Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
Jun 4, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #3,062 of 3,257

I agree too, but wouldn't that make the A3 or Z5 even better in those departments?

Well... there's still one factor to consider when comparing the three: COST 
wink.gif

The H3's can be had for much lower prices these days if you spend a little bit of time hunting for them, some may even be on the clearance list of shops that are trying to get rid of them to have space for newer models as they are now relatively 'old'.

To some, the A3's don't cost 'much' more than the H3's, but the Z5's certainly do (at double the price)!

Jun 7, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #3,063 of 3,257
are the xba h1 worth getting for $35 refurbished or should i just get a vsd3s for $40

Jun 23, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #3,064 of 3,257
  I think the trickiest part about getting the H3 to sound its' best is the damping of the very huge (by IEM standards) 16 mm dynamic driver in it. Most standalone audiophile DAPs just lack the extra power to properly dampen the vibrations of the big driver, hence, resulting in a slightly boomy sound. For me, adding an external amplifier to my X5 significantly improves overall clarity and bass texture of the H3. I find that it performs exceptionally well with most pop / electronic music (probably what it was intended for, I think), but not so well for acoustic music due to the overall warmer timbre / tonality which makes this genre sound unnatural. That being said, whether one would be willing to carry a DAP + external amp combo on the go for the best sonic performance, is another question.

What I like from the Z5 and A3 is its bass. I enjoy home audio and I can hear and feel the bass no matter the style of music played and the same goes in a live concert. My issue is Balance Armature IEM do not have the organic sound and bass as real woofers produce. Seems many have become used to hearing a flat or neutral sound and think thats real audio class. I say no it is not real. The Z5 and A3 both are able to retain the real so called Boomy Bass and give clarity with its BA Drivers.

Jun 23, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #3,066 of 3,257
I personally like my Z5 a lot  :) The biggest change from the H3 is slightly less bass presence with more texture and detail, more balanced midrange, and cleaner treble while still being pleasant. I love that I can listen at lower volumes and still hear the detail or I can turn it up in volume and experience a grand sound without suffering from fatigue. Without having an H3 to compared against directly I won't comment on differences in sound stage and such as those areas are very difficult to compare from memory. All I know is I never felt compelled to keep the H3 even though I got a very good deal on them from Sony Canada but I have no intention of getting rid of my Z5 even though I only managed to whittle the Sony salesman down a bit on the Z5.

Jun 23, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #3,067 of 3,257
Well I too love the Z5, I prefer it over all my custom IEMS. I also love the A3, it has many similarities with the Z5 but it has some differences which makes it stand out. I like both so much That I want to hear the H3. I love bass there is never too much bass for me as long as the mids and treble are clear and not too over shadowed.

Jun 23, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #3,068 of 3,257
Well I too love the Z5, I prefer it over all my custom IEMS. I also love the A3, it has many similarities with the Z5 but it has some differences which makes it stand out. I like both so much That I want to hear the H3. I love bass there is never too much bass for me as long as the mids and treble are clear and not too over shadowed.

Would you be able to outline the differences between the A3 and the Z5?

Thanks!

Jun 23, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #3,069 of 3,257
To me, Z5 sounds a bit more impressive than A3. Just about everything is grander in comparison, but at the end I picked A3 instead of Z5 though it has nothing to do with the price difference. The first time I demoed both, I noticed something doesn't sound quite right about Z5's imaging. Then I talked to a friend at the spot whom demoed both a couple of time before and we concluded that we both noticed that its bass is slightly out of phase. It is like a 2.1 speaker system where the sub is placed a bit too far. It might be just some milliseconds off, but it is enough to bother me. On the other hand, A3 sounds coherent to me and nothing is out of place.

Jun 23, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #3,070 of 3,257

Would you be able to outline the differences between the A3 and the Z5?

Thanks!

I bought the Z5 first and liked it and when I added an amp I loved it. With the amp the Z5 became more balanced but hell yeah the bass is very present and thats a good thing. The A3 I demoed and I liked it. First thing I noticed with the A3 was it was more V Shape which means the treble and Bass are more up front while the Mids were a bit behind but still very detailed. Also a little bit more seperation in the music between bass and mids and mids and treble. Also the A3 being made of Plastic and not metal like the Z5 is very light and easy to carry. The Z5 is better but the A3 is a lot of fun.

Jun 23, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #3,071 of 3,257
  To me, Z5 sounds a bit more impressive than A3. Just about everything is grander in comparison, but at the end I picked A3 instead of Z5 though it has nothing to do with the price difference. The first time I demoed both, I noticed something doesn't sound quite right about Z5's imaging. Then I talked to a friend at the spot whom demoed both a couple of time before and we concluded that we both noticed that its bass is slightly out of phase. It is like a 2.1 speaker system where the sub is placed a bit too far. It might be just some milliseconds off, but it is enough to bother me. On the other hand, A3 sounds coherent to me and nothing is out of place.

Im glad you spotted that and ended up with the A3. I didnt noticed that and I wasnt trying to look for something like that but once the Z5 gets dome hours of music going through it it changes and it opens up and it has a huge sound stage and with an amp it ruined my experience with the JH13 and Noble K10. I dont use them anymore.

Jun 23, 2015 at 6:58 AM Post #3,072 of 3,257

How can an IEM have anything that is a few mS off? The distances are not there in an IEM.

Jun 23, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #3,074 of 3,257
  How can an IEM have anything that is a few mS off? The distances are not there in an IEM.

Well, I didn't check for unicorn inside the Z5 I demoed that days, but pretty sure there isn't any in the A3 I demoed, since it sounds just like the one I picked up later. So I guess you have to take my observation as it is
tongue.gif

Jun 23, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #3,075 of 3,257

Well, I didn't check for unicorn inside the Z5 I demoed that days, but pretty sure there isn't any in the A3 I demoed, since it sounds just like the one I picked up later. So I guess you have to take my observation as it is
tongue.gif

It might be like the Tardis, bigger on the inside than the outside. 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back