Sony XBA-A2 need help/opinion
Mar 9, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #211 of 233
The soundstage of 7550/800st is wider and they sound closer to open headphones than A2, A2 is more exact and the bass is tighter and more abundant but it may not go as low (subbass) as MDR 7550 and definitely not as low as EX1000. The mids on 7550 are more forward and warmer but the A2 is also very good in this area it is just a bit closer and more in front rather than all around like 7550 and 1000. A2's treble is more engaging than 7550 but not as clear as 1000. A2 is different iem not worse, it is quick, exact and fun where 7550 and 1000 is more natural but very capable iem with wide soundstage.

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #213 of 233
Having listened to the A2, A3 and EX1000 I have to agree with rlukash's findings.  I ended up returning the A2 and A3, and keeping the EX1000.  I wrote about my thoughts on them earlier in this thread and in another thread.  I will probably pick up the A3 again in the future.

Apr 9, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #215 of 233
Hmm this thread definitely has been rather eye-opening... I have been rather dead set on getting the A3 for myself for quite a while, the only thing holding me back being the price and the fact that my Alessandro MS2 have a rather similar sound signature with tape + pleather mods. I also had the H3 briefly but sold it due to me getting the MS2.
I never gave the A2 the time of day. I'll have to pop by the larger Sony stores to try the A2, A1 and XBA-300 some time soon.
Shame on the Sony salesman telling me to ignore the A2, telling me that the A3 will be significantly better "because it costs more". I think he really thought I was definitely going to get the A3 when I went to the store to demo it for a second time. :3

Apr 13, 2016 at 3:52 AM Post #216 of 233
Lucky you for getting inears to test. I still have to find a store in London where they would allow to test inears. 
However that didn't prevent me to take a risk and order the A2. I read some good things about A3, but at the moment I'm not confident on spending so much for inears. My A2's arrived yesterday and judging from the brief moment I tried them, it looks like I will be happy with them and won't look for anything else at the moment. They are the much needed upgrade from Pistons I was looking for.

Apr 13, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #217 of 233
Yup lucky me Singapore has a handful of stores where they have demo units available, though I tend to have to travel a fair bit to get to such places.
I have a friend who used to be in London and he too told me getting hold of electronics there is very difficult. Online is usually the easiest option, unfortunately. :/
The A3, I can tell you, has a very lively treble, very smooth mids and a thick bass. Based on this thread, the A2 seems like it's darker with less aggressive treble, so I guess if you like thick and dark sound in your IEMs you'll be very pleased with the A2.

I personally like the A3 a lot but don't tend to recommend it or bring it up because of its frankly exorbitant price. Sony isn't terrific with value for money and I tend to notice people in places with good Sony stores just waiting for big discounts. The H3 for example, went on 50% off when the A3 was announced. That made for a lot of happy people haha

Apr 17, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #218 of 233
Can someone who has listened to both the XBA-A2 and the Fidue A83 give any comparisons between the two since they are both triple driver hybrids and are priced similarly? 

Apr 17, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #219 of 233
i havent had a83 but can tell that a2 would be bassier with way less sparkle, a83 is more resolving lots more sparkle probably less bass. i would definitelly buy a83 but for same money i would probably buy flair audio and a dac
but hybrid drivers are definitelly interesting in sound but not nesesarily overall better. they tend to sound overengineered and lacking basic things like good bass, or detail etc which is strange if it has a few dinamics in it

Apr 17, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #220 of 233
I was set to "upgrade" from my XBA-A1 to the XBA-A2. I had the chance to directly compare the whole Sony XBA-A* lineup, and finally settled for the XBA-A3. The A2 is definitely an awesome IEM – until you compare it to its bigger brother.

To me, the XBA-A3 has shown one particular quality that I haven't experienced with any of my previous headphones: it makes me WANT to listen to music! I listen so much more frequently to my music since I've got these IEMs. It's always a pleasure, as they sound so overwhelmingly good and engaging. That alone was worth buying them...

Here's my take on the XBA-A3: http://www.head-fi.org/products/sony-xba-a3/reviews/15782

Apr 17, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #221 of 233
  I was set to "upgrade" from my XBA-A1 to the XBA-A2. I had the chance to directly compare the whole Sony XBA-A* lineup, and finally settled for the XBA-A3. The A2 is definitely an awesome IEM – until you compare it to its bigger brother.

To me, the XBA-A3 has shown one particular quality that I haven't experienced with any of my previous headphones: it makes me WANT to listen to music! I listen so much more frequently to my music since I've got these IEMs. It's always a pleasure, as they sound so overwhelmingly good and engaging. That alone was worth buying them...

Here's my take on the XBA-A3: http://www.head-fi.org/products/sony-xba-a3/reviews/15782

Hmm looks like a lot of your description on the A3 in your review lines up with my opinions on it.
So am I right to say you think the A2 has a more "consumer oriented" sound than the A3? If that's the case I may not actually need either the A2 or the A3 since I have headphones that can cover quite close what the two earphones do. Will still give the XBA line a try again though. I do like the the direction Sony went with the earphones' sounds.
Probably wouldn't end up buying though. Probably...

Apr 18, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #222 of 233
Hmm looks like a lot of your description on the A3 in your review lines up with my opinions on it.
So am I right to say you think the A2 has a more "consumer oriented" sound than the A3? If that's the case I may not actually need either the A2 or the A3 since I have headphones that can cover quite close what the two earphones do. Will still give the XBA line a try again though. I do like the the direction Sony went with the earphones' sounds.
Probably wouldn't end up buying though. Probably...

Yes, both IEMs have a V-shaped signature with slightly elevated bass and treble, but overall I'd consider them still being quite neutral. I think, the XBA-A2 and A3 play pop music so well, because they are fast and precise. Thing is, that they also shine with a wide range of other musical styles: Jazz and acoustic music sound excellent, too. Thus, I wouldn't go so far to call the sound "consumer oriented". I found the XBA-A2 a bit more "aggressive" than the A3, which initially is actually quite appealing. I'd compare it to a radio station that sends a compressed signal and so appears louder and crisper, but that compression sure sucks over longer time. At least these IEMs are not "consumer oriented" like i.e. Sennheiser's Momentum in-ear, which are more obviously "tuned" towards consumer appeal.

Apr 19, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #223 of 233
Yes, both IEMs have a V-shaped signature with slightly elevated bass and treble, but overall I'd consider them still being quite neutral. I think, the XBA-A2 and A3 play pop music so well, because they are fast and precise. Thing is, that they also shine with a wide range of other musical styles: Jazz and acoustic music sound excellent, too. Thus, I wouldn't go so far to call the sound "consumer oriented". I found the XBA-A2 a bit more "aggressive" than the A3, which initially is actually quite appealing. I'd compare it to a radio station that sends a compressed signal and so appears louder and crisper, but that compression sure sucks over longer time. At least these IEMs are not "consumer oriented" like i.e. Sennheiser's Momentum in-ear, which are more obviously "tuned" towards consumer appeal.

Hmm if I'm intepreting your description correctly then perhaps the A2 has a less refined treble with some treble spikes here and there. I'll take note of that, because I'm quite sensitive to peaky treble.
Anyway thanks for your descriptions, I have definitely bumped up the A2 to near the top of my to-demo list. Bless the Sony salesman who has to deal with me soon.
Every time I'm there I stay for 30 minutes to an hour, heh

Apr 19, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #224 of 233
It's my last day here in Tokyo and grabbed these awesome iem's. I basically saw hawaiibadboy YouTube.

I will refrain what he said.. I spend ridiculous time. I even went on higher price categories and I kept coming back with the A2's. For my taste compare to A3 i dont hear a lot of difference. and H5 my god too much money..

I got them if I convert to USD is $199 flat.

Amazon right now is $249 plus tax.

My flight in 7hrs going back to CT and I can't stop listening to them!!!

Apr 19, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #225 of 233
It's my last day here in Tokyo and grabbed these awesome iem's. I basically saw hawaiibadboy YouTube.

I will refrain what he said.. I spend ridiculous time. I even went on higher price categories and I kept coming back with the A2's. For my taste compare to A3 i dont hear a lot of difference. and H5 my god too much money..

I got them if I convert to USD is $199 flat.

Amazon right now is $249 plus tax.

My flight in 7hrs going back to CT and I can't stop listening to them!!!

I think some people have mentioned earlier in this thread that the A2 has a better performance to price value than the A3 and Z5.  Although the A3 or Z5 is arguably better sounding, they are extremely expensive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back