Sony xb 700 mod
May 12, 2011 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Dobrescu George

Reviewer: AudiophileHeaven
this is a very dangerous thing, and i do really not consider it being done by anyone... so, let's get started.... 

i will post explanations, with photos, only, and only if there are 15 people that do want to mod their xb700.....

to be certain, this mod adds some sub bass, adds some clarity. adds vocals, and adds highs.... this mod makes the xb7000 sound like.... hm..... better than sennheiser!.... this is pretty enough!.....

i still need 15 persons to post in here that they do want the mod, and one to send me a PM how to add photos..... i am a noob!,...

absolute every vredit goes to, first nescafe (for making me stay up until 9AM, the time i finished the mods, they are pretty time taking).... and to billavideo.... this is the guy who knows how to do a thing.... from him i learned.... so as he is my master, only he knows why this mod even exists.....

May 12, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #3 of 27
Rather than waiting for fifteen people, couldn't you just post it so that anyone googling the mod sees it? And the xb700 + even more sub bass =/= "better than sennheiser", just a different sound. Also, essentially what your saying is that it adds a little more everything, e.g. makes it louder. Perhaps it enhances the clarity which i presume would be rather poor anyway based on the headroom graphs. Yes, they fail to capture certain characteristics of the sound, but yes, they give you a good enough idea. Anyway, you post a picture by clicking the "picture" icon on the top toolbar, there are white rectangular shaped boxes containing logos. The "picture" is the first logo in the eighth, just look for it, click it, click upload, and find your files.

May 12, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #4 of 27

Quote:
to be certain, this mod adds some sub bass, adds some clarity. adds vocals, and adds highs.... 

I also know of such mod, it's called EQing. :p You'd be suprised how good my XB500 sounds like after EQing on this high quality hardware EQ. All acoustic instruments sounds so real-life like, even better than I was able to get M50 to sound like. Software EQs usually colors/distorts/hurts frequencies too much though, hardware EQs is a whole different thing though, at least the one I use, it only strengthens or decreases the frequencies in amplitude and nothing more.

May 13, 2011 at 4:08 AM Post #5 of 27
just stop it, all of you... this mod must be tried before thinking what it adds.... i can say that it adds the details that these cans loose... in fact, if you do it, it just may improove them so much that they will sound more detailed than sennheiser... this is what i was speaking about....now... i posted that thing about 15 people, just for fun, thre is the part that i am having problems with.... how the fux do i add photos to my posts?.... i mean, really how, because i cannot seem to understand, from where do i post a picture....

and, yes, this mod applies to any xb series, but fros smaller ones, it is compliquated... because u have to use a screwdriver, and the smaller the can is, the more dirty will be your job.... anyway, resoults will come out the same - gaining the details you have never heard before.....  i mean the details you were not able to hear with xb700!....

last night i finished my pair of sennheiser hd380pro, and they are un-moddable.... the driver is sick!...

oh! i found the tab for adding photos....!... sorry but, i am very sleepy.... so.... after 10-12 hours (my school time) i will post the entire mod of them.....

credits @ bilavideo...

May 13, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #6 of 27
The XB700 certainly does not need any more sub-bass. It needs correction of those two valleys in the midrange response, and a decent soundstage.

But I'm very eager to find out what you've come up with.

May 13, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #7 of 27
I already gave you a detailed explanation of where the "add pictures" button is, eigth white box, first icon, its a picture of a house with a sun on the upper left. anyway, "more detailed than sennheiser" is kind of a pointless description, the xb700 should be more detailed than the 201 out of the box, but the hd800? doubt it, so this raises the question, which sennheiser? Also, detail, to my understanding, comes from transient response, to a lesser degree, harmonic distortion, and to a much lesser degree, the tonal balance. If you have such a bass heavy can as the xb700, inevitably, some of the detail in the rest of the spectrum will be masked by the bass.

Anyway, if you would so kindly post the mod, we could see how much this really does change, and how they really do stack up against the senns, interestingly enough, i have a pair of 595, and i have a friend who just got the xb700, so if he would let me mod them, we could do an ABX test.

May 13, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #8 of 27
The suspense is killing me :)

May 13, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #11 of 27
I question why you want 15 people be interested in the mod before you post instructions on how to perform it. Shouldn't one interested XB 700 owner be enough? What's the point in posting that you have a mod that supposedly makes the XB 700 sound "better than sennheiser" if you won't explain how to perform the mod? What do you stand to gain with 15 interested people that 1 interested person doesn't give you? I assumed the purpose of even starting this thread was to help anyone who might be interested in modding their XB 700.

I opened this thread in hopes of learning something new. Instead, all I got was "Hey guys. I have this awesome mod. But I won't tell you how to do it. Unless 15 people explicitly tell me they want to know how to do it."

Sorry if this comes off as a bit harsh, but c'mon. Really now?

May 13, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #13 of 27
ok, i posted that, to see if anyone has even the last drop of interest in this.... MY 500 POST!,... YAY!....

ok, i finished making the pictures, and editing them (make them smaller, and the issue, that my headphones are already modified, i have to make them look like the originals.....
let's beggin... you will need a screwdriver, an needle, and some crazy dirty mind.... take your headphones... they should look like this:

now, take your hands, push the pads, and search for screws... look, there should be two toghetter... the others are alone, and two are one next to other....

un screw, only the upper one, it should look like this: 

it has somwthing that makes it be the upper one... take it out, after rotate the pads from left to right (it's very easy, you should do it with your hands, if it comes hard, try to take out another screw)...
this is the pads screw, remember it's position, when you will put them back, it will matter....

after this, you will get this...

i made some pictures, there are 3 screws remaining, take them out, don;t be scared... this will just take the driver part out of the coup....

you will get something like:

yes, paint editing, because you will have a piece of paper, where i have maked white tag.... now, listen very careful.... all the mod stands in removing this piece of paper... i used an needle, and my nails,... you can try to use anything.... it has to be removed.... after removing, you will get something like....

now, put them back togheter, and here you have your new - better than everything lower than sennheiser hd600, headphones....

do you want to know why?... the sunds, that come out of the driver, are limited to come out by that piece of paper... why?... it prevents dusting, it makes xb700, have some un-clear sound, that makes the bass look bigger... after this, you will have an even strong sub sonic bass, and voices, and instruments, everything....
have care to not brake the wires... that are the wires to the driver,.... be very careful....anything else?.... i think i came out clear enought.....

just put all of them back togheter...  i recomend scratching the black plastic on the driver holder, to know where is down, and where is up... you may have a little problem with putting back the pads.... they have to be put, where the screws are missing... after you put back the driver, in one place, remain two holes for screws.... just put the first screw in the hole that is onnected to the metal part of the headphone.... the other one, remains empty, and when you put the pads back, you must screw them togheter.... and the next driver is the same thing....

May 13, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #14 of 27
Awesome thanks for posting, I might open up my xb500 to see if it's a similar mod. I can definitely use more clarity from them.

May 13, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:
now, put them back togheter, and here you have your new - better than everything lower than sennheiser hd600, headphones....

LOL silly. Not only has this mod been done before, did it to mine over a year ago, but it doesn't make that much of a difference... they don't come anywhere near a HD600 or it's cheaper siblings. Sony XB will always be a fart canon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back