Sony X Series Walkman, COWON S9, Apple iPod touch 2G, SanDisk Sansa Fuze Impressions with the Shure E500 / SE530
Nov 6, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #181 of 278
Which player (X, S9, Touch) would be recommend for pairing with Sennheiser IE8s?

Currently using my IE8s with iPod 5.5 gen and whilt it sounds good, the highs sound a little harsh and mids a little dull (mainly listen to metal).

Which would be best?

Nov 6, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #183 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjsoviet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did I say something wrong?

JJsoviet...I hope you understand our comments.
We certainly don't mean to offend you!

If you don't get it please PM me!

wink.gif

Nov 7, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #185 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by thathertz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JJsoviet...I hope you understand our comments.
We certainly don't mean to offend you!

If you don't get it please PM me!

wink.gif

I get it now. ...make it hard for me to choose... right?
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Nov 7, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #186 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by titaniumx3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which player (X, S9, Touch) would be recommend for pairing with Sennheiser IE8s?

Currently using my IE8s with iPod 5.5 gen and whilt it sounds good, the highs sound a little harsh and mids a little dull (mainly listen to metal).

Which would be best?

This is a tough one -

1. The S9 supports FLAC natively, and the Touch supports ALAC : both lossless formats. This is a huge plus - I use WAV or LAME VBR on my X, but would prefer FLAC. In any case, dont settle for anything less than 32GB, and that means $$$

2. If the S9 has a better digital amp than the X, this is the first I've heard of it. The S9 has received consistently good reviews, but the X has the best amp of any portable I have heard.

3. I like the sound of the 3G Touch, but I spent a very short time with it. I have a Cowon iAudio7, several Samsungs, the 160GB Classic and another Sony - nothing sounds as good to my ears as the X. If you can audition any of these players, go for it - I expect that any of them will make you very happy.

(JJSoviet, dont sweat it - native English speakers routinely manage far worse. I know only too well how easy it is to mangle a sentence inadvertently.....)

Nov 7, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #187 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana1000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great thread!Especially since i have the S9.And the few S9 doubters,are the ones that don't have one.It has very strong bass.Fantastic with my HFI-580s and my ALO Mini^3.You have to play around with the EQ to get the sound you want.I finally have the perfect settings.Good highs,fantastic mids,great bass and awesome sound stage.And after firmware upgrades,the sound got even better.Here are my perfect settings(IMO). EQ- 0 1 0 2 3 .(All wide!)BBE 10 ,Mach3Bass 2 or 3(preference),MP on ,3D Surround-off ,Stereo Enhance 6,Reverb-off.With these settings every song sounds right.Especially for the "bass heads"!I and many others initially thought that higher bass settings will produce more and better bass.But it is the almost the opposite at least in the equalizer as shown with my settings.Cowon IMO have the best settable sound enhancements.Especially the S9.
happy_face1.gif

And the Future Sonic Atrios have an amazing synergy with the S9.Rock and electronic music sounds fantastic with them.STP,Mettalica,SOAD,NIN....Anything that is supposed to have big powerful percussion and epic or majestic soundstaging. Perfect combination!Oh, i forgot to mention the breath taking video playback.And the scratch proof screen.I know i sound like a Cowon salesman.But i'm really just expressing my satisfaction and telling my view of this great player.All that is missing is a better user interface design(which apple is best for),and it would be perfect.

Nov 8, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #188 of 278
I like to add that the S9 has some amazing custom UI's. My definite favorite is the Cube Browser Total UI. Not only does it make the browser for music sleeker and more eye candy, it also makes the scrolling more responsive and gives you extra options to tweak the browser (a big one is the choice of one touch clicking).

Nov 8, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #189 of 278
Hi,IMO you have to turn say DSEE off,BBE etc,if you want to compare sound quality of a MP3 Player.Others will feel different & quite rightly.
Maybe iv'e been in Home HiFi forums too long thou
o2smile.gif
,heads turn if you mention a Bass Boost button,never mind a equalizer,SW enhancement.
Even thou these Portable MP3 Player's are expensive & the Headphones to go with them.If need be i would use the equalizer
dt880smile.png
,if i can find a match that dosn't need it,well IMO thats better.

Cheers BOB

Nov 9, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #191 of 278
For those in the UK wanting to pick up a Sony X1050 John Leiws have £50 off at the moment, i picked one up at the weekend for £149.95 (16gb).

Couldn't say no at that price....

They are sold out online but you can pick up in store.

biggrin.gif

Nov 13, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #192 of 278
I decided to go with the cowon s9. Flac support was the thing that swayed me. I tried my friend's s9 and was impressed with it. I plan to mod my UI though with the aero ultimate g1 mod.

I'm using senn ie8. I think I'm one of the few that didn't go with sony/ie8 combo.
ph34r.gif

Nov 13, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #193 of 278
Will the S9 or X have good synergy with portable cans? You guys seem to only have IEM's for use with them.

BTW, I tried the Sony S series Walkman and it was fantastic. Clear mids, sparkling highs, deep bass and more forward presentation than my iPod with LOD. In comparison to the S, the Classic sounded more harsh, with piercing highs and more anemic bass. Overall, I love the Sony sound. Now for the Cowon, I need to find test units...
L3000.gif

Nov 13, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #194 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjsoviet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will the S9 or X have good synergy with portable cans? You guys seem to only have IEM's for use with them.

We do ? Thats it - I'm going home tonite and burning every pair of fullsize cans in my sig, along with the ES7s I was going to give my GF : clearly, I've had it all wrong for several months !

Nov 13, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #195 of 278
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We do ? Thats it - I'm going home tonite and burning every pair of fullsize cans in my sig, along with the ES7s I was going to give my GF : clearly, I've had it all wrong for several months !

LOL!!1! I see what you did there.
dt880smile.png

Nah, I said that because most of you pair up DAP's with IEM's, but maybe I stretched it too far though.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back