Sony XBA-A3 - Impressions Thread
Jul 28, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #286 of 474
Just popping in to say I am falling in love with these. They are exactly what I wanted...a 'musical' IEM with more detail, good separation and a decent soundstage. Yet I can listen to YouTube and other sub-par recordings without cringing, and I still feel like I'm hearing almost every aspect of a good recording. At least, as far as I can tell...

I play with an S7 Edge Exynos and use Viper4Android. I have Dynamic System on/Moto Earphone/18%, Viper Bass/Natural/30hz/14db. I listen to mainly metal and some electronic. I'd be interested to see what other people are using, if they use V4A. I know different phones can affect it to some degree though.

The only things I dislike are the long memory wire, which still seems pretty stiff, and the bodies hurt my antitragus the first few weeks. Not really ready to spend another ~33% of the price on a different cable, though. A custom cable with 3 buttons and without memory wire (or a much smaller one) would be awesome, however.

Does anyone know if Sony is working on a new generation of these?

Jul 29, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #288 of 474
Aug 2, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #289 of 474
will using a pair of comply foamies isolate a bit more? i am currently using a pair of the included sony hybrids and well my office has a pretty loud Air conditioner unit with this constant HUUMMMMM!!!! and the noise is heard (hum) at a noticiable level, sounds like if  I was seated in the rear of an MD-80/Fokker-100 aircraft

Aug 5, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #290 of 474
I love my pair of XBA-A3 their SQ is fantastic, but, the paint started to peel off after less than a year of use, i thik sooner i will upgrade to the XBA-Z5 if sony does not release new flagship IEM in the IFA

Aug 18, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #292 of 474
  Just popping in to say I am falling in love with these. They are exactly what I wanted...a 'musical' IEM with more detail, good separation and a decent soundstage. Yet I can listen to YouTube and other sub-par recordings without cringing, and I still feel like I'm hearing almost every aspect of a good recording. At least, as far as I can tell...

I play with an S7 Edge Exynos and use Viper4Android. I have Dynamic System on/Moto Earphone/18%, Viper Bass/Natural/30hz/14db. I listen to mainly metal and some electronic. I'd be interested to see what other people are using, if they use V4A. I know different phones can affect it to some degree though.

The only things I dislike are the long memory wire, which still seems pretty stiff, and the bodies hurt my antitragus the first few weeks. Not really ready to spend another ~33% of the price on a different cable, though. A custom cable with 3 buttons and without memory wire (or a much smaller one) would be awesome, however.

Does anyone know if Sony is working on a new generation of these?

The soundstage on the A3 are more than decent, in my opinion.  They are outstanding.  I have yet to find an earphone with a deeper, wider soundstage than these.  The pinnacle P1's come close in separation but they aren't as wide.  The fidue A83 have a pretty good soundstage, but again, not as good as the A3.

Aug 31, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #293 of 474
I just visited one of my local audio stores and came across an interesting rumor...
At the store, the XBA-A3 has been allocated to "Special Order" status, which means the retailer has no more stock physically available, the distributor isn't providing any more units, and if customers really want an A3, they'll have to specially request for it. The A2 and Z5 are still stocked and aren't "Special Order" yet, presumably because those two aren't selling as many units as the A3.
Anyway, to cut to the chase, the store manager told me based on her past experience, this means a new model is likely to come out and replace the current line soon. She told me to look out for September...
Her words: "Really not sure what exactly will be announced, but I think Sony is going to release something to replace the XBA-A line in September."
If I'm not wrong, September 2014 was the time when the XBA-A line was announced to replace the XBA-H line (please correct me if I'm wrong). And I've noticed several XBA-Z5, A3, A2 and A1 units going up second-hand for sale on Carousell (a marketplace app used in Singapore).
So, am I the only one who's finding this is news? Anyone who knows more than I do, I'm all ears. I've been on the fence about taking the plunge on a pair of A3 all year and am watching the prices at Sony specialty stores like a hawk now.

Aug 31, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #294 of 474
  I just visited one of my local audio stores and came across an interesting rumor...
At the store, the XBA-A3 has been allocated to "Special Order" status, which means the retailer has no more stock physically available, the distributor isn't providing any more units, and if customers really want an A3, they'll have to specially request for it. The A2 and Z5 are still stocked and aren't "Special Order" yet, presumably because those two aren't selling as many units as the A3.
Anyway, to cut to the chase, the store manager told me based on her past experience, this means a new model is likely to come out and replace the current line soon. She told me to look out for September...
Her words: "Really not sure what exactly will be announced, but I think Sony is going to release something to replace the XBA-A line in September."
If I'm not wrong, September 2014 was the time when the XBA-A line was announced to replace the XBA-H line (please correct me if I'm wrong). And I've noticed several XBA-Z5, A3, A2 and A1 units going up second-hand for sale on Carousell (a marketplace app used in Singapore).
So, am I the only one who's finding this is news? Anyone who knows more than I do, I'm all ears. I've been on the fence about taking the plunge on a pair of A3 all year and am watching the prices at Sony specialty stores like a hawk now.

i have mine for sale

Aug 31, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #295 of 474

Sony's event at IFA 2016 is tomorrow (Sept 1). Patiently awaiting an announcement of a successor....

Sep 1, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #296 of 474

And indeed, on the Sony Singapore website, the new XBA-N3AP headphones just popped up. Still a hybrid, but with a single BA and a 9mm dynamic driver. Not quite sure if they are intended to be the successor of the XBA-A3, though..?

Link: http://www.sony.com.sg/electronics/in-ear-headphones/xba-n3ap

New Thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/818852/sony-xba-n3ap-and-xba-n1ap-impressions-thread#post_12830443

Sep 2, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #298 of 474
The A3 did get the successor we were expecting...
Both the new N3 and the old A3 will be on discount upon launch in Singapore if the A3's 2014 arrival is anything to go by. Someone's gonna have a merry merry Christmas (with a not-so merry wallet).

Sep 2, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #299 of 474
 NEW TIPS!!!

They are included in the Updated XBA Lineup, they are dubbed the "Triple comfort earbuds" they are lie comply foamies but also with silicone material

Sep 2, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #300 of 474
Thought this is already included in the XBA-Z5 whole set of earbuds?

I have 3 sizes of this comply foam with silicon type in the package. It seems aligned to the description.

NEW TIPS!!!

They are included in the Updated XBA Lineup, they are dubbed the "Triple comfort earbuds" they are lie comply foamies but also with silicone material

Users who are viewing this thread

Back