Sony XB500 vs. Audio Technica PRO700MK2
Jan 8, 2012 at 6:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

supbrowawawa

Head-Fier
Out of curiosity, does anyone own these 2 headphones? If so, what are your thoughts on them in comparison.

The reason I am asking is because these 2 headphones are supposed to be the top dogs of bass.

Jan 9, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #2 of 5
deadhorse.gif

Jan 9, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
Have you had experiance with both? Care to go into further detail?

Yup I have, and sure.

XB500s really dont have anything more than just pure quantity. They dont have a deep bass, nor do they come in 500 Hz of flavours (mind you, it doesnt suffer from the "one note beat" syndrome), but god, they will rattle your head and make you feel like a mess after. It's a guilty pleasure with the right song. If you play classical or anything on them it's a definite waste, they were made to be quantity subwoofers strapped to your skull. If you arent into rap, dubstep, or anything with dominant bass, then dont get em.

The Pro700s have a lot more depth and quality in their bass. Powerful still, but not so much quantity. The high's and mids are much more listenable than the XB500s (which they seemed to drown in a pool of bass in the 500s), but really, the 700s still have a powerful bass hit and impact, they have very deep, impactful, enjoyable bass, yes there is still a nice bit of quantity, but the XB500 beats out every headphone I've ever listened to in quantity.

It's a hot mess the XB500s, enjoyable, but god it's muddy, messy, and just plain makes you feel like you have several phones stuck on rumble strapped to your face. Some people love it to death, and I gotta admit, I had lots of fun with the listening experience i had with them, but the Pro700s just have a lot more meaning to them and more quality.

In very simple terms that any male would understand :wink:

XB500s = That hot easy chick that everyone has fun with and knows likes to be used. Great and fun, but not for life. Just unbearably messy and untame for life (for most people atleast... UNless your niche is quantity basss... Which very few people do have that niche)

Pro700s = Gorgeous, deep, interesting girl that you would probably be more interested in marrying. Will she make your face rattle off every night? No. Will you still enjoy it every time and never get bored of it or sick of the untameness like you would with the XB500s? Hell yeah.

I'm personally more partial to the 700s, unless quantity bass is your calling. Then grab a XB500, a ZO2 (or ZO), smack the bass boost up, and go have fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back