Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
May 4, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #1,936 of 3,257
EX1000's treble is painfully good if you can sustain the pain long enough, as I have done for 4000+ hrs.

This is why you have to listen to it I guess. Every person has their own tolerance for treble brightness.

For me the h3 is fine but I am not sure I would want to live with anything brighter than that.

May 4, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #1,939 of 3,257

Actually, the H3 is a good deal more refined than the EX1000, and the H3's treble is a lot more detailed and real. Where the EX1000 wins is in its tuning...it sounds like an open air stadium without borders.

But the H3 wins in every other way when you tape over the vent. 

I'm glad you believe that.

This means that the ath-ckr9s that I have also beat the ex1000s, and can ALMOST hang with the H3s!

Those japanese at kakaku have to re-evaluate their reviews of both the sonys and audio technicas...

Now for those ostrys.

May 4, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #1,940 of 3,257
This is why you have to listen to it I guess. Every person has their own tolerance for treble brightness.

Absolutely agree, and it also depends on the genres you listen to. Personally, anything muddy, bloated, lifeless and dark ruins the music for me. A transparent source and a pair of reference phones work perfectly for my music. I like energetic, sparkling, fresh, airy, effortless treble. The treble of other phones I have tried so far all fell short compared to the EX1000. I guess I am a treble head.

That said, I have not heard the H3 and I am sure it works great for others.

May 4, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #1,941 of 3,257
  I am sorry if I am asking a noob question, but can really cables change the sound signature/quality? 

I have the XBA-H3 and I like the cable but I like the cables that were posted above more. The Sony cable is sexy but sometimes it tangle even though its flat....

So what I am trying to figure out is if I buy one of these cables posted above, will the sound signature change of my XBA-H3?

Thanks

Silver has a more pure signal path than just copper for example which is what most standard cables use..There is an entire industry of higher end cables that people make. It gets pretty extreme in the cable world. It is very subjective and some can argue that getting a better source does more for your sound than an upgraded cable which is actually true. It isn't a huge leap in sound or makes the H3 sound like a completely new phone or anything like that as you are using the same exact earphone when changing cables..Not a night and day difference but sound can be a touch smoother.. Details clearer..It is based more on how well your drivers receive the signal from your upgraded cables. The stock cable is actually very good but the silver cables bought from ebay just adds a touch more clarity and detail more than anything really perceivable..

Most earphones that do not have detachable cables can't be upgraded but the H3 can..I wouldn't go crazy on the cable upgrades as some cables can cost a crazy amount of money but $45 or so for a more purer signal is not a bad thing. Just be very careful when taking off and putting on the cables..

May 4, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #1,942 of 3,257

Silver has a more pure signal path than just copper for example which is what most standard cables use..There is an entire industry of higher end cables that people make. It gets pretty extreme in the cable world. It is very subjective and some can argue that getting a better source does more for your sound than an upgraded cable which is actually true. It isn't a huge leap in sound or makes the H3 sound like a completely new phone or anything like that as you are using the same exact earphone when changing cables..Not a night and day difference but sound can be a touch smoother.. Details clearer..It is based more on how well your drivers receive the signal from your upgraded cables. The stock cable is actually very good but the silver cables bought from ebay just adds a touch more clarity and detail more than anything really perceivable..

Most earphones that do not have detachable cables can't be upgraded but the H3 can..I wouldn't go crazy on the cable upgrades as some cables can cost a crazy amount of money but $45 or so for a more purer signal is not a bad thing. Just be very careful when taking off and putting on the cables..

Thank you!

May 5, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #1,944 of 3,257
I'm flabbergasted!

Just wanted to share this bizarre tidbit with you guys. I just opened my replacement pair of h3's, and I noticed something VERY peculiar. This new set sounds much better than the original set. Better bass, and WAY larger soundstage. All out of the box with no burn in. Funny thing. My first pair was an open box.. My replacement was factory sealed.

I was so shocked at the difference, I pulled the pair that is going back, out of the return box for a little a/b comparison... No double blind test needed. The difference is night and day. I don't know what the heck is going on here, but I can pick them apart from each other very easily. Almost like hearing the same song at 128 vs 320. The new ones sound like my Maggie's, and the original pair sound like a great pair of box speakers. The new ones blow them away. My house is quiet right now and I'm listening to them at low volume, and some parts of the music are scaring me with early realism. Startled a couple of times already.WTH!

I'm thinking there May be dud copies of these headphones...... I can see why if the original purchaser of my open box pair may have been disappointed with that copy, and may have heard another set of h3's, thus returning them. I certainly would have done the same. I can only speculate. I'm just happy that the "loose" connection was bothering me enough to ask for an exchange. (I now resign to the fact that the cable connection will always have play in it- nature of the beast)

I finally feel like I have a pair of reference quality earphones. These replacements are phenomenal. Fuller, more engaging sound and much more coherent. I had no idea what I was missing. The first ones were "great", because I had no other copy to compare it to, I realize that my first copy had some sort of defect, or something bizarrely wrong with them, but if you had never heard another copy, you would have been satisfied too.

As an aside, this new pair seems to have some extra glue or something strange running along the seam of the casing, from the manufacturing process. The first pair does not. Tiny "issue" I'm just being super anal, because I was obviously examining the replacement pair like a hawk. Second pair, I hope to keep for a very long time! They sound absolutely divine-even off my lowly iphone 5!

Btw I just realized I was using the foam/silicone tips, ( put them on from the start- on both pairs) thinking that they were in fact the "hybrids", but realized I had made mistake. Pulled them off and put the original tips that they shipped with ( the green ones) without the foam..let's just say- huge improvement. The foam/silicone one suck all the life out of the music. The ones with out the foam have Deeper bass, better staging. (Yes- I tested both the old and new pair with the green hybrid tips)

The more I'm thinking about the possible causes- maybe a bad BA driver? Maybe the original owner of my first pair fried something in them? Oh well- back in the game with a sick pair of IEM's

Just had to share with you guys.

May 5, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #1,945 of 3,257
I'm flabbergasted!

Just wanted to share this bizarre tidbit with you guys. I just opened my replacement pair of h3's, and I noticed something VERY peculiar. This new set sounds much better than the original set. Better bass, and WAY larger soundstage. All out of the box with no burn in. Funny thing. My first pair was an open box.. My replacement was factory sealed.

I was so shocked at the difference, I pulled the pair that is going back, out of the return box for a little a/b comparison... No double blind test needed. The difference is night and day. I don't know what the heck is going on here, but I can pick them apart from each other very easily. Almost like hearing the same song at 128 vs 320. The new ones sound like my Maggie's, and the original pair sound like a great pair of box speakers. The new ones blow them away. My house is quiet right now and I'm listening to them at low volume, and some parts of the music are scaring me with early realism. Startled a couple of times already.WTH!

I'm thinking there May be dud copies of these headphones...... I can see why if the original purchaser of my open box pair may have been disappointed with that copy, and may have heard another set of h3's, thus returning them. I certainly would have done the same. I can only speculate. I'm just happy that the "loose" connection was bothering me enough to ask for an exchange. (I now resign to the fact that the cable connection will always have play in it- nature of the beast)

I finally feel like I have a pair of reference quality earphones. These replacements are phenomenal. Fuller, more engaging sound and much more coherent. I had no idea what I was missing. The first ones were "great", because I had no other copy to compare it to, I realize that my first copy had some sort of defect, or something bizarrely wrong with them, but if you had never heard another copy, you would have been satisfied to.

As an aside, this new pair seems to have some extra glue or something strange running along the seam of the casing, from the manufacturing process. The first pair does not. Tiny "issue" I'm just being super anal, because I was obviously examining the replacement pair like a hawk. Second pair, I hope to keep for a very long time! They sound absolutely divine-even off my lowly iphone 5!

Btw I just realized I was using the foam/silicone tips, ( put them on from the start- on both pairs) thinking that they were in fact the "hybrids", but realized I had made mistake. Pulled them off and put the original tips that they shipped with ( the green ones) without the foam..let's just say- huge improvement. The foam/silicone one suck all the life out of the music. The ones with out the foam have Deeper bass, better staging. (Yes- I tested both the old and new pair with the green hybrid tips)

The more I'm thinking about the possible causes- maybe a bad BA driver? Maybe the original owner of my first pair fried something in them? Oh well- back in the game with a sick pair of IEM's

Just had to share with you guys.

Possible fakes?

May 5, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #1,946 of 3,257
The thought did go through my mind. But the build quality between the two are dead even. They are too perfect to have been fakes. Are there fake h3's out there? I would never imagine crutchfield having fakes- but then again- they were open box, so anything is possible. Just happy that these are like a carnival of sound by comparison.

May 5, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #1,947 of 3,257
Could you place pic of the glue that is visible at the seam? Maybe we will have a glue mod besides the tape mod then.

May 5, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #1,948 of 3,257
  I've been checking amazon quite often but it's always $350!

showing $239 for me, just a minute ago
prices do fluctuate a lot on Amazon
looks to be on back order though 

1. Sony XBAH3 Hybrid 3-way Driver In-Ear Headphones by Sony
  2. Usually ships in 2 to 5 weeks
  3. sprite-PrimeCheck-100._V359750425_.png
  4.  This is a gift Learn more

$239.00

May 5, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #1,950 of 3,257
I don't think the camera will pick it up, it's that minuscule. They are, for all intents and purposes, perfect. Do yours, or others experience the " glue" I'm talking about?

The unit I reviewed had the same glue excess...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back