Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Mar 23, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #1,906 of 2,298
Hello head-fiers,

My apologies if this has been asked before but I’m looking to replace my Sony XBA-N3AP earphones since sadly the one on the R side is failing…

I do like Sony’s sound signature and had the XBA-H3 before that…

Sadly the XBA-N3 is discontinued even though I could still get it from eBay as a Japan import but I would prefer the safety net of Amazon when it comes to returns and stressless warranty policy.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a similar sound signature? My music player is the Fiio M9…have tried Fiio’s FH5 quad driver in ear monitors but wasn’t that satisfied with the sound…

I’m thinking of trying the Shure SE535 but would be really interested to hear other people’s recommendations for something with a similar sound signature to Sony’s and a budget of up to £300 max.

Many thanks for your time in advance.

FiiO FD5 might be an option if you like the DD bass. It's the most similar to the N3 of the IEM's I own.

Mar 24, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #1,907 of 2,298
Hello head-fiers,

My apologies if this has been asked before but I’m looking to replace my Sony XBA-N3AP earphones since sadly the one on the R side is failing…

I do like Sony’s sound signature and had the XBA-H3 before that…

Sadly the XBA-N3 is discontinued even though I could still get it from eBay as a Japan import but I would prefer the safety net of Amazon when it comes to returns and stressless warranty policy.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a similar sound signature? My music player is the Fiio M9…have tried Fiio’s FH5 quad driver in ear monitors but wasn’t that satisfied with the sound…

I’m thinking of trying the Shure SE535 but would be really interested to hear other people’s recommendations for something with a similar sound signature to Sony’s and a budget of up to £300 max.

Many thanks for your time in advance.

If you're looking for a more or less comparable sound signature, the SE535 are quite differently tuned (much less bass and generally darker). For what it is worth, I've written something about the DK 3001 Pro in this thread just a few posts above: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-xba-n3ap-and-xba-n1ap-—-impressions-thread.818852/page-127#post-16233776

Mar 25, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #1,908 of 2,298
Thank you all for your advice and recommendations…!

It seems to be the socket of the R earpiece that’s causing the issue as it’s still there when I swap the cable ( I know I’m not supposed to lol…!)

I tried cleaning it with vinegar but will have another go with proper deoxit this weekend to see if this makes a difference…the connection has always been slightly less tight on the right side for some reason even though it has not been an issue before

I am quite intrigued by the DK-3001 Pro I have to say… even though It’s certainly a lot more expensive than the N3 I’m tempted to listen to it and I understand that it is an upgrade

I can’t get hold of the M7 nor the Z5 at a reasonable price sadly

The good news is that Accessory Jack have told me that they have the Sony XBA-N3 and that they can post it to the UK in a way that there will not be an additional import fee which sounds like a good deal..! Will look into it properly this weekend

Cheers..!

Mar 25, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #1,909 of 2,298

It seems to be the socket of the R earpiece that’s causing the issue as it’s still there when I swap the cable ( I know I’m not supposed to lol…!)

I tried cleaning it with vinegar but will have another go with proper deoxit this weekend to see if this makes a difference…the connection has always been slightly less tight on the right side for some reason even though it has not been an issue before

I am quite intrigued by the DK-3001 Pro I have to say… even though It’s certainly a lot more expensive than the N3 I’m tempted to listen to it and I understand that it is an upgrade

The good news is that Accessory Jack have told me that they have the Sony XBA-N3 and that they can post it to the UK in a way that there will not be an additional import fee which sounds like a good deal..! Will look into it properly this weekend

Cheers..!
I'm going to warn you on the delivery to the UK - I ordered a pair of N3s from AJ a MONTH ago and still waiting. We raised an enquiry with Hong Kong Post and still waiting to see where the heck it is.

Mar 26, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #1,910 of 2,298

Cheers..!

I bought my N3 from AJ and everything went fine. I didn't get charged with any import fee which was a bonus.

Mar 26, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #1,911 of 2,298
I'm going to warn you on the delivery to the UK - I ordered a pair of N3s from AJ a MONTH ago and still waiting. We raised an enquiry with Hong Kong Post and still waiting to see where the heck it is.
Cheers for the warning buddy…

There are lots of delays with deliveries all around the world due to Covid so hopefully you’ll get yours soon…
Good to know that it may take a long time though for the item to arrive

Mar 26, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #1,912 of 2,298
Cheers for the warning buddy…

There are lots of delays with deliveries all around the world due to Covid so hopefully you’ll get yours soon…
Good to know that it may take a long time though for the item to arrive
Covid and Brexit in particular have not helped. Johnny from AJ can’t do much until HK Post tell him what’s happened to it. And we’re still waiting on that...

Mar 26, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #1,914 of 2,298
Hi guys, anybody use N3 over ear? Any suggestions for cable for over ear? (Kimber Kable? or Nobunaga from Japan?)Thanks in advance:wink:
I do and I use the Tri Through cable.

Mar 26, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #1,915 of 2,298
I liked my XBA-N3AP enough to get a second one. I especially appreciated the light weight and low wind noise, making it suitable for listening outside.

A comparison of my 2 year old XBA-N3AP that I used daily, with a new one (made 2020-12) that I just got from AccessoryJack:

physical wear:
- new has more flexible cable, like it was with the old one when I got it
- new has a left-right cable collar that stays in place, like it originally was with the old one

audio quality differences, listening to tracks with both heavy bass and treble, with new large Comply Isolation tips on both IEMs:
- new is slightly louder
- new is slightly better technically
- new has more controlled low bass, no subtle ringing

I swapped a bunch of times but did not blind myself.

I babied my old one (no slamming on floor / rain / washer), and I believe it originally sounded more like the new one.
I love them too, besides my over the ear headphones, the XBA-N3AP are my only lightweight pair of headphones, I replaced the standard cable with the Sony WH1000XM3 to great effect, although the cable is heavy and falls off my ears sometimes!

Mar 28, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #1,916 of 2,298
Covid and Brexit in particular have not helped. Johnny from AJ can’t do much until HK Post tell him what’s happened to it. And we’re still waiting on that...
Fingers crossed it will turn up soon…let us know how you get on

I managed to resurrect my H3 with a bit of cleaning and a cable so that can keep me going for a while… Tempted to go for the N3 from AJ but obviously worried about the delay

Mar 28, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #1,918 of 2,298
Thanks for the info

Was yours also for delivery to the UK…? How long did it take for the parcel to arrive if you don’t mind me asking?

I've bought the N3, ZX507 and IER-M9 from AJ in the last few months, all arrived to Ireland in about 5 days with FedEx Express which btw in the tracking routes via Stansted! It might be worth emailing them and ask can they send Express instead. Express is the only option for Ireland, worth it though for $20.

Mar 28, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #1,919 of 2,298
I've bought the N3, ZX507 and IER-M9 from AJ in the last few months, all arrived to Ireland in about 5 days with FedEx Express which btw in the tracking routes via Stansted! It might be worth emailing them and ask can they send Express instead. Express is the only option for Ireland, worth it though for $20.
Extremely useful to know…will check with Jonny

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back