Sony XBA-A3 - Impressions Thread
Jan 15, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #121 of 474
Spiral dot for the win :cool:  The muc cable would require a proper Over-the-ear guide tho for perfect comfort. It's not that bad actually, they don't look bad or anything. At least what I tell myself is that they don't look as huge as wearing a headphone/on-ear. Plus the comfort + big sound covers for everything else :wink:

I personally hate over ear guides. The MUC for me is a big step up in the comfort department.

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #124 of 474
Jan 15, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #126 of 474
I have had the XBA-A3 since May 2015 and I love it - its sound signature is similar to Yamaha EPH-100 and the bassy JVC HA-FXZ200. I even prefer the XBA-A3 to DN-2000 - I find the latter is too analytical for daily listening. I listen the XBA-A3 straight to my Sansa Clip Sport and it just sounds so good. 

Its only drawback is sub-par isolation though. The FXZ200 isolates way better than the XBA-A3 although both have frankensteinic-design. I can only use its best potential when I am sitting in a quiet room / library.

I am surprised now there's the XBA-A3 impression thread. Subscribed and I will share my love to y'all campers when I have time.

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #129 of 474
  I have had the XBA-A3 since May 2015 and I love it - its sound signature is similar to Yamaha EPH-100 and the bassy JVC HA-FXZ200. I even prefer the XBA-A3 to DN-2000 - I find the latter is too analytical for daily listening. I listen the XBA-A3 straight to my Sansa Clip Sport and it just sounds so good. 

Its only drawback is sub-par isolation though. The FXZ200 isolates way better than the XBA-A3 although both have frankensteinic-design. I can only use its best potential when I am sitting in a quiet room / library.

I am surprised now there's the XBA-A3 impression thread. Subscribed and I will share my love to y'all campers when I have time.

Feel the same I feel my A3 to darn musical and beautiful, whereas my MDR-1R (sldo dony made) to be a tad too analytical and bright / midsy, i use the 1R's when i want to hear details from a bad record or instrument too soft like vion and Guitar sonatas of paganini (often feel the A3 end-up retrieven more microdetials than these 1R's at times)

How much burn in does xba a3 need before things smooth out

However long it takes for your brain to get used to them. (aka: endowment effect).

LOL

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #130 of 474
As I recall, I burned the XBA-A3 for approximately 40-50 hours ( 2 days) using Bass and Drum mix with 50% volume from my laptop. I found the bass became more enveloping but it did not soften the peaky treble, which tends to be harsh at some tracks. Furthermore, I use only the stock cable and the included Sony Hybrid tips, medium sized. I find the XBA-A3 does not need any 3rd party accessories like the cable and tips - they are good on their own.

I tried the JVC spiral tips on XBA-A3 but I still prefer the Sony Hybrid tips. The Spiral tips reduced the bass quantity; yet, it sharpened the peaky treble which disturbed me.

Jan 16, 2016 at 5:17 AM Post #131 of 474
I personally hate over ear guides. The MUC for me is a big step up in the comfort department.

I hate them too
redface.gif
 The only particular one I use is the one from "Fischer Audio" which I find to be a perfect comfort solution.

Jan 16, 2016 at 6:04 AM Post #133 of 474
Over the past few weeks, I've been experimenting with the A3 and have found that insertion do change the sound of the A3 "ALOT"(I can't stress it enough). This is actually the first time I'm experiencing this with IEMs. My theory is that when there's more airflow in between the ear canal, sound escapes through, which can/may change the sound signature completely. Difference differ from sounding dark/bright, Tight/Muddy-Bass, Open-sounding/closed-sounding, Higher freq vs lower freq.

Based on 2 Factors

How sounds actually travel into the ears (Angle, Distance, Rebound)
- The Angle in which is positioned to close off the distance, which affects the speed and how fast it takes for the sound to travel into the ears.
- If we see the ear canals as a maze, I think it would be easier to understand that when there's wall, sound rebounds creating echos, which creates a deeper field of sound perception. Creating an illusion of deeper depths/field and imaging.

Gaps between ear canals (Airflow, Isolation)
- When there's airflow, the first thing is that a more opening-sound is being created. We understand that from open-headphones or semi open headphone/IEM.
- The more/deeper Isolation, the more difficult it is for the sound to escape, which results in higher bass quantity. Cleaner sound as there's place for the sound to go except the ears which doesn't necessarily means it will be clear. In my experience, and opinion, when there's more sound escape, you're perceiving two channels, sound going in along with sound traveling out which may result in messier sound(sorry for the bad description).

For now, I usually listen to them at a "90° angle respect to the ear (perpendicular)" which I believe to produced the best amount of bass quantity, Vocals, and Depths.
Settings: Comfort 7.5/10, Tight isolation, no airflow in between ear canals
Result: Dark Sounding, Bassy, Full Bodied Sound, Clean highs, Deeper Depth(feels), Warm/Fun-Sounding.

Pointed at a higher angle 45° forward insertion.
Settings: Comfort 8.5/10, Tight isolation, believe to have a little airflow in the ear canals
Result: Bright sounding, Not-Bassy(may be perceived to have tigher bass), Open-sounding, Brighter highs, Cold/analytical sounding.

The reason why I did this is that I've read that people have very difference experience with these Sony IEMs when auditioning/reviewing and the reports really differs from each other. I believe the reason being for the change is due to the weight/ergonomic of these IEM. Making the fit experience very different from one another. I highly suggest people trying out difference ear-tips and insertion to get the best or desired sound from these IEM.

It would great to get some feedback/experience with the above settings.(I think it would be kinda interesting haha). Do feel free to voice out your opinion, if there's a huge change in sound etc or experienced/tested it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back