SONY WH1000XM3 - better than QC35 in noise cancelling?
May 4, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #1,921 of 2,082
You got to understand limitations to ANC. They are not very effective with high frequencies or non-periodic, random sounds. It's a system that has to detect and lower the noise. You cannot predict sounds, so it's effective with periodic noise like engines, etc..

I would recommend iems for your usage scenarios. Look into Etymotic reaearch iems. Good passive isolation is what you want.
I just read that the good thing about the Sony against the Bose is that they better predict sound or respond better to random sounds. But I'll have to go get some in-ear.

May 4, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #1,922 of 2,082
I just read that the good thing about the Sony against the Bose is that they better predict sound or respond better to random sounds. But I'll have to go get some in-ear.
I would assume if the noise has a duration for the system to figure out, but I'm not an ANC expert here. Just common sense tells me you cannot predict the future. Lol

May 4, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #1,923 of 2,082
Just turn up the volume a little bit and call the police on your screaming neighbours. Problem solved.

May 5, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #1,924 of 2,082
I would assume if the noise has a duration for the system to figure out, but I'm not an ANC expert here. Just common sense tells me you cannot predict the future. Lol
That would be crazy, but I don't know. These headphones are rare, I like the truth but what I mentioned before is true, the ANC works differently from the passive isolation that other headphones do.
What is strange to me is that if in-ear ones provide good passive isolation because people say that the in-ear ANC version of sony is worse than the over-ear.

May 6, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #1,925 of 2,082
I'm testing them more thoroughly and I really like them more and more, but I still have that feeling that the in-ear isolates the same. I have a question about the application, if I make the 360 sound configuration using this function, you have to take a picture of your ears, do you need to have the application on your smartphone or are the settings saved in the headphones? I say this because I use them mostly with the notebook and not with the iPhone because I feel that this application consumes a lot.

May 9, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #1,927 of 2,082
Does the M3 use the EQ settings set in the app when in wired mode?
It can be done. Just tested with my iPhone 11 Pro and FiiO M6

May 9, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #1,929 of 2,082
May 10, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #1,930 of 2,082
So, lately I've tried some cheap Samsung iem ANC earphone like Bose QC20 iems, but what a disappointment in ANC performance. It was a shame because the their version looked so much better designed than Bose QC20, and I like the stock tonality of it better than the Bose.

This goes to show that ANC performance depends on how good a company's technology is, and Sony has proven that their ANC processor one of the best performing out there. I hope they can do the same for their microphone technology with good ambient noise filtering.
I'm testing them more thoroughly and I really like them more and more, but I still have that feeling that the in-ear isolates the same. I have a question about the application, if I make the 360 sound configuration using this function, you have to take a picture of your ears, do you need to have the application on your smartphone or are the settings saved in the headphones? I say this because I use them mostly with the notebook and not with the iPhone because I feel that this application consumes a lot.
In certain cases high isolating in-ear like Etymotic with triple flanges has an advantage, but most in-ears do not isolate in such a level, and ANC (like WH-XM3, not just any!) will have superior noise reduction. Where ANC will spank passive noise isolation is in high cyclic noise situations like in public transports and in aircrafts, and that's the best scenarios to test them out.

I recently saw something about people in helicopters wearing Bose headsets with ANC, and it made so much sense as helicopters are rediculously noisy. ANC really does fascinate me as it's so practical.

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #1,932 of 2,082
OK, thanks to hifi80sman I finally found out the Sony 910N (h.ear on 3) is available in Costco US and Canada for $199 and $250 respectively. Between his glowing impressions and my curiosity how this new middle model would do with a new 25mm driver I bought a pair today.

I have to blunt here. These kick the 1000XM3 square in the @$$ musically speaking assuming have the same gripes I have about the 1000XM3. Ie. That they are to dark sounding, to smoothed out, lacking sparkle and air. If you feel that way about your 1000XM3 or have a oided buying a pair for those reasons. Then run and buy a pair of the 910N as they suffer from ZERO of those issue. I have heard they won't be as good for ANC but if they hit 75-85% of the ANC I will be more than happy with that result.

They are comfortable, and sonically one of the best Sony headphones I have heard in years and the best Sony ANC model I have heard period.

I own the 1000XM3, the old 100ABN and at least 1 other ANC BT Sony product and they best all of them easily. Some aspects that stand out, tonally accurate, great dynamics especially since that is an area most ANC headphone struggle with, and they also have a great sense of air another area ANC struggles with.

I believe Sony deliberately held these back to sell the flagship 1000XM3 but now that they are here I think audiophiles may just have found their best ANC option, certainly their most affordable option.

May 18, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #1,933 of 2,082
OK, thanks to hifi80sman I finally found out the Sony 910N (h.ear on 3) is available in Costco US and Canada for $199 and $250 respectively. Between his glowing impressions and my curiosity how this new middle model would do with a new 25mm driver I bought a pair today.

I have to blunt here. These kick the 1000XM3 square in the @$$ musically speaking assuming have the same gripes I have about the 1000XM3. Ie. That they are to dark sounding, to smoothed out, lacking sparkle and air. If you feel that way about your 1000XM3 or have a oided buying a pair for those reasons. Then run and buy a pair of the 910N as they suffer from ZERO of those issue. I have heard they won't be as good for ANC but if they hit 75-85% of the ANC I will be more than happy with that result.

They are comfortable, and sonically one of the best Sony headphones I have heard in years and the best Sony ANC model I have heard period.

I own the 1000XM3, the old 100ABN and at least 1 other ANC BT Sony product and they best all of them easily. Some aspects that stand out, tonally accurate, great dynamics especially since that is an area most ANC headphone struggle with, and they also have a great sense of air another area ANC struggles with.

I believe Sony deliberately held these back to sell the flagship 1000XM3 but now that they are here I think audiophiles may just have found their best ANC option, certainly their most affordable option.
Here I am waiting for the XM4 to decide....

May 19, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #1,934 of 2,082
May 19, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #1,935 of 2,082

Users who are viewing this thread

Back