Sony XBA 3SL/4SL (and why I bought the 3SL instead of the 4SL) Impressions
Dec 14, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #16 of 65
cold and bassy... theres something i have never stumbled upon. most bassy phones are warm and cold ones are bass light. very interesting 

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #17 of 65
uhhhh

I would say more like dark signature! because as I said, the mids and highs are very clear too and the bass is still tight.

But definetly more basshead than the 3SL and much more than the SE535. but still not as strong as the PRO700MK2 or the cks90 (sorry, the only two basshead headphones that I have some experience listening)

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #18 of 65
I think maybe my definition of "cold" was more related to the IEM being analitical....I cant associate very well the term warm and cold like people here use, especially because I associate sound with light, and the low frequency light is blue....so in my instincts, bass=blue=cold and high=red=warm....

I think that I would enjoy it more if the mids had the same clearness with a little bit more lower response

uhh I will try to summirize better, the 4SL for me is a flat response IEM + a "dark cloud"

Dec 14, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #19 of 65
Well comparing IEM to full sized can is a bit unfair don't you think?
Sounds to me that it has clear and punchy bass with clear highs and better-than-semi-clear mids(?).
As this is just a matter of one's opinion does anyone have graphs for the XBA-4's "performance"?

Dec 14, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #20 of 65
Are there any versions of the XBA series without the J cable? I have the EX300 with the J cable and I don't like it at all.

Dec 16, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #22 of 65
I joined because I thought I had something to say that might be helpful to someone, because I surely could have done with this advice. I went out and bought the 4sl after listening to the 3sl at a recent show here in Japan (some hog on the 4sl and not enough time), loved the 3sl so much and thought the 4sl might have more to offer (my mistake). One week later I went back to Yodobashi (live in Japan) and bought the 3sl. Now I am happy, but have to live with myself for wasting 22,000 yen on the 4sl. My reference IEMs are the SE535s which I enjoy very much, however I was so captivated by how much the 3sl engaged me at the show, I was sure the 4sl would challenge the SE535. Not the case. I am so enthralled by the 3sl that it's my go to above the SE535 this past two weeks. Reason: mid range is so full and detailed and bass is complete, not as detailed as the 4sl, but for my music that's perfect (Floyd, Broken Social Scene, The Cinematic Orchestra). High band on the 3sl is also not as detailed as the 4sl, but much less obvious and tiring. Perfect. What troubled me with the 4sl was a glare across the mid range that annoyed me to distraction. I found relief on string and instrumentals where the 4sl excelled, so much detail in the low and high, but that was it. Vocals on the 4sl made me feel like I was on the second tier at a second rate concert. My thoughts only. If you are considering buying the 4sl,.. AUDITION FIRST!  3sl... I love you... and for that price my wife can have one too.

Dec 16, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #24 of 65
@Rip N' Burn the IP version doesn't have the j cable...
haha i got my xba-4s a week ago...wrote a review too since i figured there wasn't any actual reviews on the 4s :D but digital analog you beat me to it!

Dec 16, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #25 of 65
Thanks! Looks like I will getting a new Sony iem pretty soon but I can't decide between the XBA-3 or XBA-4. Too bad there isn't a place near me where I can audition them.

Quote:
@Rip N' Burn the IP version doesn't have the j cable...
haha i got my xba-4s a week ago...wrote a review too since i figured there wasn't any actual reviews on the 4s :D but digital analog you beat me to it!

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #27 of 65
Since I dont know why, the stock sony stock eartip (and the Monster and Jays stock eartip too) makes a very painful pressure in my right ear when I put it, I just bought today comply foams to my 3SL! Realized that since the eartip is the same as the EX500, the T-200 would fit well, and voila! perfect fit!

Didnt hear that much actually, but my first impressions of the 3SL with the comply foam are pretty obvious, better isolation, more confort, no painful pressure and a slighty more tight and controlled bass. 

Maybe the 4SL can improve more than the 3SL with a comply foam! I researched and in yodobashi and amazon.co.jp they are the same price, 2000 ienes the 3 pair pack.

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #28 of 65
forgot the picture

Dec 21, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #29 of 65
may I ask how many hours of burn in spend when you tested it?

Because I tested it in sony store nagoya last week, and I have to say that the 3SL got darker SQ, and 4SL is more balanced

I tested a demo unit which god knows how many hours has it spent tho

Dec 21, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #30 of 65

Quote:
may I ask how many hours of burn in spend when you tested it?

Because I tested it in sony store nagoya last week, and I have to say that the 3SL got darker SQ, and 4SL is more balanced

I tested a demo unit which god knows how many hours has it spent tho

Uhhh the first time i heard it in yodobashi yokohama i had the impression that the 4 sl was more clear too! I understand what u mean! But i think that, in my case, it was because the ear tip wasnt the right size!

But i didnt burn in in mine, maybe it will change! I will post any noticeble changes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back