Sony XBA-4 : modification lead me to heaven
May 17, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #31 of 42
Just tried this on the XBA 40s.  That "muddy" sound does go away.  There is more detail to every instrument while keeping every note "full".  It does make them sound a bit more analytically as you does sound like there is a boost in treble, but the different is more due to removing a filter, not because you did some equalizer shift like some of the people on here are trying to make it sound like.  Completely different story.  I do notice the bass has less of an impact, but it "fixes" these headphones.  There was so much "bleed" into the mid-range and weak detail.  This sure improves upon that.  You can throw the foam back in if you want to afterwards.  It is reversible.

Do note the foams are glued in.

May 18, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #32 of 42
I'm a XBA-40 user. 

I've just done the same modification --- removing the sponge filters. 
(You can easily remove the filter with a needle or something similar.)

I understand some people expressing skepticism and worries about this suggestion. Some might want to be a moderate reviewer rather than a radical one.  

But I know that these people DO NOT know how this giant earphones COULD sound without the stupid filters. 

This modification is absolutely recommendable. No, it's more than that. It's something you must do. 

Ok, people have different auditorial tastes and you might want to support the truism that the success of this sort of modification is relative to each user.

Wrong. 

It's not just about highs or mids or anything. This is about clarity and resolution of every frequency level.

Do you hate increasing clarity? Then don't do it. Don't do it and remove your ear drums instead. 

May 18, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #33 of 42
Exactly. These filters are far too thick and complex to act as an acoustic modular but rather an acustic dampener. What sounded like you were under water to what now sounds like an er 4s with much more body is quite the difference.

May 20, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #35 of 42
So what's the downside of removing the foam? Does it make the earphones susceptible to small objects/dust?

If it's glued, that means the reverse process won't be as good, and possibly reinserting the foam too far in.

May 20, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #36 of 42
  So what's the downside of removing the foam? Does it make the earphones susceptible to small objects/dust?

If it's glued, that means the reverse process won't be as good, and possibly reinserting the foam too far in.

Yep. Your ear wax may happen to go with it, but if you never have those kind of issue, this mod should be fine. The glue isn't very sticky; didn't take much for me to take it out and clean it. 

May 20, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #37 of 42
Acoustic dampers e.g. the foam commonly found in nozzles are designed to smooth peaks in the treble at the expense of overall treble level. 
Removing the foam increases treble and reintroduces these peaks, which are often mistaken for 'detail'.

Sep 4, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #39 of 42
Having done this myself to the xba40, i can say that the difference is not as big as some have made it out to be.
  Acoustic dampers e.g. the foam commonly found in nozzles are designed to smooth peaks in the treble at the expense of overall treble level. 
Removing the foam increases treble and reintroduces these peaks, which are often mistaken for 'detail'.

This is what the foam does here, makes the highs very smooth. The thing is, the xba40 is very smooth to begin with so the little added "detail" can be welcome.

Oct 11, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #40 of 42
i have the xba- ii which sound a little muddy...i pulled out the grey foam and now the sound is more alive. Nothing spectacular but it is better, it is a change i can understand. Highs are a little more detailed and more in quantity. Bass is not affected as it is huge no matter what change you make...so i agree that removing the foam is something recommended and of course does not affect the construction of the rest iem...

Mar 9, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #41 of 42
Just tried this on the XBA 40s.  That "muddy" sound does go away.  There is more detail to every instrument while keeping every note "full".  It does make them sound a bit more analytically as you does sound like there is a boost in treble, but the different is more due to removing a filter, not because you did some equalizer shift like some of the people on here are trying to make it sound like.  Completely different story.  I do notice the bass has less of an impact, but it "fixes" these headphones.  There was so much "bleed" into the mid-range and weak detail.  This sure improves upon that.  You can throw the foam back in if you want to afterwards.  It is reversible.

This just sold us on these ! Thanks everyone !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back