Sony XBA-A3 - Impressions Thread
Jan 26, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #166 of 474
Same for my ZX100, I decided to sell my HA-2 to avoid the hassle of a "boner" stack LOL, and avoid cable mess

I'm happy with my A15, but the ZX100 did catch my eye when I was in Japan recently, seeing it for the first time in the flesh. Because new iems were my priority I wasn't going to even consider the upgrade - and I did myself a favour and didn't even listen to it. Maybe next year......

Jan 27, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #167 of 474
i almost bought the A3 last Sunday, i didn't pull the trigger.. anyone here found the sub-bass unsatisfying?
the high-mid-bass is OK but the sub-bass sounds so-so.. im not sure why..
frown.gif
my 1st and 2nd listen i find it OK but last sunday
after giving it a more critical listening the sub-bass really disappoint me

Jan 27, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #168 of 474
i almost bought the A3 last Sunday, i didn't pull the trigger.. anyone here found the sub-bass unsatisfying?
the high-mid-bass is OK but the sub-bass sounds so-so.. im not sure why.. :frowning2: my 1st and 2nd listen i find it OK but last sunday
you comparing the bass to what iem ?

Jan 27, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #170 of 474
guess you just stuck mentally to the TF. The Aurisonics Harmony is a step up from the TF in the sub bass and treble.

Jan 27, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #171 of 474
I recently bought the XBA-A3.
I am using with my laptop, iPhone 4S and iBasso DX-90.
Its working perfectly with all my devices.
I am very satisfied with its performance interns of sound quality, sound-stage, details, bass & treble.

Jan 27, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #172 of 474
the high-mid-bass is OK but the sub-bass sounds so-so.. im not sure why.. :frowning2: my 1st and 2nd listen i find it OK but last sunday

The tf10 surely doest have the same kind of dynamic bass.... But its true that they arnet very bassy. With a bit of eq they will blow the tf10 out of the water. Otherwise you may prefer the A2.

Jan 27, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #173 of 474

Did you have a good fit? A3 has plenty of subbass rumble in my opinion.

Jan 27, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #174 of 474

the high-mid-bass is OK but the sub-bass sounds so-so.. im not sure why..
frown.gif
my 1st and 2nd listen i find it OK but last sunday

Do agree, have been giving these Brilliant Classics' series of Boccherini String Quintets and the A3 have nice rumble on subbass

Jan 27, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #175 of 474
guess you just stuck mentally to the TF. The Aurisonics Harmony is a step up from the TF in the sub bass and treble.

very interested! thanks for recommending

The tf10 surely doest have the same kind of dynamic bass.... But its true that they arnet very bassy. With a bit of eq they will blow the tf10 out of the water. Otherwise you may prefer the A2.

yup the TF10 don't have the dynamic impact like A3, but the sub-bass of the TF10 is better IMO. i might consider trying it again some other time

for my ears it's more on the mid-bass, not much on the sub-bass maybe because it has a vent?

Jan 27, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #176 of 474
  Can anybody directly compare the A3 with the EX1000? It's been years since I had the EX1000 and I still haven't found an IEM which I like better.

I just went through this recently.

I started with the XBA-A3 and liked it but thought it was a bit too bassy.  Comfort was great though.  Then bought the XBA-A2 to compare.  I thought it was better balanced throughout with a touch less bass than the A3, but less comfortable and it suffers from cable microphonics.  It was tough but I returned the A2 and kept the A3.

Then I found a good deal here on a slightly used EX1000.  I couldn't pass it up, I've wanted these for a long time but didn't want to buy new from Japan.  I listened to the A3 and EX1000 back to back for a couple weeks and ended up returning the A3.  That was a really tough decision lol!  The reason is because I prefer a more balanced sound, and I truly feel the A3 is a bit too v shaped and a bit dark sounding, with exaggerated bass.  The EX1000 has really good bass extension but it's not exaggerated, with a brighter sound, and I love its treble.  Sometimes the A3 sounded a bit fake/metallic/exaggerated to me in the treble, probably due to the balanced armatures.  EX1000 sounded more natural.  The A3 soundstage is really nice though. EX1000 is very similar in that regard.

I also planned to use whichever IEMs I kept as my work headphones, for that the EX1000 was the obvious winner (for me).  I might buy the A3 again in the future, they are really nice.

Jan 27, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #177 of 474
  I just got the A3 and they are rerally something. Bigger, deeper, yet cleaner and less bassy than the A2... anyone else experience this?

Nope, I found the A3 had more bass than A2.  But maybe it has alot to do with the source equipment used due to the hybrid design's impedance.

Jan 27, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #178 of 474
I just went through this recently.

I started with the XBA-A3 and liked it but thought it was a bit too bassy.  Comfort was great though.  Then bought the XBA-A2 to compare.  I thought it was better balanced throughout with a touch less bass than the A3, but less comfortable and it suffers from cable microphonics.  It was tough but I returned the A2 and kept the A3.

Then I found a good deal here on a slightly used EX1000.  I couldn't pass it up, I've wanted these for a long time but didn't want to buy new from Japan.  I listened to the A3 and EX1000 back to back for a couple weeks and ended up returning the A3.  That was a really tough decision lol!  The reason is because I prefer a more balanced sound, and I truly feel the A3 is a bit too v shaped and a bit dark sounding, with exaggerated bass.  The EX1000 has really good bass extension but it's not exaggerated, with a brighter sound, and I love its treble.  Sometimes the A3 sounded a bit fake/metallic/exaggerated to me in the treble, probably due to the balanced armatures.  EX1000 sounded more natural.  The A3 soundstage is really nice though. EX1000 is very similar in that regard.

I also planned to use whichever IEMs I kept as my work headphones, for that the EX1000 was the obvious winner (for me).  I might buy the A3 again in the future, they are really nice.

Amazing. Thank you for your reply. Exactly the comparison I was after. I went with my instincts and bought an EX1000 from a fellow head-fier. Hoping it arrives soon! I love the EX1000's treble, sub bass and it's neutral and natural presentation. I feel like the XBA series is more focused on mainstream music. I had the XBA H1 briefly and I could instantly tell that Sony lost its direction. Really wish they bring back the EX signature in the future.

Jan 28, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #179 of 474
The sony xba a3 is awesome, they do have the 800st and 7550 on sale but they don't mention that to find those cables is a mission, hawaii, has gone through some time to find them and they are not cheap,with the price of the xba a3 you get two cables, you get the same driver ,plus smooth highs and mids, from sony's best armature, their new flagship tweeters.

Jan 28, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #180 of 474
Never heard the TF10, but majority say UE900 > TF10. And the general consensus is that the A3 > UE900.

Guess it comes down to personal preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back