Sony XBA-A3 - Impressions Thread
Feb 5, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #196 of 474
Currently listening to my new purchased Handel Complete Harpsichord Music Boxset, The A3 givs proper body tot eh Harpsichord bass region and the high sprakly region that includes 4' (2' ) strings, plucking emchanoism and keyboard sliding noise... desíte the master is a bit Odd... its like some "background noise" was cut off ar 16KHz but till has "musical info" up to 22KHz

Feb 5, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #197 of 474
  can someone make a comparison between a3 and 300ap?

just bought a3 from sony centre and i need towait the stock to come
tongue.gif

I don't know if/how the Japanese 300 differs from the 300ap, but I was deciding between the 2 recently.
I ended up with the A3 because it had a nicer, deeper fuller bass. I really liked the 300 - it has an adequate nice punchy bass, but in comparison to the A3 it doesn't go as low. Overall the sound is a bit brighter, more treble focused, but in no way sibilant or too much - if I didn't have a leaning towards a more full, deep bass sound, and hadn't heard the A3 I would have happily gone with the 300. I found that trying to boost the bass on my Sony A15 had virtually no effect on the 300?!. Also the 300 is a lot smaller and can sit in a flatter more angled position in your ear.
I'm a total amateur and may not be able to express myself very well in my description - hope it can give you an idea of the difference though.

Feb 5, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #198 of 474
Thank you for replying me. I ended up with a3 also few hours ago (fully sponsor by my nice sister) :D
I prefer the bass of 300 but I found out a3 is a bit clearer in vocal(don't know because I am new too).
The problem now is a3 does not sit in my ear like 300 do and the isolation is not really good compared to 300.
I wonder is it because I didn't wear it properly or the tip size does not fit my ear.

Feb 5, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #199 of 474
For those having difficulties with the fit, I recommend wearing them flat and perpendicular to the ears. You'll get the best isolation and fit possible, at least from about 10 different ways that I've tried wearing them. This provide you the best bass output and clarity. Also, I would like to point out that a good isolation matters a lot, ear-tips and insertion.

You can also refer to Post#133 to know more about the insertion, and how some factors may affects the sq.
Post#66 For more pictures.

Feb 5, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #201 of 474
  I have a question about these?  How are these for walking/use outdoors?  I know they are bulky buds and I don't plan on using them for exercise/running but are they good for general use walking around/out and about?  Some specifics are how are the microphonics?  How is the isolation?  Are they bulky to the point of uncomfortable?  Are they durable?

Thank you for any help

I've been walking the dogs with these for a mile a day and they never move. I have not had any wind issues at all and I live in Chicago where it's always breezy. The right tips are a must. I first complained about the thinness of the cord, but the stock cord has given me zero microphonics. They do stick out of your ears, but the weight is negligible with the hook around the ears. I find them to be extremely comfortable, I've had them in for as much as three hours continuous and never found them to be annoying. As  far as durability, I've only had them a month, but they are still in perfect condition. I tried 3 other iem's before settling on these. The rha t20 sounded great, but didn't fit right. The dunu 2000j's were a little on the shrilly side to my ears. The v moda zn's were awkward and I didn't like the signature they produced. I couldn't be happier with these, seems every day they get a little better. Soundstage, separation, and detail are phenomenal.

Feb 5, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #202 of 474
Thank you for replying me. I ended up with a3 also few hours ago (fully sponsor by my nice sister) :D
I prefer the bass of 300 but I found out a3 is a bit clearer in vocal(don't know because I am new too).
The problem now is a3 does not sit in my ear like 300 do and the isolation is not really good compared to 300.
I wonder is it because I didn't wear it properly or the tip size does not fit my ear.

I think the big awkward design makes us try to angle them back so they don't stick out much, like previous Sony designs, but the fact is the best fit is with them sticking straight out of your ears.
I used Spiral dots tips with my previous iems and thought they would be great with the A3, but they don't sit well and keep falling out so I am using the supplied Sony tips. I was really concerned about isolation and a stable fit, but find the A3 to be excellent. Have a play with different tips and make sure the angle is straight (perpendicular) out and I'm sure you can find the ideal fit. After having so many issues with the Sennheiser IE80 these are a treat. I usually wear them over-ear, but if I'm lying down can get away with cable-down and they don't fall out.

Feb 7, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #203 of 474
Thank you guys for your help, the conflicting opinions on the wind noise are interesting lol.  Idk, I guess I will wait until the new Audio Technica E-40/50 series comes out and see what people say about them.  I really think I will like the sound of these Sony in ears, and the durability/isolation seems strong but the wind noise is worrying since these cost $250 at a minimum.  Thanks again!

Feb 7, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #204 of 474

Originally Posted by packersfan125 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I really think I will like the sound of these Sony in ears, and the durability/isolation seems strong but the wind noise is worrying since these cost $250 at a minimum.  Thanks again!

I am an Sony XBA-A3 owner and I have to say the isolation is below average, but not as terrible as like most earbuds though. I'd recommend to listen the A3 in a quiet room for best listening session. Yet I do not recommend cranking the volume up to compensate the lack of isolation. To my experience, it will exaggerate the treble harshness in upper-mid / low-treble section. This is from the ear of a treble-sensitive guy and take my comment with a grain or salt ( or with doubt) 
rolleyes.gif

*note - I do not modify my XBA-A3 at all and I use the stock tips, Sony Hybrids, medium sized

Speaking of wind noise, yes I do notice them only when I get to a windy place or running.

On the other hand, the only Sony earphones in my collection that offer excellent isolation ( but not as good as the A3) are the XBA-1 and XBA-20. Also I paid the former for $40 and latter for $90 in 2014.

Feb 8, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #207 of 474
I'll actually be in Hong Kong during the weekend, and if the A3s are indeed only 230USD I might go hunt for a pair. Are the A3s really that cheap now or is this some under-the-table deal?

Im really busy with my own things lately, im so sorry for not replying for so long.
The answer might not be relevant anymore, but yes, i bought mine at about 230USD, 1790 HKD to be exactly.
This is the link to the info of the pricing and the address to the shop in case u come visit Hong Kong again
http://m.price.com.hk/quote_details.php?p=177493&price=11030533&mc_id=680&src=N

Feb 8, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #209 of 474
Im really busy with my own things lately, im so sorry for not replying for so long.
The answer might not be relevant anymore, but yes, i bought mine at about 230USD, 1790 HKD to be exactly.
This is the link to the info of the pricing and the address to the shop in case u come visit Hong Kong again
http://m.price.com.hk/quote_details.php?p=177493&price=11030533&mc_id=680&src=N

brought mine for 800 ringgit malaysia.

Feb 8, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #210 of 474
Mobile rig. Happy with this setup for my morning commute. No issues and it was pretty windy this morning 

http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae138/subliminalaura1/20160208_113145_zpsnqn5ar19.jpg

Dear sir, i too use the x3k as my dap now ,as i drop my previous idea of using the phone as source and buy an amp.
I notice at really high frequency, it sounds really weird, but at the other sound stage, it sound perfectly fine,do you face the same problem? If you do, does the ha2 solve the problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back