Sony XBA-A3 - Impressions Thread
Mar 8, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #226 of 474

Finally got a good fit with spinfit mediums and spiral dots (medium and medium large) so I can now enjoy these!

Has anyone tried reterminating either of the stock cables to a balanced connector?

Hey, I saw your post on reddit :) Great impressions. 

You could check out the Sony MUC-M20BL1. It will fit perfectly with the A3.

One main thing you need to be careful about is that Sony has a locking mechanism on their MMCX connectors. If you are looking for an aftermarket cable then make sure you get the locking mechanism. Without the lock, the connectors will almost invariably fail.

The failure is only sony IEM problem or is also of shure and any other IEM that uses MMCX?

Mar 8, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #227 of 474

Hey, I saw your post on reddit :) Great impressions. 

You could check out the Sony MUC-M20BL1. It will fit perfectly with the A3.

One main thing you need to be careful about is that Sony has a locking mechanism on their MMCX connectors. If you are looking for an aftermarket cable then make sure you get the locking mechanism. Without the lock, the connectors will almost invariably fail.

Thanks!  I'm starting to like these more now that the fit is okay with Spinfit or Spiral dot mediums, but it's still not perfect in my right ear, they may hit the classifieds sooner or later.

Thanks, I've seen that cable, but I need 2.5mm TRRS for the Onkyo DP-x1.  I'm thinking about just chopping off the 3.5mm connector on one of the stock cables and putting on a 2.5mm, but was just curious if anyone else had tried.  I'll report back if I do it, but I need to decide if I want to keep these long term first, as fit in my right ear is only ok right now.

Mar 8, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #228 of 474
  The failure is only sony IEM problem or is also of shure and any other IEM that uses MMCX?

The failure is pertinent to every IEM that uses MMCX. Other's don't rotate as much as the Sonys (i.e. not as loose)

Mar 15, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #229 of 474
Today I arrive at work and my coworker who also likes classical music tells me ... uh? listening to classics on some smallish Schitty earbuds? (referring to my A3) and e pulls his Skullcandy crushers or so. and says Those are the kings I just LOL'ed
biggrin.gif

Schitty earbuds, yeah, look at them first 3-drivers, one high, one mids and one for bass... he didn't believe me ha!

so i switched back and forth between various epochs of classical music and the XBA-A3 really thrumps the crusers in everything, from bass quality and quantity, mids and ighs, Inner resolution and details.

Found the crushers to be harder to drive on my ZX100 and they ave this annoying echoey sound signature, every track i play has this tiled-bathhroom feeling like artifical reverb that mixes every frewuency together and this blend makes the inner resolution poof away

Also the XBA-A3 ave a fuller sound, the crushers had this similarity with my MDR-1R, too bright but not exaggerated, bass on the crusers i present but very faint doesn't kick like in the A3 (no-way the A3 are bass cannons in anyway, i found them to be pretty smooth)

My XBA-A3  produce the room reverb as recorded with no artifical things involved... aside the crushers were so uncomfortable very stiff pads with itchy stiching on te pleather. I think more than echoey the music sounds distant especially on vocals and trumpets, violins, don't know if they ave some highs or mid recessed but seems like so

A coworker who is a rock musician also told im these skullcandies are wortless HAHA

Apr 4, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #230 of 474
QUESTION

I've purchased a flight to Berlin to visit my German sweetie once again

This time i won't get bored on a 10hr flight, so i will bring my music and listen to it rather than see the typical in-flight movie

So question is I

1. In which flight stages i shall NEVER use IEMs?

A)take-off
B)Landing
C)during turbulence

2. I Shall remove them carefully (slowly) (during flight) or i can remove as i do on ground quickly and fast, "just pull the bud out" *pop* *pop* voila?

Apr 5, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #231 of 474
QUESTION

I've purchased a flight to Berlin to visit my German sweetie once again

This time i won't get bored on a 10hr flight, so i will bring my music and listen to it rather than see the typical in-flight movie

So question is I

1. In which flight stages i shall NEVER use IEMs?

A)take-off
B)Landing
C)during turbulence

2. I Shall remove them carefully (slowly) (during flight) or i can remove as i do on ground quickly and fast, "just pull the bud out" *pop* *pop* voila?

Hola,

my recommendation: don't take them out ever, as the XBA-A3 sound too sweet to pass on their stellar performance. The pressure changes anyway will "pop" only your eardrum and will not do any harm to the IEM. Just don't forget to yawn or take other measures for pressure compensation if you want to enjoy constant sound quality throughout climb and descent. It's only "inside" your eardrums (not in the outer ear canals) where the pressure change takes effect.

Myself, I'll fly from Seoul to Frankfurt tomorrow, and the only reason to omit the XBA-A3 are my noise cancelling Bose QC25 that are quite a revelation on any intercontinental flight.

Welcome to Germany, and have a good time in Berlin!

Apr 5, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #232 of 474
Hola,

my recommendation: don't take them out ever, as the XBA-A3 sound too sweet to pass on their stellar performance. The pressure changes anyway will "pop" only your eardrum and will not do any harm to the IEM. Just don't forget to yawn or take other measures for pressure compensation if you want to enjoy constant sound quality throughout climb and descent. It's only "inside" your eardrums (not in the outer ear canals) where the pressure change takes effect.

Myself, I'll fly from Seoul to Frankfurt tomorrow , and the only reason to omit the XBA-A3 are my noise cancelling Bose QC25 that are quite a revelation on any intercontinental flight.

Welcome to Germany, and have a good time in Berlin!

Thank you :), Actually i'll be in HH, taking the ICE for 19 euros... sorry for late reply, Busy doing tax-work on my forms as i need to declare my taxes in april is for mexico.

Yes I love my XBA-A3, stellar SQ, a coworker tried them (he has typical sheep beats by dr dre) and he was amazed by the bass quality and quantity as well as mids and ighs. I am enjoyimg Some Lidzt rhapsodies arranged for orchestra (reminds me of Tom and Jerry cartoons :D)

You are from Germany I Bet, nice, my best friend is from Hamburg, he is eager for my arrival, he told me he is counting the calendar days ... i tell him joking.. you'll be fossilized :p

I like amburg and Germany in overall a lot.

my recommendation: don't take them out ever, as the XBA-A3 sound too sweet to pass on their stellar performance -- I did this when i had my XBA-H3, i didn't take them out in the entire flight (2014) from Londont to Dallas and not even at the aiprort while waiting for my flight to Mexico.

A mexicn in Germany
ph34r.gif
 haha better than a mexican in the USA (ahem Trump), there is more fun in germany, lots to see and eat and ear (organ concerti, etc)

Apr 7, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #233 of 474
Hi guys,

I soon will join you with the sony A3.

It's a blind buy and I must admit I'm a bit nervous about it.

I paid 245€ at accessory jack and it's a fair price but at the same time I have a guilty feeling if it's not what I'm looking for.

What I'm looking for is a "big" sound comparable to a good full size headphones.

At the moment I have and like very much AKG K7XX and I enjoy them more than my previous sennheiser HD650.

I love the "definition" of the sound and AKG delivers just fine. Bass is not completely satisfying so after a lot of reading the sony sound signature is attractive to me. I want a lot af detail and a strong bass. I listen all kinds of music, pop, electronic, rock and classical.

I will use the A3 with my LG V10 phone with it's lovely ess sabre dac and I hope to reach if not the full potential, somewhere close.

I also own a Cayin C5 amp but I hope not need it in most situations.

I read in an amazon review the isolation is average. Does it mean in quiet environments people around you will hear the music?

I'm also a little bit worried about the Frankenstein look... But if the sound is gorgeous I can deal with it.

Just sharing my thoughts before getting the A3.

Regards, guys.

Apr 7, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #234 of 474
Hi guys,

What I'm looking for is a "big" sound comparable to a good full size headphones.

I read in an amazon review the isolation is average. Does it mean in quiet environments people around you will hear the music?

In my short experience with the A3, I though it had a big sound.  The average isolation just means you'll hear things happening around you, nobody will hear your IEMs.  I think I will own them again in the future.

Apr 7, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #235 of 474
Hi guys,

I paid 245€ at accessory jack and it's a fair price but at the same time I have a guilty feeling if it's not what I'm looking for.

At the moment I have and like very much AKG K7XX and I enjoy them more than my previous sennheiser HD650.

I love the "definition" of the sound and AKG delivers just fine. Bass is not completely satisfying so after a lot of reading the sony sound signature is attractive to me. I want a lot af detail and a strong bass. I listen all kinds of music, pop, electronic, rock and classical.

I will use the A3 with my LG V10 phone with it's lovely ess sabre dac and I hope to reach if not the full potential, somewhere close.

I'm also a little bit worried about the Frankenstein look... But if the sound is gorgeous I can deal with it.

Regards, guys.

Back when I bought my A3, I got it without even listening to it, just plain reading and research. and it came to me as one of the best decision I've made. Coming close are the Fidue A83 are Jvc fx-1100.

As for big sound, I can say that the Xba-A3 is one of the IEM I've heard that sounded like full cans.

Bass is prominent, the strongs are the clarity and soundstage, coupled with the bass brings a full-bodied sound. I'd recommend the Upgrade cable if you like dark and warm sound signature.

The A3's doesn't require as much power, so your LG would do the job. If you're into more bass and power, the headstage arrow amp is one of the great choices. The C5 is decent too, but portability wise and sound difference after pairing, I wouldn't quite recommend them.

The average isolation means that you'll probably hear outside noise while listening to music. In my experience, regular music at normal volume blocks out all sound, unless I'm playing like classical or soft music, that's when I can hear some outside noise. I wouldn't call it a con tho it doesn't affect the expeience with A3, and it allows awareness of your surrounding. Secondly, people will also hear your music because the A3 is sort of a 1/4 open earphone. There's a tiny hole at the side of the driver that allows air to travel in/out. Unlike other semi in-ear like the Dunu Titan 1 that is "really" open, where people can hear your music loud and clear, the A3 does great in keeping noise level as low as "closed-earphones", so unless you're listening at volume that kills your ears, people around you probably won't hear much of your music, perhaps only some tiny audio noise from a distance.

Well, as for frankenstein, i can't argue much. Butt..It sounded too good for me to even care about how it looks(I believe we all do). I'd say Frankenstein is liveable.

An early welcome to the franken community. 
beerchug.gif

Apr 8, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #236 of 474

Back when I bought my A3, I got it without even listening to it, just plain reading and research. and it came to me as one of the best decision I've made. Coming close are the Fidue A83 are Jvc fx-1100.

As for big sound, I can say that the Xba-A3 is one of the IEM I've heard that sounded like full cans.

Bass is prominent, the strongs are the clarity and soundstage, coupled with the bass brings a full-bodied sound. I'd recommend the Upgrade cable if you like dark and warm sound signature.

The A3's doesn't require as much power, so your LG would do the job. If you're into more bass and power, the headstage arrow amp is one of the great choices. The C5 is decent too, but portability wise and sound difference after pairing, I wouldn't quite recommend them.

The average isolation means that you'll probably hear outside noise while listening to music. In my experience, regular music at normal volume blocks out all sound, unless I'm playing like classical or soft music, that's when I can hear some outside noise. I wouldn't call it a con tho it doesn't affect the expeience with A3, and it allows awareness of your surrounding. Secondly, people will also hear your music because the A3 is sort of a 1/4 open earphone. There's a tiny hole at the side of the driver that allows air to travel in/out. Unlike other semi in-ear like the Dunu Titan 1 that is "really" open, where people can hear your music loud and clear, the A3 does great in keeping noise level as low as "closed-earphones", so unless you're listening at volume that kills your ears, people around you probably won't hear much of your music, perhaps only some tiny audio noise from a distance.

Well, as for frankenstein, i can't argue much. Butt..It sounded too good for me to even care about how it looks(I believe we all do). I'd say Frankenstein is liveable.

An early welcome to the franken community. 
beerchug.gif

I agree, I prefer the A3 over the FX1100.

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #237 of 474
Hi guys,

Regards, guys.

Hi and welcome

Hehehe I don't care if I look like frankenstein but yeah my dad told me i look like it
biggrin.gif

Soundwise they are the best I've owned for IEM, having previously way back only $20-$40 USD sony IEMs "entry level" and while they sound good, the A3 opened me to a new world of HI-FI, waaay bigger soundstage, lowly Lows very low and deep, while maintaining mids and Highs clarity, they do reveal micro-details.

Like     @Meth   I bought them blindly, just based on reviews and reserach... I come from the XBA-H3, also bought blind, and Is the one i regret, as they had some booming bass and muddy bass issues, wic in turn affected clarity. I was fearing the worst for the XBA-A3 but turned to be the best purchase ever made, I won't be replacing them anytime soon unless sony decides to jump the  Shure in-ear electrostatic train

EDIT:

In a quiet yeah on a quiet office environment i can hear easy noises and talks from other cowokers, note that they sound kind of muffled, but if they laugh hard or a phone rings is clear the A3 leak some noise from outside and this blends with your music. Already imagining they won't pass the ICE High speed train test, nor the A330 or Embraer E175 jet flight test and forget the Hambuger S- und U-Bahn test (Hamburg subway).

Next week i will swap the Hybrids for te sony foam filled hybrids and test them in the office to see how much noise the foam hybrids cut-off and decide wether shall I take my A3 in the Aibus or the ICE train

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #238 of 474
Thanks guys for the warm welcome in this "club".

I must say I'm in the search for a great IEM and stop there.

I tried with dunu (Titan 1 and DN1000) but I've never been too comfortable with them.

I use currently Chinese ostry kc06a and they are pretty good for the sub 100 price.

But I'm looking for something that let me forget my big AKG when I'm not home.

I will share my thoughts with you when I get them. My A3 have been shipped today.

Apr 17, 2016 at 6:44 AM Post #239 of 474
To me, the XBA-A3 has shown one particular quality that I haven't experienced with any of my previous 'buds: it makes me WANT to listen to music! I listen so much more frequently to my music since I've got these IEMs. It's always a pleasure, as they sound so overwhelmingly good and engaging. That alone was worth buying them...

Here's my take on the XBA-A3: http://www.head-fi.org/products/sony-xba-a3/reviews/15782

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #240 of 474
I consider purchasing them but i have to be sure that they outperform the Dunu Titan 1 or Dunu Titan 5. I would also like to know if these could be considered warm and / or non-fatiguing. I really love the Dunu Titan 5 but the XBA 3's really sparked my interest just because they consist of 3 drivers and i would love a bit more detail and soundstage compared to the Titan 5. I could get them for about 280€.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back