Sony XBA-N3AP and XBA-N1AP — Impressions thread
Feb 22, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #1,877 of 2,298
I'm also in the same boat, love the sound but having difficulties having them stay in place with whichever stock tip size.

I'm going to do some tryout, just ordered some Spiral Dots, any other suggestions of other tips to try?

Next step will be some super-light cable like a Linum.

I left them aside for a while due to another purchase but went back last weekend and tried again - this time with the L triple comfort, getting a good fit with them - I'm using the MUC-M12NB1 balanced cable, looks great but it is too heavy, especially with an already challenging fit! When seated and not planning to move about much, they do sound fantastic... but forget about walking anywhere with them.

I'd be curious to try a lighter cable also, I was looking at the following from Null Audio but I think it might be heavy also.

https://www.null-audio.com/collecti...ies-mkiii-premium-upgrade-cable-for-earphones

Feb 22, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #1,879 of 2,298
I left them aside for a while due to another purchase but went back last weekend and tried again - this time with the L triple comfort, getting a good fit with them - I'm using the MUC-M12NB1 balanced cable, looks great but it is too heavy, especially with an already challenging fit! When seated and not planning to move about much, they do sound fantastic... but forget about walking anywhere with them.

I'd be curious to try a lighter cable also, I was looking at the following from Null Audio but I think it might be heavy also.

https://www.null-audio.com/collecti...ies-mkiii-premium-upgrade-cable-for-earphones

The Linum Bax is the lightest premium cable that I'm aware of.

Feb 22, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #1,880 of 2,298
I liked my XBA-N3AP enough to get a second one. I especially appreciated the light weight and low wind noise, making it suitable for listening outside.

A comparison of my 2 year old XBA-N3AP that I used daily, with a new one (made 2020-12) that I just got from AccessoryJack:

physical wear:
- new has more flexible cable, like it was with the old one when I got it
- new has a left-right cable collar that stays in place, like it originally was with the old one

audio quality differences, listening to tracks with both heavy bass and treble, with new large Comply Isolation tips on both IEMs:
- new is slightly louder
- new is slightly better technically
- new has more controlled low bass, no subtle ringing

I swapped a bunch of times but did not blind myself.

I babied my old one (no slamming on floor / rain / washer), and I believe it originally sounded more like the new one.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #1,881 of 2,298
I liked my XBA-N3AP enough to get a second one. I especially appreciated the light weight and low wind noise, making it suitable for listening outside.

A comparison of my 2 year old XBA-N3AP that I used daily, with a new one (made 2020-12) that I just got from AccessoryJack:

physical wear:
- new has more flexible cable, like it was with the old one when I got it
- new has a left-right cable collar that stays in place, like it originally was with the old one

audio quality differences, listening to tracks with both heavy bass and treble, with new large Comply Isolation tips on both IEMs:
- new is slightly louder
- new is slightly better technically
- new has more controlled low bass, no subtle ringing

I swapped a bunch of times but did not blind myself.

I babied my old one (no slamming on floor / rain / washer), and I believed it originally sounded more like the new one.
Check your nozzle. There is a foam filter in it and your old units foam piece is probably more damaged.

Feb 22, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #1,882 of 2,298
The Linum Bax is the lightest premium cable that I'm aware of.

Just looking at their T2 SuperBaX with 4.4mm... looks very nice!

Feb 22, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #1,883 of 2,298
Feb 22, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #1,884 of 2,298
You would need MMCX, not T2, correct?

Yes indeed, this one - expensive.

Screenshot_20210222-230752_Samsung Internet.jpg

Feb 22, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #1,885 of 2,298
Mar 11, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #1,887 of 2,298
Hi all;

Playing around with N3AP for years, I think its bass is good, fun sound, little warm, reasonably good mid and high. Good for cable down wearing but not perfect for over ear. Now I am looking for something;

1. almost same good quality and quantity of bass, I know difficult to find more or even same level, just don't want to be far behind.....
2. similar level of mid and high ok;
3. wide sound stage
4. more neutral, not warm; imagine better for EDM;
5. wear over ear, that i love much more to eliminate the cable noise
6. I don't mind Chi-fi
7. I bought my N3AP about USD250 here in HK, plan to use a budget max. USD350. no second hand

listen to pop, rock, EDM, electronic, acoustic, dream pop.... many many and I need kind of all rounder.

any suggestion? Am I asking for to much?
Thanks

Mar 11, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #1,888 of 2,298
Hi all;

Playing around with N3AP for years, I think its bass is good, fun sound, little warm, reasonably good mid and high. Good for cable down wearing but not perfect for over ear. Now I am looking for something;

1. almost same good quality and quantity of bass, I know difficult to find more or even same level, just don't want to be far behind.....
3. wide sound stage
6. I don't mind Chi-fi
7. I bought my N3AP about USD250 here in HK, plan to use a budget max. USD350. no second hand

listen to pop, rock, EDM, electronic, acoustic, dream pop.... many many and I need kind of all rounder.

Thanks
LZ A7.

Mar 11, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #1,890 of 2,298
Hi all;

3. wide sound stage
6. I don't mind Chi-fi

Thanks

Fiio FH3? They sound similar to N3 and won't push your budget at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back