SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
Jun 12, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #1,951 of 2,082
with android, if we use the EQ it will switch to SBC only. i don't really mind though, better to have EQ and SBC than having LDAC but have to stuck with the stock sound

luckily after this last update it seems the midbass boom sounds a bit lighter, so now the non EQd sound doesn't bother me too much.
i use LDAC and EQ using Wavelet now with the WHXM3 (and also most of my other BT TWS and headphones)

Maybe the issue is LDAC vs. ACC instead of Android vs. iPhone; i.e., LDAC connection is not possible with EQ on but ACC and SBC can work.

Jun 12, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #1,952 of 2,082
Maybe the issue is LDAC vs. ACC instead of Android vs. iPhone; i.e., LDAC connection is not possible with EQ on but ACC and SBC can work.

LDAC with eq is possible; the radsone es100 Bluetooth dac/amp allows you to eq with LDAC

Jun 12, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #1,953 of 2,082
Radsone doesn't use an app or if it does its app allows EQ. Sony on the other hand has chosen to not allow EQ in the Sony app if using LDAC. That doesn't mean I can't use an EQ in another app though so I like using Neutron as a music player for those circumstances.

But for me I ended up going to the Sony 910N because I find it's way more balanced sounding with more detail. Its ANC is not quite as good but that's OK by me as that's my secondary or lower requirement.

Jun 14, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #1,955 of 2,082
Dunno if this has been discussed, but i just got these headphones and i was thinking that when using them cabled with my x3ii it'd be a good idea to use the line out instead of the hp out whith the headphones powered on, right?

Jun 14, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #1,956 of 2,082
Dunno if this has been discussed, but i just got these headphones and i was thinking that when using them cabled with my x3ii it'd be a good idea to use the line out instead of the hp out whith the headphones powered on, right?
What is HP out?

Jun 14, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #1,958 of 2,082
What is HP out?
Headphone out plug that is controlled by volume control knob, buttons, touch, etc.. line out is usually a set volume at a high level used to output a high volume level or output voltage to an Amp. Sometimes the line out-put devices is a dedicated DAC with no analog volume control with a fixed volume or voltage level.

Headphone out however may have an attenuator in the path for the volume control to reduce the volume. If the attenuation is software or digital, there won't be much of a difference. Analog however would reduce dynamuc range, but may not be significant enough for ear to notice.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #1,959 of 2,082
Headphone out plug that is controlled by volume control knob, buttons, touch, etc.. line out is usually a set volume at a high level used to output a high volume level or output voltage to a DAC. Sometimes the line out-put devices is a dedicated DAC with no analog volume control with a fixed volume or voltage level.

Headphone out however may have an attenuator in the path for the volume control to reduce the volume. If the attenuation is software or digital, there won't be much of a difference. Analog however would reduce dynamuc range, but may not be significant enough for ear to notice.
Unless I’m blind, mine didn’t come with that stock cable. Is that one to buy separately? If it helps improve the sound, I would be all in for it

Jun 14, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #1,960 of 2,082
Unless I’m blind, mine didn’t come with that stock cable. Is that one to buy separately? If it helps improve the sound, I would be all in for it
If bought brand new, it should have. It's only necessary if you use a source you need to plug into like a PC without BT, or for flights that use analog puggable HP out. So, in situations BT is not an option, it's useful to have.

However, it will not improve SQ. The heasphone will run passive, or turned off, but will sound really weird tonally. You have to have it on because there is a custom EQ active.

Either way, turned on, plugged or using BT, there isn't a difference in SQ.

Jun 14, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #1,961 of 2,082
If bought brand new, it should have. It's only necessary if you use a source you need to plug into like a PC without BT, or for flights that use analog puggable HP out. So, in situations BT is not an option, it's useful to have.

However, it will not improve SQ. The heasphone will run passive, or turned off, but will sound really weird tonally. You have to have it on because there is a custom EQ active.

Either way, turned on, plugged or using BT, there isn't a difference in SQ.
Sounds like the airplane adapter. I have that. Otherwise looking at my box, no other items inside. Thanks for the feedback

Jun 14, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #1,962 of 2,082
The headphones come with the usb to type c cable, the ariplane adaptor, and a 1m aux cable to use the headphones cabled. It all should have been neatly packed in the pockets inside the carrying case.

No, use the HP out
But why? even when cabled, if the headphones are turned on they're using the bult-in amp, so by using the line out i can avoid double amping, while saving some battery on the DAP. I won't even have volume issues, since the line out is volume adjustable.
I'm genuinelly curious, not trying to be an ass here.

Jun 14, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #1,963 of 2,082

you'd risk blowing out the driver of your headphones if you plug it into the line out (and your ears if you so happen to be wearing them)

Jun 14, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #1,964 of 2,082
you'd risk blowing out the driver of your headphones if you plug it into the line out (and your ears if you so happen to be wearing them)
well, i've mistakenly plugged other headphones in the line out multiple times over the years, and it never happened. It actually always sounded quieter than the HP out at the same volume level, for some reason.
If that's the only reason to be weary of it, i don't see a problem with going with the line out, i could even set a lower max volume on the x3ii to be even safer.

Jun 14, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #1,965 of 2,082
well, i've mistakenly plugged other headphones in the line out multiple times over the years, and it never happened. It actually always sounded quieter than the HP out at the same volume level, for some reason.
If that's the only reason to be weary of it, i don't see a problem with going with the line out, i could even set a lower max volume on the x3ii to be even safer.
If you are ok with it fine, but it's not good to recommend to others due to risk of hearing damage. It's safer to raise the volume to the level desired. It will not be much of a difference if there are differences.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back