2,318
The Xenns Up is more sub-bass focused, compared to the mid-bass focused XBA N3. Bass texturing is also better on the Xenns Up, timbre seems better on the N3. The N3 sounds more open.

Both are not technical IEMs, but the Xenns Up is just a bit better in this department. Nothing to write home about when it comes to technicalities for these 2.

The N3 is substantially cheaper though, and I guess it really depends on whether you prefer mid-bass slam to sub-bass rumble, but I do pick the N3 more than the Xenns Up on a weekly basis.
That's a pretty bold claim but then I remembered Crinacle gave both a B in technical performance.

I'm on hard side quest mode picking up sets I don't really need, my heart wants to buy IEMs I don't need but my brain tells me to buy a Moondrop S8 because it's a good addition to my current collection, I don't have anything that is insanely resolving. (FDX1 is very resolving, but I'm sure there are even more resolving sets.)

The wacky world of IEMs never ends, I wouldn't be surprised if something better than the S8 comes out like two weeks after getting one if I take that route.

Jun 26, 2022 at 2:35 AM Post #2,144 of 2,318
That's a pretty bold claim but then I remembered Crinacle gave both a B in technical performance.

I'm on hard side quest mode picking up sets I don't really need, my heart wants to buy IEMs I don't need but my brain tells me to buy a Moondrop S8 because it's a good addition to my current collection, I don't have anything that is insanely resolving. (FDX1 is very resolving, but I'm sure there are even more resolving sets.)

The wacky world of IEMs never ends, I wouldn't be surprised if something better than the S8 comes out like two weeks after getting one if I take that route.

I learnt this the hard way, budget gear is good for dabbling with the various sound signatures to see what you like or dislike. As you say, every week, more IEMs are released, but maybe 70ish% are forgotten after a few weeks.

But once you know what you want, it might be wise to just upgrade to midFI or TOTL and call it a day. Multiple sidegrades eg budget and lowish midFI sets, will add up to a TOTL set one day, and most of these end up in the drawer instead of in the ears. Between midFI and TOTL, the difference is maybe 10 - 30%, but you pay 10 times more for that small improvement, as per diminishing returns in this hobby. So sweet spot is still at the midFI region.

Since you are looking for something resolving, I quite like the QDC Anole VX, it is bloody expensive though. It has multiple tuning options too, but it has BA timbre (10 BA set), so even TOTL models have weaknesses. For a single DD that is very resolving, the most technical one I tried is the Final Audio A8000, but it is a bit hot in the 5 - 6 kHz regions, so it can be fatiguing. Since we are in the Sony thread, the IER M9 is my current end game IEM, pure BA set but very natural sounding, warm neutral, excellent imaging and mids. I bought my M9 second hand at $495 USD, there are quite a number for sale on second hand forums, and even though it is around 4 years old, I think the M9 is still competitive against some modern day TOTL models.

If u are not particular about second hand iems, there are some TOTL ones u can snag at half price or so.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2022 at 3:09 AM Post #2,145 of 2,318
I learnt this the hard way, budget gear is good for dabbling with the various sound signatures to see what you like or dislike. As you say, every week, more IEMs are released, but maybe 70ish% are forgotten after a few weeks.

But once you know what you want, it might be wise to just upgrade to midFI or TOTL and call it a day. Multiple sidegrades eg budget and lowish midFI sets, will add up to a TOTL set one day, and most of these end up in the drawer instead of in the ears. Between midFI and TOTL, the difference is maybe 10 - 30%, but you pay 10 times more for that small improvement, as per diminishing returns in this hobby. So sweet spot is still at the midFI region.

Since you are looking for something resolving, I quite like the QDC Anole VX, it is bloody expensive though. It has multiple tuning options too, but it has BA timbre (10 BA set), so even TOTL models have weaknesses. For a single DD that is very resolving, the most technical one I tried is the Final Audio A8000, but it is a bit hot in the 5 - 6 kHz regions, so it can be fatiguing. Since we are in the Sony thread, the IER M9 is my current end game IEM, pure BA set but very natural sounding, warm neutral, excellent imaging and mids. I bought my M9 second hand at $495 USD, there are quite a number for sale on second hand forums, and even though it is around 4 years old, I think the M9 is still competitive against some modern day TOTL models.

If u are not particular about second hand iems, there are some TOTL ones u can snag at half price or so.

Anole VX is easily outside my budget right now (Which is around $500.) though I do have plans on getting a true TOTL next year, probably the u12t because it checks the most boxes and has virtually no weaknesses other than the awful stock cable.

Maybe I'll consider the VX for the wow factor, but the u12t seems to be a better allrounder than the VX even if it's slightly inferior on sheer detail retrieval.

A8000 is way too bright for my taste, this one is a pass.

Speaking of money adding up, I summed up all the money I've spent on IEMs so far: totals around $2,500 USD aka enough for a flagship and maybe some leftover cash for a mid-fi set just to have some variety.

Yeah, getting stuck in the sub $300 IEM purgatory is no bueno because you'll just keep spending money on side grades or IEMs that serve no real purpose. (I didn't need sets like the Fiio FD5 and Softears Volume, the EST 112 is better than both IMO.)

After a lot of IEM digging, looks like the S8 is the IEM that would fit best with the IEM pool I have and a secondhand one is within my budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back